1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get your beauty tips here!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lipstick Leuger, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Lipstick Leuger

I have observed other threads where people ask for makeup advice.

I think that is would be awesome to have one here on the site, especially when we have many transitioning people and people finding out who they are. So, I am starting this for makeup and or hair tips. If you have a question or tip, please post it here. Also, if you post a makeup you like, try to leave as much info about it, for instance.....price, colors it comes in and is it cruelty free, etc.

I personally want to recomend one of my favorites for covering up black circles and blemishes. It's called Makeup forever. It is a really awesome coverup. I have black circles because of my allergies and this covers them very well. It goes a long way and you only have to use a little, because it is really concentrated, so blend it really really well. It comes in many colors for just about any skin tone, and lasts for a long time on also. It is a bit expensive, my little tube was 30 dollars for it, but I had it for a year before replacing it. You can get it at ULTA or SEPHORA. Or at their web sites.

2. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Is a combination astringent and peroxide truly as bad an idea as it sounds for lightening body hair? Otherwise, please suggest an alternative.

Thx

3. Lipstick Leuger

It sounds a bit scary to me. Although they used to use peroxide to lighten hair when I was a teen. We put it in our hair and we sat in the sun to bleach it. It dried it all out horribly.

They have kits for lightening hair. Dark haired women use it on their upper lips and such. Try a beauty warehouse store. They would probably have a good idea what to use.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great idea for a thread!

What do you think about makeup for guys? What is gaining popularity (for gay or straight) these days, or is this already a trend that is passé?

5. biggayguy

I'm curious if you have any tips on nail polish. Do certain brands last longer or look better? Is an emery board the best way to keep your nails even? I'm finding it to be a lot of work. OTOH maybe I'm obsessing.

6. Tzoa

I can't help you with the nail polish (I'm actually curious if anyone else has an answer for that), but be careful not to do it with the emery boards and nail buffing. They are great for making your nails smooth and shiny, but using them too often will weaken the nails. I think I file and buff my nails once every two months, or if they get rough. I obsessed over my nails and used to file a few times a week, and for the first 20 years of my life I bit them, so I have to be really careful not to weaken my nails further.

7. Gen

Gen

The bulk of what I've noticed that can be seen on all sides of the spectrum is an increase in the use of foundation and tinted moisturizers in men. These are products that were already widely used in film and media. I don't personally use any, but I have started to noticed a slow growing desire to in men, specifically as they start to get older.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I drink lots of water, and use a moisturizer in the dry moths to keep my skin nice, but I've never been one to paint and powder, unless, say, I have a bad pimple or a black eye and want to make it look better.

9. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Thanks for the feedback, Lipstick! :slight_smile:

10. Monika the Diva

I would like a tip. When i go out as a female, i would like to look more feminine. The only question i have is what's the best foundation i can use for my face before i put on make up. What would you recommend, and also i'm going to be shaving my legs more often. What kind of advice can you give to keep my body from itching so much. I've been using creams infused with aloe vera which do help. Honestly, even though i am a guy. My skin on my arms and legs are smoother than a baby's bottom. :grin:

Thank you in advance.

11. SFSorrow

Lipstick.

Specifically, how do I get it to stay on so I don't need to reapply it every time I take a swig of drink?, because I can't be bothered with doing that constantly so by the end of the night it's mostly worn off, and usually comes off really quickly.

#11 SFSorrow, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  12. LongMayIReign

After applying the lipstick, hold a tissue between your lips as if you were going to blot the color, and press a translucent powder over the tissue. Also, you may want to try a lip stain instead or use a lip liner if you aren't already.

13. Lipstick Leuger

Moisturize! Don't bath in hot water either, use only warm. Some of us get out and rub on baby oil or lotion right from the shower. There are lots of moisturizing body washes. My son loves Dove Sensitive. Also, shave with a moisturing soap. Also for foundation. It's sometimes really hard to find one that suits. I used to use liquid. I usually use Pur Minerals, its a mineral powder. The stuff has Shea butter in it and after a bit, it kinda looks like your skin is really moisturized and glowing. I would not think you would want a powder because if your skin in dry and itchy already, I would say try a BB (Beauty Balm) It's pretty much just tint, sunscreen and lotion all in one. You throw that on in the AM and it keeps your skin pretty nice. There are dozens to try so you will have to shop around. I am somewhat oily in the Summer so I use Loreal or Garnier as it does not leave a greasy feel to my skin.

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2013 at 09:33 PM ----------

I only do my toes, but the girls at work told me that the new Gel polish stays on forever!

14. biggayguy

Thanks for the nail tips Tzoa.

15. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Sun-In Super Spray In Hair Lightener

Try that! Its great, you spray where you want to lighten, how light you want, when ever you want to do it, so much easier than dying your hair.

16. Aquilo

I'd never get nail polish myselves, but this method to make rainbow nail polish looks quite cool. The same process can also be used to create marble paper and other cool stuff.

17. SFSorrow

Powder? This gets ever more complicated! How does the powder work to keep it on? Does lipstain come off easily with make up remover wipes, and does it look as good as lipstick, I tend to wear very bright red? I've been told lip liner would be a good investment too.

18. Daydream Harp

I am not out to anyone IRL yet, though with my style being revolved around Progressive Metal and Gothic influences do you think I could have gotten away with wearing black nail polish/color or do you think people would look at me funny for it?

Also I have never groomed my toenails and they start to look rather lousy... any tips on making them seem cuter without having a lot of tools to work with?

19. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

My mom used to lighten her scalp hair with Sun-In when I was a kid. However, I was under the impression that you had to sit in direct sunlight for awhile (not practical for wintertime) after applying this stuff in order to get any result. Is that not the case?

Also, is it really effective on body hair, not just scalp hair?

Thanks for your suggestions.

20. chartreuse

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It works as long as you are in direct sunlight for a long period of time, but the more sun you get, the lighter it will become.

If you have dark body hair, it will turn it orange. Also, depending on how much sun exposure the area gets, it could be less successful.