1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texting: What seems to be the cut-off age ...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ... for those who prefer to talk over texting? Or to leave a voice mail message when it's for a friend, and not a business with voice mail where you sort of have no choice?

I'm wondering if people have an opinion on this, based on their relatives, friends, parents, and people they know.

2. Hexagon

It seems to differ from person to person, regardless of age. Well, excluding the elderly, I guess. Don't know any of them who like to text.

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, unless you're talking about very broad (i.e., inaccurate and unfair) generalizations, there isn't a cut-off age.

It's person to person.

4. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think there really is a 'cut-off.' My mother texts faaaar more frequently than I do.... .___.

5. Sarcastic Luck

My step-dad and my mom are both in their fifties and text way more than I do.

6. Hexagon

My mother has just taken up texting. Its terrifying. She sends me texts so mangled I can't make sense of them, and she uses so many numbers in place of syllables its ridiculous. And don't get me started on her punctuation. Anyway, my point is that I'd really rather she called me.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, my mom's forty. She's a compulsive Facebooker/texter. Uses it maybe 20x more than I ever did.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really interesting, everybody. I thought the cut-off age would have been right around 40.

I guess texting is best when you have to convey something to someone urgently and immediately; that is, if their device is at hand.

9. Tzoa

My dad is 46, and he has always texted more than I did. He also got a facebook account several years before I did. My mom is 47 and she LOVES to text now that she has a smartphone with swype.

It varies from person to person. When I exchange numbers with someone I always ask if they text. Texting used to be expensive for me, and I hated it when people would send me messages instead of just calling.

10. RainbowMan

I'm 34, and me and some of my friends have a group text going on that would put some 15 year old girls to shame :grin:

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell, my 75-year-old grandmother uses Facebook constantly.

Meanwhile I log in once every year or so.

12. biggayguy

My dad complained every time I sent him a text that it cost him extra to read it. I quit sending text.

13. Foxface

I am 34...hate talking...much prefer to text

Foxface

14. swipe just about killed me

I switched that off so FAST! :icon_bigg I could never get it to work right

I can barely get regular typing on my smartphone working, I MUCH prefer talking to any other method

I am constantly whining to anyone who will listen about how I want a time macing back to when people actually spoke to each other

I hate it when I go to places to meet - and people sit in the restaurant and stare at their phones and text or whatever

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to speak, but the problem with speaking on the phone is that it's both expensive, and long silences are impossible to deal with. That's why texting is better in that sense.

My favourite form of communication is in person, but I can't always catch up with people in person. I don't like the anti-texting snobbery; it's easier, it's cheaper, and it's less intrusive to people around you.

But for God's sake, why do people text at dinner or when there are friends around them? It's so rude and kind of negates the purpose of catching up with people.

16. wait, who gets plans anymore with no minutes? or minutes where you pay per minute

even I have a thousand minutes per month and I have about the worst plan I know of

and a thousand texts

unlimited data - and my land line is unlimited talk - plus - if you want unlimited talk there is always Skype or Google or Face time or any of a dozen others all of which are free AND allow more than one to connect multiple people together

come one people this is the 21st century

much as I curse it people can talk - they just don't want to. it is not due to cost. it is lack of desire. people are getting distant in this age.

#16 GivePeaceAChanc, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use both extensively, and I'm in my 50s. A lot of my conversations now take place over text, many more over email, facebook, Skype, or other PM messages, and my voicemail on my phone says, in essence, "I don't check voicemail often. Leave a message here if you must, but if you want to reach me more efficiently, send a text or email."

18. Spitfire71

I text far more than I talk, but then again I'm not a very talkative person to begin with.

My phone records show spurts of 1-2m phone conversations with friends. What usually happens is if I text, and it's taking too long/too intricate to explain easily and quickly, I call.

Texting gives people that chance to think, but it also is more quiet and less... "public" I should say. I think that's why a lot of people prefer it.

But to answer the OP, my 85 year old grandparents text each other and their senior friends all day. :slight_smile:

19. Heun

From relatives I know and friends, I'd say there really isn't a set age or range of ages that determines a cut-off, although I would speak on there being a minimum because younger and younger people these days (that's a bit hypocritical from me but I'll allow it) seem to get glued to those damn devices and lack meaningful interaction.

20. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    19 and prefer talking. Though texting is cheaper (unlimited texts + 90mins that carryover+ 500mb data) each month. Calling is more time efficient. Instead of spending time typing out a text, waiting for a reply etc, a call gets it done usually faster. I stopped texting constantly around age.. 17? My peak month totalled 11,000 text messages. It was a February. Now it barely makes 1000. Usually under.

Though I do use Skype/Facebook etc and other instant messaging applications much more often.