1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad student govt

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andstillimhere7, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well this is an topic that bothers me, but basically it's about some sbo officers in the school. I mean there are some who talk how gay people are bad and I'm hearing this and this irks me because an student council member should be a good example and treat everyone good. Also one day in on of my class a student council member chose not to participate in class because there was a sub and he didn't participate, period. Stuff like this aggravates me because they should be leaders and this also irks me because I ran for an sbo and I think I would have done better than most of them. There are some cool officers and that the people i voted for. What are your opinions with this topic?

2. Tzoa

I completely agree that they should be setting better examples. People should try to lead by example, but especially those in a position of power. I don't know where in America you are, but does your school have a LGBTQ club or GSA? Or does the student government have an advisor you can talk to? I recommend talking to a trusted adult you can talk to, and maybe they can have some leadership workshops for those in your school student government. It sounds like they need it.

3. Data

Data Guest

Sounds like some Congressmen I know...

Well, you can definitely bring it up with authority figures in your school. Maybe some bullying punishment can come up from having a witness to them saying bad things about LGBT students. That would be good, but be careful because you might be outed if they figure out it was you. Just be cautious.

In my HS the student council was pretty useless. It was like the British royalty: more of a figure head then an actual group that can do anything. All the rules were made by the Governing Board and the council couldn't change those rules if they tried. Basically, all the council did was throw dances and parties (which were pretty lame and had teachers supervising the shit out of everyone).

I was the vice president of the student council one year, and I was so fed up with the TINY amount of power we actually had, I walked out of a meeting and told the other members to go get a life. The treasury had $150 (the record for the SC at that school!) and no school funds were allocated at any time. Stupid.

When I was the VP (before I walked out) I tried to cooperate with our US government class teacher to set up a student trial system. We were going to institute a court supervised by the teacher, which took place of the Discipline Committee (made up of 3 teachers). Students would be picked for jury duty and would come in during the useless "literary table" before lunch and get to be the jury for the week. It was a good idea and the gov teacher LOVED it. She was more proud of our idea then I was, and she was pretty upset when the principle struck us down.

So my point is, fuck 'em. They aren't holier then anyone just because they are student council. They're no better then anyone, and so I wouldn't give two shits what they thought of gay people. Personally, I bet at least of one them is gay and just in the denial phase. Most high school homophobes end up coming out later in life.

4. Spitfire71

Basically this. Student Government is a joke.

All they got to do was decide the theme of dances, socials, and pep rally assemblies. Getting elected was basically a popularity contest.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What about a coup d'etat?

6. blueberrymuffin

Yeah there are federal adult politicians who continue to say much worse than that. Talk about bad examples. This is why i don't believe in (near) universal suffrage. The people in office at your school are just regular students elected by regular students, nothing special. In fact, they are most likely doing it just to put on a resume. I recommend the movie Election to get some idea of this.

Fortunately that's not the only way to lead. You could start a GSA for example or speak up when they're saying hateful crap like that.

7. biggayguy

What about the faculty advisors? Aren't they supposed to keep a check on this sort of thing? Is there an impeachment procedure in the SG bylaws?

8. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well they do it when there are no faculty around and I don't know about impeachment. Some of them are overall good but they have certain beliefs. Although there are some nice people out there.

9. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If they're openly prejudiced against a certain group then how can they be expected to govern fairly? The idea is they're supposed to represent all their fellow students, there's nothing in the elected government rule book that says you're allowed to be prejudiced against a certain group.

So I'd get a group organised, kick up a fuss and look to get the individuals chucked out of office.