1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by goodisgood, Jun 16, 2008.

1. goodisgood

goodisgood Guest

Okay, so last week I got a new(er) car and I really like it. It's a silver 2004 Toyota RAV-4. I thought it was a really nice car, and my parents really liked it because of it's reliability and good gas mileage. However, while looking I was overly conscious about whether the car I was going to get looked like a car for girls or for guys, or one that one gender drove more frequently than another. Much to my dismay, today someone told me that I had a "girl car" and many others have described it as "cute" or "pretty".

What do you think about this? I mean, I know it ultimately doesn't matter because it serves its purpose: it gets me from here to there. But still, I don't really want to feel self-conscious when driving because I think someone is going to suspect I'm gay if I drive a girl car--I'm already self-conscious enough without that added weight.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had a similar worry? Am I making too much out of too little?

2. Hoppip

What's wrong with being cute or pretty?

Besides, man cars are NOT all cool as 'girl' cars.

3. MeskElil

Oh, gosh, it's fine. A car's a car. And if you like it, that's even better.
    I'm going to drive a huge pickup truck, so it's kind of similar for me but the opposite, you know? I'm going to get accused of being a dyke (which I am, so it's cool). But it doesn't matter. If it gets you places, it's serving its purpose.

4. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Try not to feel self-conscious about breaking gender stereotypes. You'd be much more unhappy if you spent your life checking your behaviour (and cars) for sufficient masculinity. :slight_smile: Sod the haters, it's their loss.

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I drive a purple girlie car that's my mom's old car. I honestly don't give a shit what other people think. It handles great, was inexpensive, hasn't given mechanical problems and is good on gas.

6. otc877

otc877 Guest

I know where you're coming from. I've always wanted a Mini Cooper mostly because I think they're one of the coolest cars, but I'm a bit hesitant about it being a 'girly' car.

7. panda

Years ago when the Mini Coopers first came out there were racing series for the Cooper SS.They were fantastic race cars and incredibly fast. The Mini Copper's pedigree is that of a race car and not a "Girlie" car.

8. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not exactly masculine, but that does not look like a girly car, besides, who cares!

Me too! But if I do, I'll have to get a job or hobby where I'd actually use it properly.

9. Jeimuzu

I want to drive a Mazda when I finally pass my test. That's pretty damn gay.

The only really manly car that I like is the post-'05 Ford Mustang, and they're pretty much exclusively American cars.

10. Beebo

"I know it ultimately doesn't matter" -- If having a stylish car didn't matter , then we would all go around wearing trenchcoats and unitards from startrek. Since style does matter, you chose a car whose style, you liked; something that probably matches your personal preference.

Now you can either be ashamed of your choice of cars, and say "my mom picked it", if your friends ever rag on you for it, OR you can be comfortable with the fact that you like cars that might be a tinge 'girly'. If you choose the latter, some people might disagree with you, but they will respect your confidence. Don't force them to understand why you like the car though, because that would probably end with you coming out to them.

11. Jeimuzu

Yeah, totally agree. It's something you'll use most days, you don't want to get up and think "Oh god, it's ugly..." so style does help. If you like your Rav4, think of it as your own little secret way of being honest with yourself; your little treat. There are much gayer cars than the Rav4, anyways. If someone rags at you for it... well, start ragging on their car. Start talking about how they're just jealous because their car is held together with rust, or how it costs them more on petrol, or that it's just plain ugly. Don't be aggressive about it, just take the mickey a little. Turnabout is fair play.

12. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    Hey... I drive a purple minivan. So... yeah, lol. I never thought of it as a 'girlie car' because I'm the one driving it and I don't look at me when I'm driving lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. agraves

I think my car is kinda gender neutral. I drive a greenish silverish Mazda 6. But I agree with what the others are saying and you shouldn't worry about what other people think (I know that's easier said than done at times though). As long as it gets you to where you're going and you like it, well, that's all that matters.

14. sdc91

I don't think Rav-4s are girly. All the people I know who drive them are guys.

By the way, the Mustang is a chick car. Sorry Jeimuzu! If you look at who drives them, 80% are girls.

15. WilbersRevenge

It's not really a girly car. And if it is around where you live, it is just a car and you will survive. But if the constant fear of scrutiny is to much for you, just make some exuse as to why you got it, like "It was a really good deal" or your parent's paid for it, so you had no say.

But as far as gender-typing cars, the stereo-types are only there so we can brake them.
    I should know, I drive a VW Beetle :icon_wink

16. Pancake

i would say that it is neutral..if you want a mascaline car try a Aston Martin V8 Vantage convertible

17. Jeimuzu

Not sure your average teen has that sorta money. That's like, £100,000 or something.

You've been watching too much top gear. :wink:

18. interstella

I am SO getting a beetle when I'm 18!

19. goodisgood

goodisgood Guest

Thanks for all the responses...I definitely agree with what you're all saying. I think it's just something I need to work on because I'm too worried about what others are thinking about everything all the time...even though I try to hide that I worry about that. So, in the end...I like my car, it serves its purpose...I don't think anyone would make a big deal about it and if they did I could tease and play along. It really is no big deal...if I don't worry about everyone being able to see me belting and jamming with non-tinted windows in my car, than I shouldn't worry about what they think of the type of car.

20. eclipse

eclipse Guest

Who cares what gender your car seems to convey? If you have fun with it, it doesn't matter what others think. I drive a bright yellow jeep wrangler (stick shift) and - you guessed it - got crap for it while i was in high school. But once my friends went for a ride with me, they all changed their minds and said "hey, this is actually a really fun and awesome car!"

only downside was the gas mileage (16 miles/gal - OUCH).