1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merry Christmas VS Happy Holidays

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Menaki-Neko, Dec 2, 2013.

?

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

1. Merry Christmas

31 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Happy Holidays

10 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Both/Depends

33 vote(s)
    40.2%
  4. Neither/Niether

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Which do you say?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I say "Happy holidays" because I'd much rather piss off someone who gets angry about me being inclusive of people who aren't like them than risk making someone feel excluded.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being Jewish, saying Happy Holidays is a natural stance; but I don't mind saying Merry Christmas to Christians. Non-Jews are kind enough to wish me a Happy Hanukah, so I return the favour.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy Holidays. Not everyone celebrates Christmas, so I might as well include everyone in saying Happy Holidays.

5. Sitri

I only say merry Christmas, much to the annoyance to me atheist and Jewish friends. But honestly I don't veiw Christmas as religious so I keep forgetting that it is not some all inclusive holiday.

6. dbkoops

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is my situation and my stance, also.

7. ScatteredEarth

Merry Christmas. I honestly don't care.. If you're gonna get pissed at me because I said a phrase, that's your problem. I don't view Christmas as a religious thing.

8. Blic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Both, depending on the circumstance and who I am speaking with. If I don't know them and their religious or philosophical orientation I am more likely to use Happy Holidays. If I know they celebrate Christmas I will use Merry Christmas.

On a related subject, I really don't get the whole war on Christmas thing, it's just words, celebrate whatever you want and everyone else will do the same.

9. Xirahii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes I say Merry Christmas, other times I say Happy Holidays. At the end of the day, though, it really doesn't matter to me. Christmas is Christmas. I never really lumped it together with religion.

But I say Merry Christmas most of the time 'cause it just feels more festive to me that way. XD I'd rather be Merry than Happy!

10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could not care any less if I tried...when in doubt, I prefer 'humbug'. If there is a reasonable chance I'll annoy someone by saying the wrong one, and I don't know which it is, I may as well guarantee I'm going to annoy them and make them think I hate christmas! :grin:

11. biggayguy

Unless I know someone is Jewish or Atheist I say Merry Christmas. Being a Christian I celebrate Christmas.

12. xAlexzanderx

Happy holidays so you don't exclude people of other or no religions..

13. Gallatin

Depends on who I'm saying it to. If I know for sure that whoever I'm speaking to celebrates Christmas, then I'll just say Merry Christmas. If I'm not sure (for example, when speaking to a cashier at a store), I usually say Happy Holidays. Once we're very close to Christmas (within a few days), I tend to say Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays.

14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't care if someone got their undies in a twist about me "not being inclusive enough". "Merry Christmas" is a pretty innocuous thing to say. At the same time, Happy Holidays has more alliteration, and almost guarantees that nobody starts whining. I don't really celebrate the holidays at all, so either one will do. But if I know someone doesn't celebrate it, there's no point in being a dick about it, so I'll say "Happy Holidays" to them (and vice versa for those who do celebrate it).

15. Ridiculous

Merry Christmas...
    It is such an ingrained part of our (Western) culture that it no longer has religious connotations for most people. I'm not going to sidestep around this word, for the same reason I'm not going to avoid saying 'Thursday' for fear of upsetting people who don't believe on Thor. If anyone claims offence at the word 'Christmas' then they are looking for reasons to get offended as far as I'm concerned and as such I'll delight in offending them.

What really annoys me is the bastard child of the two - "Happy Christmas". That just sounds wrong.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom always says that "Happy Holidays" was a term for "Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year" all lumped into one. I just don't say anything because I'm sick of Christians getting pissed off at me for saying "Happy Holidays" and I'm sick of people of different religions getting pissed off for saying "Merry Christmas."

I let them wish me a happy whatever holiday they feel like saying, and then reply, "You too."

17. Thedistra

You can't go wrong with Happy Christmas. But ya Merry Christmas is what I say.

18. Techno Kid

Do most people really put a religious attachment to Chirstmas? I kind of feel it's 98% secular anyway.

Usually I avoid the whole situation and just respond back with whichever greeting the person says. Though I might say Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays if they are all decked out for the season (depending on mood).

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've gone with some generic holiday wish unless I know the person celebrates Christmas. It seems safer these days, even though Christmas has a strong secular side, and most people celebrate it.

It's gotten to a point where it feels funny saying Merry Christmas to strangers at Christmas Eve church services... One assumes the people who show up are celebrating Christmas, but it still feels funny.

It's interesting how times have changed. When I was in elementary school, we sang at least one real Christmas carol at a Christmas concert. I truly doubt it was any attempt at indoctrination, but there is no way that could happen today.

20. Tzoa

If I know that the person celebrates Christmas, I say "merry Christmas".

If I don't know the person or what they celebrate (if anything), then I say "happy holidays". This has only been taken negatively once. Last year I said it to a cashier in a really small butcher shop. She glared at me and said in a snippy tone, "It's merry Christmas." Now I know to tell her merry Christmas when we get our Christmas ham this year.