1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local gay pride parade?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by unsuspecting, Dec 4, 2013.

1. unsuspecting

I live in a relatively small town and I would love a gay pride parade haha! I have no idea how to even get this started though or even if it is worth it. Currently I started the local GSA club and was possibly thinking of joining with other places to actually get this going (if I end up going through with this), but was curious can a 16 year old actually start a public event? Anyone else wish they had a local gay pride parade they could attend? Any thoughts or ideas on the topic is clearly welcomed :smilewave.

2. a real parade actually takes full permits and stuff, due to them having to shut down streets and all - you need the police and all - it is fairly costly

it is actually easier to start the first time by getting as pride in say a park or something - even this in many places may require at least reservations

and if you are only going to do it this way you could do it by starting a facebook group and get volunteers to get a first meeting together and start your organization going

3. Heun

As was already said, perhaps a 'parade' isn't the first option.

My recommendation for you would be to get in contact with a local LGBT or similar organization and express interest in having them host an event in your local town, especially if they have a decent amount of support behind them. You might have to really petition it to them or to your local council (or whatever organization your town has) but it's certainly possible.

4. biggayguy

Is there a PFLAG chapter in your area? Any gay-friendly churches or clubs? What about college gay groups? A Pride event on a liberal college campus seems like a more reachable goal. Maybe your GSA could join with other GSA's in the area.

My town has a parade that has a three block route. Even this small parade takes many permits, fees, police, and tons of organization.

#4 biggayguy, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  5. unsuspecting

Sadly we are the first GSA in the area, I think there might be a college one but it is very small, and the only organizations in the area are over an hour away. By small town I meant SMALL town haha.