1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secular societies rule.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Formality, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Formality

At first as I heard the echoing of the knock flow through my otherwise quiet apartment I thought "ohh, how wonderful it is having some visiters":eusa_whis. I swung open the heavy wooden door with high hopes. To my surprise there stood a man and a woman I had never before seen. My brain instantly started processing what my senses could detect. A panflit. Where had I seen this before? In less than a µs a million connections were made.
    - No thank you, I said.
    - The word of God has reached your door. May I ask you why you are not interested? The young woman asked.
    - I just don't believe any of that "God stuff". I said in a mocking tone.
    - Why don't you believe it? She asked, interested to know the answer.
    - Well..... It's fucking bullshit. Not to offend you or anything. I don't need to be "saved".
    - Oh, ok. Many people say that. Bye. :dry:

I turned around and closed the door, walked to my kitchen window and watched as the two walked up the hill. I felt sorry for them, I regret being so harsch on them because even though I hate what they were preaching they were probably nice people.

It's funny to me how these two probably has to go through so much every single day knocking on peoples doors in a country like Sweden where >80% of the population don't believe in the supernatural, a.k.a. are atheists. They are beating a dead horse, much like how it should be in the rest of the world. Yet these "fundamentalists" rule 95% of the Earth's population.

I just want to share a (*hug*) with all of the atheists out there that might not be as lucky as I am to have been born in a secular society.

There's no real purpose to this thread, it's just... this is so rare here in Sweden and I felt like I had to share it. :icon_wink

2. Mzansi

It's not exactly setting a great example by being so rude,
    Just because you don't agree with them,
    Doesn't mean you need to make sure you're mean to them,
    And do your utmost to embarrass them.

Doesn't bode well if all non-theists react like this to people.
    And you'll also find most countries are secular,
    Even if they don't seem so,
    Such as :
    -Nigeria
    -South Africa
    -Algeria
    -Angola
    -Mali
    -China
    -Syria
    -Turkey
    -India
    -Brazil

Just to name a few,
    That list alone captures about 2.5 Billion people,
    And isn't near all of the nations that are deemed secular.

#2 Mzansi, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They shouldn't knock on peoples door and preach then. If someone bothers you in your home to try and change your belief system then they shouldn't be surpised when people are inpatient. I personally wouldn't be rude but that just how I am.

4. Formality

As I mentioned in the text I regret being rude. But not because I don't wanna set a bad example, because I didn't know these people and they could've been nice people deep down.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have had encounters with these types before, I respond politely once, and decline gracefully, however, when it seems that what I said did not register and they follow on with "May I ask..." that's when my tolerance drops to absolute zero and I remind them firmly, complete with the appropriate body language, what I told them earlier. If they still don't get it, that's it; they get whatever they deserve and I don't hold back.

6. jargon

Funny, some Jehovah's Witnesses just stopped by, thought no one was home, and left a pamphlet with the words "Can the dead really live again?" on the front.

This is only maybe the second time I've seen them come by my house, and I've never actually spoken with them. But I live in one of the more liberal/secular parts of the country. I'm sure its much more common other places.

7. Data

Data Guest

I have had people come to the door and try to talk to us. My mom answered and unfortunately she took the same approach as you.

I say unfortunately for a few reasons. The first is that usually around here, they are a nice old Mexican couple who walk up and down the street in the hot sun. I would have invited them in just to give them some water and a minute to sit down. The sun is crippling here. I am SURE being 60, walking around in the sun, and being constantly shunned doesn't add up to be a pleasant day. :frowning2:

The second is, I do believe in God I just don't attend church like I did as a kid. I believe in the essential love of Jesus and not much else. That is all "fluff" to me and not really relevant since Jesus already died. I like to talk to religious people (in a nice way, not in a screaming match) about their religion and pit their beliefs against mine to see what we have in common. I really wouldn't mind inviting them in and see what they are preaching. Their religion isn't going to convert me. I don't believe in converting. I just wouldn't mind a chat about what they follow.

The third is that those pamphlets they hand out are usually pretty clever. Sometimes they use fallacies and I like to analyze them. If I go into a restroom with one of those "everyone is a sinner" pamphlets, I take it and read it. I don't usually pass it on. They usually leave them in bar bathrooms, and if an alcoholic stumbles in and finds that pamphlet, they might just become struck with an urge to change their ways. That would be a good deed done in my book.

