1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I had a million dollars...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Dec 1, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I deposited $1,000,000 in your bank account tomorrow, what would you do with it? Would you spend it on yourself or others? Invest it? Give it away?

Now I'm required to post this based on the obvious reference.

[YOUTUBE]LHacDYj8KZM[/YOUTUBE]

If I won a million dollars, that would solve so many problems. That would pay both of our tuition, buy us a house somewhere warm after we graduate, and give us a nest egg to start our careers and start a retirement fund with. The fact that I could pay my own tuition would mean that a few people will never hear from me again, leading to a lot less depression and sleepless nights.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Invest it and turn it into many millions of dollars. I'd keep an acceptable investment portfolio, but other than what I'd spend on myself to cure my worldly problems, I'd donate most of it to people who need it more than I do. I always resent rich people for buying decadent things while others fight to survive*, so I couldn't follow the same lifestyle.

*I am a capitalist at heart and feel that they earned it and can spend it how they like, but love for others should outweigh the love of money and luxury.

3. xAlexzanderx

Buy a can of coke

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd feel safe and financially secure - ending sleepless nights and depression as you mentioned. That's really enough for me.

But I'd probably build my dream house, invest a hefty portion of the remainder, and then use some to help others.

It's amazing how money is both the problem and solution to situations.

5. Minamimoto_Fan

Tuition and books are a definite. I'd put some money in the bank. I'd definitely pay off my car and help my parents pay off the home loan. I'd probably give the rest to my boyfriend since he's one in a family of five and they're close to losing the house that they're in

6. tex st

tex st Guest

hell no! i wouldn't spend it, id save it until i figure out a good investment

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would invest most of it. Right now I already have $5000 in investments, and while it's been a little scary, the returns are far better than the paltry sums I get from savings accounts.

Also, since I'm a scientist, I would probably set up my own lab with all the best equipment and do the research I've always dreamed about. I would also help my parents who have made a lot of sacrifices for me to completely focus on school.

8. Kirito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Invest it... value style. Then help myself and then the ones I love and then the world. I might even become a billionaire depending on the tax code, tim horizon and return.

9. Sarcastic Luck

Immediately dump half of it into a savings account. Put about 250K into another savings account for university. Shove 50K at my parents to pay off bills/finish up the house, and use the remaining 200K for various things, specifically, gender therapist and all that stuff.

10. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Invest most of it and use the rest to go travelling around the world. Obviously help my family with their money issues first though.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's only 611,000 Pounds Sterling though

12. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Ok, thats what I would do if I lived in the US :slight_smile:.

13. timo

$1m... that's €735.000. Hmm.

First I'd pay off my student loans, then I'd buy a nice car. Or two. After that I'd have about 600k left, which I'd put in my savings account. Definitely NOT going to buy a house as I have no idea where I will be living. Not want to run the risk of buying a house then having to move for a great job opportunity. And selling your house is nearly impossible these days.

But I'll never have a million.

14. Xirahii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Instantly put it into savings and never look back until the hype passed, otherwise I'd probably squander it all on ridiculous things before I could even bat an eyelash. ._.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, $1 million dollars. It would not be enough to get me through to a reasonable life expectancy such that I could quit working and do the few not very expensive things I like to do.

So, if I won $1 million dollars, I'd switch from a career type job to a job-job, and I don't care what my peers would think. I'd move to some place less expensive, and still scenic or pleasant. They DO exist, but I'd have a hard time deciding on one for year-round living. I would probably keep a car, but nothing special, and drive it into the ground. I would want to take 1 or 2 trips a year, on the "Lonely Planet" more budget oriented scheme ... not that I spend a lot when I travel now. I might get a dog, and maybe even a cat. I might volunteer to some extent. I would plan to give away about 5% of it to charity, and you have to be careful about the ones you select, but release the funds a little at a time. Keep in mind that Social Security and Medicare will kick in during most of our lifespans,for those in the U.S.

16. I have considered this actually (to much time on my hands)

pay off debts I don't really owe but I am getting harassing calls for (medical stuff) $5,000

buy a nice place in the country where I can finally get some REAL peace and quite again or an island if I could find one

get an education

invest the rest of it

17. Mrtambourineman

Invest it ....save it....but a nice house in Sydney Australia and a small flat in a coastal Massachusetts town...

18. Projectfabulous

-Save some away for medical school.
    -Give $100,000 to my Sister and her Fiance
    -Throw an awesome party for me and my friends.
    -Donate some to a variety of charities
    -Save $100,000 for myself for whatever else I want
    -Divide up the rest and give it to my friends for their college tuition, cars, or whatever really

19. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Bribe Fred Phelps and his family into stopping the protests.

Million well spent I reckon.

20. Thedistra

As of right now, I would buy a house near my dad's family, have him move in, then allow him to get whatever he wants.