1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why don't I like kids?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Nov 29, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been trying to figure out why I don't like kids. I don't like them at all, I don't think babies are cute, and I can't even imagine myself ever having one. Yesterday after Thanksgiving dinner, my cousin's 4-year-old son didn't want to leave his great-grandma's house and threw a fit. I sat there thinking, "Add that to the growing list of reasons why..." and you can probably guess what the rest of the sentence is about.

But even beside that, the fact that I don't like kids goes against the nature of biology and human genetics. Animals of all kinds, yes including humans, are hard-wired to reproduce. Only some species do a better job of it than others. Male dogs are really horny, and when the neighbor dog is in heat, well, she's got a lot of other dogs that will hang around waiting.

But even humans, who've managed to make the reproduction process so much more complicated, still have their own biological safeguards to continue the species. Women have the biological clock, and studies are showing that men even have a biological clock in them too. We get the urge to reproduce later in life, if we haven't already done so.

We're also hard-wired to like babies. When a woman breastfeeds, the chemical Oxytocin is released to bond her to her child. This is the same chemical that is released when a person of either gender has an orgasm, the purpose being to bond you to your partner.

Most articles I've read about this subject have been about women who were either A. too invested in their career to want/have time/energy for kids or B. in the words of Jill Akridge from ThoughtCatalog.com,

Maybe it's an Autism thing, but as a man, am I the only one who doesn't like kids? My parents still think that it's a phase and that I'll be a family man one day. My mom uses Asperger's as a scapegoat for everything from the physical and verbal abuse she suffers at the hands of my brother to everything that's ever been wrong with me. And yet she says, "Oh, you'll understand when you spawn a child of your own."

Well, I can promise you that I will never be a biological father. Some have told me that I "contracted" Autism by the measles vaccine from when I was an infant. Sorry to ruffle the feathers of the 25% of parents who believe that, but all the research shows that the whole "Vaccines cause Autism" campaign is a bunch of hoohah. My dad has all the signs of it, and both of his children have it. So if my partner and I ever decide to have children through a surrogate mother, they will not be using my sperm, as I would not want my kids to have Autism. And mom, I don't know how as a doctor you wouldn't know this, but my boyfriend and I can have sex a million times and a child will never happen as a result of that.

But I never quite understood that, why I don't like kids. I love dogs, and while I don't particularly enjoy cleaning up after them when they mess on the floor as puppies, but they're best friends who will love and cherish their humans from day one until they take their last breaths, and that makes it worth it. Kids aren't like that, as my parents are finding out. My dogs are my kids, and I love them accordingly.

2. timo

I detest kids and I'm very, very certain I will never have them. I've felt this way for as long as I can remember and my dislike of kids has only gotten bigger over the past few years. So no, you're definitely not the only guy feeling this.

I don't think it's bad anyway. Some people just don't have that natural instinct and let's face it, I'm glad they don't cause the world is overpopulated already.

I think this all. the. time. when a kid does something I don't like.

Meanwhile, I keep reading, cause I'm curious about other answers.

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hell no. Maybe not even in a minority regarding the subject.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know more people who dislike kids than who do like kids, and among people I know, I'm considered weird for having wanted to work with kids for many years.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always thought fawning over babies was a female thing. To me, most babies are kinda-sorta cute if they're not covered in bodily fluids, and even then generically so. It's rare one baby is cuter than another, so when people come up to me with a baby going "o boo boo widduw baybee!!" I honestly don't care even a little XD.

That said, I don't hate kids. I'd even say I want to be a father. I just wish I could see my kid when he or she is first born, then fast forward through the toddler years until about 4-5. That's when they can actually converse with you and things get interesting. You also begin to see their personality develop, which I imagine is very rewarding for a parent.

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love kids and study child development but the more I learn about genetics and developmental disorders and think about what risk factors I'd be passing onto my kids, the more certain I am that I don't want to have any. At least not ones that are biologically mine.

7. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Children are always hated in capitalist societies.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dislike kids. Except for kids my own age, I never liked younger kids the older I got.

Babies need so much attention, and I don't have that level of patience. But babies grow up to be Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, and Presidents, so I've heard that argument, too. Then, you have a long period of time when their reasoning skills and naivete are high, and you have to be hyper-vigilant of them. Then, some teenagers turn on their parents and it can get unwieldy. And all the while, whether a person is married, divorced, or single, they cost a lot of money.

I think Kinsey 0s, and particularly women, like kids. For many, having them is instinctive and defines them as complete people. I think that it's common among many GLBT folks not to like kids. Note how many prefer cats and dogs.

