1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing to forgive ... or not to

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The choice to forgive is up to the person.

If someone has done something absolutely horrible and gratuitous, to you, a loved one, or a friend, do you forgive them? Do you think you should? Or should you just forgive but not forget? Or should you just both forgive and forget?

There's all this talk about how spiritually divine forgiveness is. If someone keeps repeating the same transgressions, they haven't learned and don't deserve the forgiveness. I've done all of these - not forgiven, forgiven but not forgotten, forgiven and forgotten, and have also gone from forgiving back to unforgiving.

Any thoughts on and experiences with forgiveness?

By the way, I once ran into this book at the bookstore and skimmed it. I need to actually read it.

Forgiving and Not Forgiving: Why Sometimes It's Better Not to Forgive: Jeanne Safer: 9780380794713: Amazon.com: Books

2. Saint Otaku

I'd say it's best to forgive. Forgetfulness would be difficult to achieve, so all people really do is become ignorant of when they "forget" one's transgressions. Of course, it may be useful to save forgiveness till the problem has been resolved, as hatred and resentment can be very productive...

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would depend on the circumstances but I have forgiven, but not forgotten. Saint Otaku already said it; forgetting would be hard to achieve, as we never really forget things. There will always be a reminder of the horrible or gratuitous act.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could write a response as long as the dictionary to that question.

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really try to forgive whenever possible. There is the saying "Holding on to Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die"-Buddha.

Somethings are harder to forgive than others but I think it is important to forgive if it only to give us a person peace of mind.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My personal thing for that is "Always forgive, never forget." I believe forgiving someone who wronged you makes you a stronger person, but you must not forget what they did.

7. biggayguy

Choosing not to forgive leads to bitterness. Bitterness will eat you up from the inside out. I'm not saying that it's easy. I'm just saying forgiveness is better for you in the long run. Short of having Alzheimer's I don't know how you forget. Ever hear the saying; "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me." That's how I feel about forgetting.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So can I.

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2013 at 07:40 PM ----------

I've heard this, or something close to it. However, certain people are comfortable having certain dynamics with you, and others, and they are toxic. It's hard to forgive them. They won't change. That's why I believe in doing an overall assessment of someone and keeping one's distance if they are trouble.

9. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Forgiving doesn't mean forming or reforming a relationship. It means either forgiving the person in person or forgiving them in your heart, but never talking to them again.

10. photoguy93

It really depends on the situation. For example, one of my best friends has essentially picked her boyfriend over keeping our friend at the top peak. I've learned to move on and forgive and I have learned that we will fix it someday. It will be okay.

However, the girl that tried to attack me and who verbally harassed me freshman year? Yeah...not really forgiving here. More like moving on. She made her bed and is now going to go...sleep in those dirty sheets.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about a relative who you have to keep on having contact with, out of necessity and commingled financial dealings, who constantly trespasses? There was a period when I had forgiven, and things had gotten better because of a relocation (mine), and then got worse upon a return to the area. Nothing has changed.

12. AmityRanch

If I feel like I've been wronged to the extent you described, there won't be any forgiveness.

If it's only a friend, I'll send them an e-mail, detailing how disappointed I am in them, and then I'd be done.
    If it's a family member on the other hand (and what they did was REALLY bad) I'd never speak to them again.

Luckily, I'm in a position where that will probably never happen.

#12 AmityRanch, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can forgive, but I can't forget. My strained relationship with my dad is a prime example. When I was really young, he was sometimes physically abusive in addition to verbally abusive, usually taking out work stress on my mom and me.

I used to really hate his negativity and complaints, especially when he was loose-tongued and tried to spread rumors about my mom to both his relatives and her relatives. But now that I'm older and independent, I just think he's pathetic since he became an alcoholic, has chronic hemorrhoids, and has been unemployed for close to two years. He is a shell of a man.

14. PalestrinaMX

I can forgive, but I have a very hard time trying to forget. I'm one of those people who replay the whole thing over and over in my head again, even if I don't want to, small things remind me of people who haven't been so kind to me, or betrayed my trust.

15. Hexagon

Forgiveness is not always about whether someone regrets their actions or has changed. I'm not too sure that 'forgiving' someone who deeply regrets their actions is forgiveness at all. Its just saying "thats alright, you didn't mean to" or whatever. Whereas forgiveness is given to those who don't deserve it, because they're the ones who actually need it.

Another thing. Forgiveness is not necessarily seeing someone again, trusting them, allowing them in your life or anything. And its certainly not forgetting. Its releasing your anger and hatred towards them.

16. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is what I am saying. Forgiving does not mean reforming a relationship or even trusting that person again. It is about releasing anger, because anger will turn into spite and even hate if it is held on for long enough.

17. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I can never forget and forgiving is a lot of effort for me. If someone does something really bad to me then I tell myself that they dont deserve forgiving since they had that nasty mindset in the first place. I wish I could forgive easier though, I would be a lot less angry and more relaxed.

18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure that I can forgive some of the things that have happened to me. Being raped, I feel an indifference towards. I feel like I should feel pain and be hurting, but I'm not, and that is, (sigh) well, the best word I can describe it with is eerie.

Every time I see my dad, he reopens the wounds. He justified his being cut out of my life a little more today, as condescending and verbally abusive and domineering he is.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

i don't forgive or forget. it's probably not healthy to hold as many grudges as i do, but it's always how i've been

20. blueberrymuffin

A former best friend basically begged forgiveness last summer, for things that happened 3 years ago. I used to wish we had parted more civilly so there's at least some memories to savor. After so much time passed and i moved away to begin a new life, i realized though how little we had in common anymore and our distance was for the best.

Apologies don't undo what we've been put thru, but if you find a way to live happily without that person, you've got your revenge. No need to keep holding on to to bitterness.