1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Gay is a Choice, and Gays Can Change"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cm81990, Dec 2, 2013.

1. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I think I have come to the conclusion that most people who claim that homosexuality is a choice or that sexual orientation can be changed are people who are inherently bisexual themselves. Yes, it is the "B" in LGBT that has caused so much controversy over the years about making a choice in terms of one's sexual orientation. A person truly straight knows that you can't simply choice and I feel straight people relate better to gay people than bisexuals do in that respect. Could the real antagonist here be bisexuals and not straight people? Interesting article that discusses this:

ยป Are Homosexual Denialists Really Bisexual?

Far too much blame over LGBT problems have been directed at straight people. I think it is far more nuanced than that. Could it be possible that most homophobic bigots are closeted gay/bi? Could it be possible that most misognists are gay men? This is controversial but from my own personal experience (as a gay male) I was very homophobic and borderline misognist in the past. Feminine gay man and the stereotypes used to make my blood boil. I Never had any reason to think sexuality was a choice from the perspective of being 100% gay though. Let the debate begin! Remember, this isn't a personal attack on anyone. This is supposed to open minded yet a bit controversial. Far too long the straight white Christian male has been the antagonist. Lets reexamine that.

2. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's a better question - why does it matter?

3. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Too many blame straight people for everything. My point is that it is far more nuanced.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I disagree. Completely. Most people I've heard say it's a choice are straight, moralistic, and traditional. They are averse to anything GLBT.

However, that the straight white Christian male has been the antagonist is something I almost completely agree with.

Your hard wiring is not a choice. A person's sexuality can manifest itself at different ages. It is more of a predisposition, in my mind, in which someone will respond affirmatively to same sex stimulus and someone else won't.

You can't change someone's hard wiring, so change is not possible, except in some very unusual and negligible cases.

Acting on your desires and attraction is a choice. But since you're hard wired to do so, and that can't be changed, then why not do so? That's how I've looked at it for a long time. It's no big deal, except to the straight white Christian male.

Adding bisexuality to this already muddy area can only complicate and lengthen the discussion, so I think I've expressed enough through my opinion above.

5. Hexagon

So apparently we can change. Why should we?

Its no secret that some homophobes are queers in denial. It makes sense that if they're convinced they've turned away from homosexuality, so they believe others can. However, I honestly doubt that they are in the majority. For the most part, those who blather on about choice are heterosexuals who see us a deviating from the norm and the natural, and prefer to see it as a choice rather than confront how that would change their understanding of the world.

6. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

An interesting perspective and you are entitled to your own opinion. I think you are underestimating the power and danger of internalized homophobia. Something so bottled up can manifest itself in negative ways (e.g. Gay bashing, bullying, anti-gay legislation, conversion camps, etc). No doubt there's homophobic straight white Christian males, but I think closeted gay/bi males with internalized homophobia take it to more of an extreme.

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2013 at 08:05 PM ----------

I agree that many heterosexuals see it as deviating from the norm, but I just don't really believe most of the "it's a choice" argument comes from heterosexuals.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to commend you, for such a novel take on an old theme at EC: "Piss of Bisexuals for No Reason: The Thread"

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do see what you're saying. Internalized homophobia that is festering is indeed dangerous. However, I think the proportion of hateful straight white Christian males is likely to be higher among straight white males than the percentage of closeted gay/bi males among gays/bis as a whole and who are furthermore apt to get into gay bashing and conversion camps. Those few are numerically negligible and not well ... in the head. Most of the closeted gays and bis are in the "get out of the way" category, if we're talking "lead, follow, or get out of the way." Most are burrowing.

And, no, I'm not offended by this debate at all.

9. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

It isn't solely about them. I brought up misogny and gay men, which no one has discussed yet.

10. Beware Of You

What if I don't want to change?

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though you mention misogyny and gay men, based on your posting history, I know that's secondary to the real point you're trying to make. That is why I am questioning the rhetorical purpose of this thread.

