1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any motorcyclists on here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tyrael, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Tyrael

I've just booked up to sit my full motorcycle test and have until now been using a Honda CBR125. I love bikes but I'm totally scared to death of getting on a 600 for the first time! Any other biking fanatics on here? Any advice etc?

2. no longer ride

used to though, had a CB350 in LA

and a GL1000 more recently, it was full dress, used it to commute to work - saved a lot on gas - but I wrecked it when someone changed the tires wrong - broke my shoulder - snapped it right in half :tears: tears are for missing the bike not for the wreck

I see missed the second part, what I did was I learned on the small one at first on surface streets, it gets easy after a while, the bigger one is not so hard once you learn to control the little one, they work the same - all a matter of physics

#2 GivePeaceAChanc, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  3. Tyrael

Well it sounds like you had a good run at it! :slight_smile:

I'm sorry to hear you wrecked :\ I hope you made a full recovery. I guess you didn't bother with a new bike since then?

I appreciate the advice, it was a wee Honda CBR125 I had to learn on so I've spent a good few months on that. I'll be getting on my first 600cc bike in a few weeks so I'm looking forward to the challenge, and the speed! I'm a big speed freak but I'm also a professional driver (I'm a bus driver so I spend 50+ hours a week on the road). I don't make mistakes and I am always looking out for idiots on the road, there's a lot of them! I'm more concerned about the low-speed figure of eight etc on a heavy bike.

4. never did get another one

the biggest thing is never lay it down :lol:

as long as you have balance things are ok actually, even with the 1000, my legs were able to keep it up, and I am only 5' 4".

Test ride the one you are going to buy and make sure it is properly balanced for you, if it is too top heavy or shifts too much don't try it, or if it is used the head may have been messed up in a wreck and it will be too wobbly and this will make it less stable

5. Data

Data Guest

Another former here.

I had a Rebel 250 and traded it up for a Vulcan 500.

Someone pulled out in front of me at night and left me to die in the road. I broke several bones and ruptured my spleen. I had my head-toe astronaut suit on. Boots didn't stop the broken ankle. Pants shredded and I got some rash, the jack couldn't stop the dislocated shoulder. BUT the helmet did keep me alive. It smashed instead of my skull.

I still have dreams of riding. I have PTSD related to driving due to it, so I won't get another bike for a while. I can't even watch ARider'sLife on Youtube anymore because it makes me stressed out.

I was riding for a year before that wreck happened.

They say "There are two kinds of bikers: those who've gone done and those who will." If you ride, wear your gear whenever you go out. It saved my life. Keep the rubber side down, and remember the cages ARE TRYING TO KILL YOU.

6. Skov

I used to have a Ninja 650, but I don't anymore. I wasn't very comfortable on it, and I felt I would hurt myself if an emergency came up. I miss it sometimes, but other cars just scare the crap out of me!

7. DMark69

Started with an 85 Honda NightHawk 650, then last may traded up to a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard 800.

8. English Frenchman

I drive a Vespa and I’m proud of it!

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard so many stories of people getting hurt or killed...but lately I've been interested in maybe getting a Harley for a cross-country trip...I will do the courses and have all the safety gear...just something on my bucket list for the coming years.

10. tulman

Rode some as a kid, always on somebody else's bike. Got back in to it mid 70s when I started hanging with some guys who rode. They came by my house one Sunday afternoon while I was cutting the grass. I immediately knew I had to have a motorcycle when they rode off and left me with a lawnmower. I bought a 550cc cruiser, took the safety course and got my license. 1 1/2 years later I moved up to a KZ1100. That was a nice bike. Fast as lightning and a comfortable touring ride. Put 55K miles on it and then got a Yamaha Venture. That was a mistake, don't know why I bought it. Never really liked it, only put 6K miles on it in 2 years. Finally bought the Harley I really wanted when I bought the Yamaha. I knew I had arrived! Still have it and will ride it until I can't ride anything anymore.
    Best advise I can give any new rider: TAKE A SAFETY COURSE! I took the basic course and later on two advanced courses. The things you will learn can keep you alive.
    IMHO the best street riders are motorcycle cops. The training they get is light years ahead of anything else. If you ever get a chance to take one of their courses, do it. It can humble even the most experienced riders.