Unfortunately, most of the people that do the door-to-door thing are Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses which don't like gay people and have very very strange beliefs. Interesting to talk to, but I bet if I told them that I'm a homosexual they'd get up and run out of my house before they catch the gay. That's why I don't really allow them a chance to convert me. I won't be a part of a church that doesn't want me or doesn't think I'll get into heaven like they will after performing all of their works.

Anyway, like you said, you weren't doing anything so why not next time have a debate with them? Let them argue for God and you argue against. They'll get a chance to do their preaching the word of their God, and they'll get off their feet for 5 or 10 minutes. You don't have anything to lose.

It might be worthwhile to install a peep hole for next time. :grin:

8. Mzansi

I'm not even a theist,
    In any shape or form,
    And I could say that listening wouldn't be "horrible",
    I've seen just as many atheists preach to theists,
    Who patiently sat there and listened to MUCH more hateful rants and insults,
    My issue taken here,
    Is rather that human decency is being forgone.

And this was not JUST impatience,
    The OP could've easily just said he wasn't interested and closed the door,
    Or said "I simply don't believe, please leave".

Call me silly,
    But I just don't agree with the approach I guess

9. Incognito10

Sweden seems like such a great place to live. Sweden has always been ahead of the rest of the developed nations.

In terms of strangers preaching to me, I usually politely respond/decline the first time; however, if it conitnues, I get frustrated and just ignore and walk away. A couple months ago, I was visiting Philadelphia and a guy was preaching to me on the street and kept following me even when I was headed to my car...that was just unacceptable.

10. Formality

I have a peephole actually :wink:

Yeah I might, and be a bit nicer perhaps! Wow, I'm such a douche :eusa_doh:

---------- Post added 4th Dec 2013 at 05:20 PM ----------

Their pamphlet said the same but in Swedish :wink: That's how I knew the second I saw the pamphlet. Guess they make em the same in every country.

#10 Formality, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

11. I live in the US, and when you try to be polite and tell them "no thank you I am atheist" you get all kinds of crap

I cannot believe how much flame I get in person and on the internet here for being all of these here

female
    feminist
    atheist
    Vegan
    Lesbian
    Environmentalist
    Peace

so I really understand this point

I mean after all I am pretty sick of not being allowed to have my own opinions you know?
    why is are only the right wing valid? and able to proselytize left and liberal are always supposed to be passive just because I am a peace activist I am supposed to shut up?

12. Data

Data Guest

It's ok. I'm sure they forgive you. I mention the peephole because there have been times when a friend of my sister comes over and I'm all dirty/shirtless/greasy hair and after looking out the peephole I go and hide in my room so they don't see me in my filth. :eusa_danc If I got a lot of preachers, I'd get sick of it and just start pretending like I'm not home. I just only ever get one or two couples per year it's quite tolerable and I don't mind it much.

13. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hate all societies.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG! They believe in Zombies!

15. kem

kem

I love reading those pamphlets! They are so delightfully stupid.
    Just a couple days ago a small flyer with something along these lines on it:
    "Is there really an afterlife?" "Why yes, there is. The Bible says so."
    "But, can we really trust the Bible?" (note: wow, how progressive to even doubt the word of God!!) "Yes, we can, because it is God's word [biblical page reference]" "Have you already accepted God as your saviour?"

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you could have done worse. My aunt's ex-husband who weighed about 400 pounds would always answer the door naked when the Jehovah's Witnesses would show up.

17. timo

Exactly.

I have Jehovah's witnesses at my door every now and then and I usually politely tell them I'm not interested. Although a while ago I had a couple that didn't take no for an answer, and in that case I do get pissed off and also slightly rude.

But yeah OP, definitely agree with you. yay for secular societies (!)

18. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my god, I find those little pamphlets pretty hilarious to be perfectly honest.

My personal method of attack? Keep a supply of random pamphlets on hand. They could be about anything - red flags your spouse is cheating, how to manage your diabetes, whatever. If they hand you a pamphlet, hand them one back. If they get confused, just tilt your head and say that you figured you were supposed to hand them something too. You're just sharing information, after all, no harm in that right? It can be extra fun if they try to ask you questions pertaining to their pamphlet - you could ask them questions pertaining to yours as well.

"Have you found god?"

"Nah, he's really good at hiding. Has your wife been leaving her wedding band at home? Do you feel that spark is fading?"

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

20. Ticklish Fish

but where can you keep a stockpile of those pamphlet? lol

Peace? You get flamed for anti-war?