It seems to me like this is just another example of your axe-grinding against bisexuals. This continues a pattern that has been going on since at least February this year, maybe longer, where if an opportunity presents itself to say something hostile about bisexuals, you do so. And when told how offensive it is, you simply double down.

Where do you see a constructive conversation? What, in your ideal world, are we going to do if we accept 100% of the arguments you're putting forward here?

As to the article, in my opinion, it's short, not well-explained, and internally cites questionable sources. The first citation is from a Slate article. Bering, in the Slate article, cites the well-known erectile response research. But that research doesn't say people who express homophobia are likely to be bisexual. It says they are likely to be repressing same-sex desire. Which means they could be bisexual or gay. To narrow it to bisexuality makes a stronger claim than what the research actually supports. And then the third citation. "How Stuff Works"? Really? That's not exactly a high level of scholarship.

#11 Pret Allez, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  12. Hexagon

Unless you're claiming that either there is a much higher proportion of non-heterosexuals than has been found experimentally, or that there is little more that 5% of the population that is homophobic, I fail to see how this is possible. And I wouldn't believe anything that directly contradicted the available data.

In response to your secondary point about gay men and misogyny, what are you saying? That men turn gay because they hate women? Or that being gay causes a man to hate women?

Oh, and yeah, I don't exactly thank you for all the bisexual hatred.

#12 Hexagon, Dec 3, 2013
  13. Mrtambourineman

I dont want to change. Im more scared of what people will think of me tbh. I think we are born this way. I dont think you can change.

14. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

My point of view on this has always been that even if it is a choice, who cares? Who people have sex with has nothing to do with me so whatever.

15. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if I could change; I wouldn't want to.

16. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thought that was common sense. If you can choose to be with either gender, then your bisexual. Simple as that. Too bad the people who call sexuality a choice are to stupid to figure that out.

17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Am I the only one who believes in the Kinsey Scale on this forum...
    Anyways, it's just not rational to make a (hypothetical) choice to "become gay".
    Hypothetical Situation: It really is a choice.
    You'd endure a lot of pointless suffering (especially in places like Jamaica).
    You'd get a lot of retarded stereotypes thrown at you.
    Most people would choose to be straight to prevent this.
    If the person lived in a sufficiently accepting area, then they'd want to keep their options open, right?
    I.e., most people would choose to be bisexuals.
    Homosexuality (and heterosexuality, for that matter) would limit your options to one gender. Most people identify as 100% straight (which they are most likely not).

Bam.

#17 An Gentleman, Dec 3, 2013
  18. blueberrymuffin

If this were true, there wouldn't be far more male homophobes out there. It would just all be bisexuals, which are a tiny % of the population, and the other 98% would support us. The other massively detrimental thing you're ignoring is religion. With that level of mind control, of course a huge number who are not gay will insist we can change.

Finally, gender roles are such that it's really drilled into guys' heads to not "act gay" and an admission that gay is not a choice carries some implications: 1) they could have been born gay themselves and just lucked out, crushing that whole hyper-masculine hierarchy; 2) it suggests we don't have as much control over our feelings as we'd like, another thing highly valued in the alpha male.

Someone else said it's simply "dick fear" leading to a strong desire to "beat the gay out of them."

I dislike this thread because of scapegoating bisexuals and also associating LGBT with repressed homosexuals/bisexuals who have nothing better to do than hate on us. I'm sure they exist, but it's playing right into the homophobes' hands. It suggests we should pity instead of shun them or fight back.

19. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually do kind of wonder about this. If I'd been raised as some kind of homophobic hyper-evangelical conservative, distasteful as the thought may be, I could see myself identifying as straight and having those same conclusions.

20. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If I could change I probably would. Look don't get offended and all but I hate being gay. It bought nothing but misery. >.> I wish I could go one day without thinking about being gay and stuff.