1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pride parades should continue even after LBGT becomes a "normal" thing.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by livi, Dec 1, 2013.

1. livi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yea i want us all to get the same equal rights as straight people.. But that shouldnt mean we should get rid of pride right? A straight friend asked me "why should you need a pride parade? Youre pretty much equal now!"

To me, pride is a celebration of the abolishment of all the suffering this community went through in the past. Not sexuality :slight_smile:

2. lukeluvznicki13

I agree with you on that!
    I think its also to celebrate and support people for who they are and to also spread awareness and acceptance x]

3. bitchyetough

Once LGB&T have full rights & acceptance everywhere, pride parades won't be necessary.
    Perhaps an international LGBT celebration day would be put in place like armistice or something of the sort.
    After all, what is the reason straight people dont have pride?

4. livi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Because straight people have never had to fight and suffer for their rights.

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    While I understand where you're coming from, I have to call bullshit on that.
    Jews, Blacks, women, literal retards (i.e. the mentally disabled), many transgender people, immigrants, people who didn't believe in their national religion...
    This list of groups who have fought and suffered for their rights goes on and on. Many of them were straight.

6. livi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Although thats true, nobody has ever had to fight for the pure right to be straight.

7. Amerigo

your friend needs to reconsider this notion of gays already being equal...

[​IMG]

perhaps in small districts of liberal metropolitan america, but globally, oh hell no.

8. DesertTortoise

I don't want to be 'normal' ... not in this fucked up world. Ever.
    I want to be respected, be equal under the law in every way--but if the only way to get that is being normal, then we still need a revolution.
    Being different shouldn't be a liability.
    I agree... keep the celebrations going!

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2013 at 01:16 PM ----------

Where there's injustice anywhere... It's not just about 'us'... our individual lives, or where we happen to find ourselves.

9. jp36

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if one day there is perfect equality for queer folk everywhere in the world, there will still be the history of LGBT oppression and discrimination. So for that reason alone pride parades should and will continue. Americans still celebrate independence day, after all, and I don't see any British kings claiming sovereignty any more!

10. livi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    THIS is the point im making! :slight_smile:

11. Hexagon

Pride parades are not just a fight against oppression, or a reminder of our history. They're an expression of our queer community. They will end when we no longer want a community. I for one, have found it to be the only place I feel at home.

12. Fiddledeedee

I haven't been to a pride event yet. I sure would like to go and I do think they still have purpose, though. I don't know how long that will continue into the future.

And thus religious minorities, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities, immigrants, women, etc. can all have various pride events in whatever fashion is appropriate for their specific issues. These would include people from across the gender and sexuality spectra because gender and sexuality wouldn't be criteria in them; straight, gay, and bi people with disabilities could all rally together for disability rights. But the religious, ethnic, sexuality, ability, and gender dominant groups don't get pride events centered on their group. Able-bodied people have never had to fight for anything because of their abilities, even if they are part of other minorities which are discriminated against. Straight people have never had to fight for straight rights.

13. Amerigo

i'm not sure i understand what you are saying, but i take it you agree that on the grand scheme of things, ignorance is very much alive spanning an array of areas (yes, not just concerning the lgbt agenda).

14. starfish

Why the hell not. Yeah maybe they won't be as big a deal, but we have all kinds of parades, so why not a gay pride parade.

15. Silver Sparrow

Like Joanna Hoffman said "you can't be proud of something you've never had to fight for". Pride events/ parades in the traditional sense aren't my thing (I don't like crowds or noise), but I do think they are important.

16. biggayguy

If there ever comes a day when pride parades aren't needed...
    They will still be loads of fun! They are a time when gay people of all types get together for a common cause. I think we would all miss that sense of community if pride parades stopped. I never knew there were so many gay people here locally until my first pride event.

17. Your map is outdated which might invalidate your point a bit.

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is probably the most important point, it is very hard to see, all at once, this community as a community, I never could appreciate the sheer numbers, and number of community organizations built around the one fact that brings us together, without experiencing it in the context of a parade and the events surrounding it (as in Pride Week here in Montreal).

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the map. The map is, as we say, all over the map.

Things in liberal urban America are often completely different from conservative rural America, which can be extremely intolerant and even hostile.

Actually, there are factions in liberal areas that aren't as liberal as one would believe. Many suburbs of liberal cities in the U.S. lean conservative, though not radically so. If I recall, I saw what looked like some fairly enlightened, urban, and middle aged looking people protesting in Paris FR (on the TV) when the issue of same-sex marriage came up.

20. Happy Guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When has it become normal? Western country surely have done great progress but rest of us are still stuck in stone age. You can't imagine how hard it is for us.