1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education and homosexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sal, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Sal

Sal Guest

I've recently learned that it is illegal to teach or talk about homosexuality in my school. My English teacher was telling us about how one of her students wanted to write his final paper on his struggles with being gay. You had to present them to the whole class and in my school that's a big no no. Apparently he went to court with this and they voted in his favor on the condition that he present it to only the teacher, principle, counselor, and his attorney.

Now looking back, I realize that homosexuality was never mentioned during all of my time as a student; except once in psychology, but that wasn't very pleasant. Sure you see it occasionally in the halls, but in class it's like some unspoken code. Heck, every thing I know comes from the internet and school sex Ed was confusing. I don't think I've ever been given a proper talk before. STDs, protection, protocol?! I'm diving in shark infested waters!!!

Do any of your schools cover homosexuality and what is it like?

2. sysreq

I'm homeschooled now, but my middle school....
    I asked, innocently, in health class. (sex ed.) The teacher glared at me then said, "That is a forbidden topic. It is wrong, and doesn't belong in a peaceful environment."

3. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was taught homosexuality is normal at school.

Most students were Muslims so they were like BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA GAWD DON'T CWEATED DADUM AND DOO-WEEB. BLA BLA YO DON'T SEE DOGS CHASING MEN DOGS BLA BLA BLA GAYZ ARE SO GAYZ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

4. MrBrightside

In my school it was mentioned very briefly, i remember the teacher saying "are any of you here gay?... well we dont need to cover that then". Back home is a bit backwards.

Just something linked to this, those against the same sex marriage bill in scotland wanted a clause allowing teachers to openly teach that homosexuality is wrong... no joke, it was rejected thank god!

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Homosexuality wasn't discussed in the schools that I went to. Wasn't a big deal or anything, we just didn't talk about it. It wasn't an avoidance thing, it was just not ... you get the idea.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In fifth grade... They didn't teach squat about it. Just showed us some puberty videos.
    Then again, the only effect those videos had was made me feel a little jealous of the other guys (for some strange reason, I identified as female back then).
    My sex ed unit is this December, actually.
    Provided I don't go insane with dysphoria, I'll be able to share that in another thread, depending on the timing.

7. person57

In my school it's not really discussed that much but it is discussed ocassionally.

8. I went to school quite along time ago - way not taught

disapproval was really bad - there was sex ed - but only from one side and the genders were separated

9. Sal

Sal Guest

Separate sides? Hah, I wish. Just to increase the awkwardness my school has mixed sex ed. Its always interesting to see a guy puke or pass out during the birthing video. And as a useless skill, I can properly apply a condom. Got to practice on bob the anatomically correct doll :dry:

10. antimacy

Come to think of it, homosexuality, or any non-straight identity for that matter, wasn't really brought up in my education. I attended both Catholic and public schools. Being gay, bisexual, etc, was definitely accepted at my public school, though. Certainly by the staff I encountered, though there would always be a few closed-minded students.

My sex ed was separated by the genders in elementary school. Some middle and high school, we were all taught together, but there still was no mention of having a sexual orientation other than straight.

11. Thedistra

In middle school(8th grade)we had sex ed, I would say it was decently covered. I don't believe homosexuality was mentioned though.

I didn't get to attend the High school one. No birthing video for me (yay).

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went to school when section 28 was in it's twilight years so up until it was repealed there wasn't a single mention of homosexuality. I started high school after it was repealed and even then it was still something of a taboo subject, I don't recall anyone asking about it. When we did sex ed it was just "this is how straight people do it" which consisted of two live action people morphing into courtroom drawings of something that resembled sex (or a half guard in Brazilian Ju Jitsu) and not much else. Although ours was mixed gender we were spared the horrors of a birthing video or I've repressed that memory really well.

Answers on a postcard if you know how they expected any closeted gays in the school to learn about safe sex without going blind because of the internet.

13. Right now in Denmark, the ministry of education is revising all official textbooks looking for sexist and homophobic views. For example they're going to change a book that claims that at a certain age, children develop an interest in the opposite sex.

14. Glalie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There really was no mention of it at my school. I don't know what the laws in Alabama are about teaching about it, but I'm gonna guess that the teachers aren't supposed to say anything. We had a gender separated sex ed class in 7th grade and about a week long discussion in our health class in 9th grade, but homosexuality was never even mentioned, in a good or bad context.

15. Silver Sparrow

NT- that's really cool!
    My school is pretty liberal- we have some sex ed, but our health class this year is about healthy relationships. Our teacher tries really hard to make people use gender neutral language (my school is all female), which I really like. When we have situations that we have to discuss, some of the characters are queer. It's never been a huge taboo, but there can be rumors that go around. And our GBSTA is pretty active too, so that's pretty good. The lower grades though.... eh. Grades 5-8, GBSTA isn't allowed to put posters in their hallway, and we only get to talk to the 8th grade health classes.

16. practice? hah! they mentioned them! but show them! not a chance. I do remember that in Jr high I was told the teacher showed the other girls how on a banana read below.

I got tired of taking the classes after 4,5,6th so I told my mom to refuse to sign the permission slip in 7th & 8th grade so I could get out of it (!) I got to go read any book I wanted to in the library on my own during the class :lol: I got teased about it but I got teased all the time anyway

and in high school I don't remember any

17. ArtSaves

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At my school our sex ed classes were reeeaally bad, but they did mention breifly homosexuality, in a good way. Things with homosexuality at my school were strange; you could write whatever number of essays you wanted defending homosexuality, but I don't think that they would accept that well if you were openly gay.

18. purplekitty

^^ Basically my school. I live in a pretty conservative area (lots of military), which meant that a lot of the students and teachers were conservative. LGBTQIAP issues were not address in any formal way during my sex ed.

19. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to high school 1959-1963. Homosexuality officially did not exist. I learned what little I learned about heterosexuality as extracurricular activities, on the back seat of a Buick.

20. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of the few sex-ed classes I attended no. There was a kid that asked about it during one of the classes and the teacher basically told him "we're not going to go over that and never to ask again" so yep.