1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I can't love myself

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Nov 30, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Premises:
    1). I'm only attracted to people who don't love themselves (arrogant people annoy me)
    2). I look at myself as I do other people

Proof by contradiction:

Suppose I love myself:

Then I must not love myself as I'm only attracted to people who don't love themselves
    This is an contradiction

Suppose I don't love myself:

a); Either I love myself which will cause another contradiction
    or
    b). I for some other reason dislike myself

Therefore to avoid a recursive loop of not loving and loving myself I have to always find
    something about me that stops me loving myself or the idea of loving myself is incoherent.

"loving myself is incoherent" is more reasonable as there is no reason why I would nessacry
    have some reason to stop loving myself.

Therefore it is impossible for me to love myself. Q.E.D

Is my logic sound?

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This made me smile very much due to enjoying proofs and such.

One thing that I noticed in your proof is that, while the logic is very sound, you equate arrogancy to loving of oneself. The love that one has for theirself does not equal to arrogancy. Arrogancy happens when you take a set of all people and designate yourself as the supremum of the set (believing you are greater than OR equal to everything in the set), known as priding yourself. Pride is acceptable up to a certain point, but once pride supercedes that point, it becomes too much/

3. then - time to stop looking outside yourself and start working an you and who you are going for and what you are looking at

my first relationships were with destructive people - actual people who hurt me

I corrected that and now things are better

it is called growth - when we stop growing we are dead

4. UndercoverGypsy

Or maybe you just love people who don't brag about themselves rather than people who actually dislike themselves.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem with your logic was that you regard both options (both love and non-love of one's self) as "negative", contrary to the first premise. Your first premise implies that people who love themselves are arrogant (a negative for most people).

Therefore it is not a contradiction to say that to love those who don't love themselves (taken to mean "not arrogant"), you must be not arrogant yourself in order for the second premise to be true. Perhaps "selfless" is a more positive-sounding term.

6. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You guys are probably right. Loving yourself doesn't nessacrily imply arrogance. The biggest problem with my "proof" is actually the assumption that regarding emotion that something is either true or false. However the law of excluded middle arguebly does not apply. As emotions can be subjective and things can be kind of true or a bit false and so on.

7. bitchyetough

I actually understand you opinion and I'm pretty much the same.
    But I can't help but find the concept of loving yourself as negative.
    To love oneself is in my opinion unhealthy.
    If you love yourself, you are truely happy with yourself, thusly being complete and as a result often not open to criticism nor able to use a third person perspective regarding yourself.
    Self respect is far more important and productive than loving yourself.

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People can shove their criticism up their buttocks (lol don't get offended). That is what I hate about people. Always criticisng other people for f all reasons. Probably it allows them to flare their nostrils and get all WAAAAAAAAAAA I'M BWETTER THAN UUUUUUU SO LISTEN TO ME GUZ I KNOWZ EVERYTHIN! LOl

As long as you are able to eat, sleep and survive on a daily basis you win at life. Therefore, you should love yourself.

#8 MrAllMonday, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  9. bitchyetough

criticism is important for self development and you aren't obliged to act upon it, it's called being constructive, hence the term.
    and people that have the superiority complex vs others like you described are often people that love themselves, the last time i checked.