9. Thedistra

I don't like babies. Older kids are fine though. I could see having one or two if someone i was with wanted children, later in life. Otherwise I would be content without them.

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually wish I could have kids, and kinda have always wanted them. I know there's the possibility of adoption, or me fathering a child, but that's not the same. But, then, I suppose my biological clock is ticking.... I would just sorta wish they could be born, be babies, then be kids, skipping being toddlers.

11. Bolin

I've posted about this before, but I really don't want children. I have an insanely large family (we're talking around 20 aunts and uncles total, most of which with kids, and some of those kids with kids), and I'm among the "older" cousins, so I spent a lot of my preteen - teenage years practically babysitting the mountains of younger cousins. There's also my youngest sister who's 9 years younger than me, and at times, it felt like I had to help raise her (especially since our father was never around). It just feels like that (along with other things) just robbed me even more of my own childhood. I'm just ready to live my life without children constantly being present. So that on top of the fact that I really don't like children (too much stress for me...), I won't ever have them. Completely non-negotiable.

12. Gen

Gen

I would never have biological kids, but I plan to adopt. My genes aren't have bad in my opinion, but I simply have no personal desire to pass them on. While I obviously understand the necessity of reproduction, I feel its a bit selfish to have biological kids simply for the sake of having biological kids when they are plenty already alive who need care no less.

In regards to raising/caring for them, I feel about the same way I do about pets. I despise being around cats and dogs unless they are mine. (I do love animals, but for those who don't know, I am also quite germaphobic. I really have to care for something or someone to look past the fact that we are all bacterial cesspool).

13. Techno Kid

I do not understand this statement... we live in a capitalist society yet many people love kids (even those who have no problem with capitalism).

Yeah capitalism is bad, but I don't really think the general population is taught to hate kids.

To respond to the OP, I personally love children and would like to raise them one day, but don't think there is anything particularly strange about not liking them either. :slight_smile:

#13 Techno Kid, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  14. Sarcastic Luck

Don't like kids and have never wanted them. It's bad enough that pictures of pregnant women gross me out. I have no idea why, either.

15. Saint Otaku

That's just silly and, I suspect, dogma-driven.

Anyhow, I absolutely adore children, but I don't want the responsibility of caring for them when they're not so adorable -- but that could always change...

#15 Saint Otaku, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  16. purplekitty

I don't really want kids either. It's not that I don't like them though; I'm the oldest of six and I care very much for my younger siblings. However, other kids don't listen to me and that can be really annoying. I just don't want the kind of responsibility required for kids. I mean, one false move and I feel like I might destroy their morals/world view forever. I know that's probably paranoia or something, but I don't want to risk it. So, I think I'd be fine as an aunt, but not as a parent.

As for babies, I don't see what the whole cute thing is about. Yeah their cheeks make them kinda funny looking, but I don't see why people fawn over babies that aren't even theirs.

17. biggayguy

This is why rich people like nannies and boarding schools. Then the parents only see the kids when they choose.

18. method

I want kids.

I think there is some truth to the "you'll know when you have your own". People don't say it for no reason - and I will go as far as to say that at least a few of those people probably didn't like the idea of kids before they had them.

I don't think you can make a judgment on the value of having kids through outside observations and even others' attestations, because, yes they can be little shits sometimes, but there's a certain happiness to find in having kids that I don't think can be objectively explained.

I also think how we were raised as kids influences our disposition to like or dislike the idea of kids.

19. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've always been quite good with kids, and I've often wished I had a little brother or sister. I have two cousins that I see fairly regularly that are 9 and 10 and even though they can be annoying, it's still fun to play with them. For some reason, toddlers and younger just seem to bond with me, and I get almost "broody". It's one of the few things I dislike about homosexuality, the inability to have kids.

Artificial uterus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Artificial Wombs and Pregnant Men | Alternet

This is something that interests me. Is it possible to get men pregnant, or get a woman pregnant using the DNA from two men? If it's doable, it could completely revolutionise the way we see marriage, sexuality, even life itself.

20. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love kids, and I think a large part of that is due to me being an only child was growing up with over a dozen cousins nearby and always interacting with them for holidays/birthdays.

One of my favorite compliments was from an older gentleman who observed me playing with some kids at a children's hospital. He said I really knew how to work with them and make them feel like they were doing something important.

Sure, kids can be annoying, but these are all just manifestations of their immature psychology, and they can be dealt with, and they will respect you if you treat them with respect.

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2013 at 10:05 PM ----------

A woman could have twins that have different fathers (i.e. two eggs that are separately fertilized). Male pregnancy may be possible, but it might not be ethical.
    Male pregnancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia