1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do a lot of Christians hate gays so much?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nichison, Dec 4, 2013.

1. nichison

First off, I want to get this out of the way. I am not trying to generalize Christians here. I know that not all Christians hate gays. There are many good people out there that are Christians. In fact my best friend is Catholic. Now, on to the question.

So I was just wondering why this seems to be a recurring theme with christians that I meet. I don't understand why many Christians hate gays, especially when many seem to pick and choose which lessons of the bible to follow. This has always puzzled me. Can someone please tell me?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We ruin (all of us, LGBT or whatever more) the neat little categories and hierarchy that's in place. Their black-and-white world of a man being a bread-winner bringing home food to his adoring housewife (read: unpaid domestic servant), and general attitudes of patriarchy and parents owning their children are ruined by LGBT people not only not fitting into these categories, but demanding to be seen as people, not the traditional "embodiment of evil" that we're portrayed as. LGBT rights bring individualism, critical thinking, and the subsequent criticism of the status quo with us.

We present the uncomfortable (for them) reality of gender; one that doesn't stick to the rules they've established. It's tied to misogyny and also tends to go along with racism. We shatter their little world of neat lines and perfect order.

#2 Aussie792, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. Im Just Me

Because a lot of them aren't educated on the book. They just take people's word for it. Once one person said "look the bible says negative things about homosexuality" it just kind of....spread. And escalated. Drastically.

Few of them bother to really read the full bible, or get an idea of the situations in which homosexuality was mentioned. It's mostly ignorant, blind, Christians who follow rather than actually learn about the religion they claim to be serious about.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not all of them hate GLBT folks. Some do, though. Also, it can vary by branch of Christianity, with some sects having several, or many, tolerant churches and some sects having few, if any.

The reason for this dislike is about 3 to 7 short passages in the Bible. There are also various versions of the Bible (I don't know all their names), but some are more strict than others, and well suited to the point certain people want to make. The reality is that most of what could be interpreted as anti-gay is in the Old Testament, and not in the New Testament, which is what defines and differentiates Christianity from its Judaic roots. The main claim is that it's unnatural, it's against God's will, and it's a choice.

There are men and women who are really, really upset by anything other than heterosexuality. In those people, from what I've seen, is that the men are homophobes and probably have issues of their own and that the women who recoil and say "ew, it's so unnatural" is because it makes them feel dispensable. So, in short, the guys probably have some insecurity or even a circle jerk under their belts when younger, and are freaked out by it. Most of the women who have this feeling are also insecure, but about their desirability, based on the ones I know, and it takes some good candidates out of the pool. Some women who are not insecure about their desirability typically just scoff at it in a joking manner, though no less insulting, and move right along to find some guy who salivates over them and vice versa, without giving homosexuality much thought.

5. blueberrymuffin

Well religion is largely about judgment and condemnation, so that alone inspires hate. They can't seriously crack down on the 7 sins or the church would have no customers left, so they resort to shitting on a small, often invisible minority.

The other thing is "christian values" is so wrapped up in the family that the only way gays could win any respect is by convincing them that we aren't out to destroy families and in fact want to adopt and start our own. That's been no easy task.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^This. :eusa_clap

7. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a Christian I have the same question. There are maybe 6 verses the specifically mention homosexuality. Of the that only 3 of them are in the New Testament and they are all in the letters from Paul. Like a lot of people, they just want someone to hate and someone to blame for their problems and in this case it is the GSM community. It is really sad that they are this way and as Christian I want to apologies for that I. I do not hold these views and I am truly sorry for anyone who has experienced this.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is priceless and should be framed. I never looked at it that way. Since, first of all, it's a small group and then, it's not often a churched group, let's just scapegoat them, and we don't loose any of our core group ... and their donations! It makes total sense.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yesterday a coworker of mine who is christian told me that he thinks gays should just kill themselves if they can't be normal then had the nerve to say I watch what i say to people i'm a nice guy .

He thinks i'm straight but i was very hurt by his comment I have heard some messed up crap over the years from my mom and other people but this one takes the cake :eek:

10. 2112

Because they're ignorant.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's right. He is the one with the biggest problem with what would be termed GLBT today.

---------- Post added 4th Dec 2013 at 09:00 PM ----------

And we're almost in 2014? Amazing.

12. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The moment you finish school, I hope you work on writing a book.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Some people are so damn ignorant i just can't believe it , I will not hang out with this guy outside of work after he made that comment :tantrum:

14. Ticklish Fish

maybe all the people who dont' have kids and don't drink alcohol should kill themselves too? /sarcasm

15. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same reason people are racist because their picks

16. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Because they feel they have a right granted to them by a higher power to be bigoted and to judge people on behalf of certain divine beings. Some feel that the judgement part has already been laid out by God, Jesus, Spongebob etc so skip straight to the sentence which is either damnation (the Phelps method) or rehabilitation (the Exodus International method).

17. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I obviously can't speak for all Christians because I am not "all Christians" but, being a Christian who is also a gay man, I can speak for me. I think it is really sad that Christians have treated people outside of heteronormativity poorly. I don't think there are many Christians that think they are being hateful as they attempt to express their opinions, but nevertheless, Christians can seem to have a blind spot in their sensitivity, compassion, and love for the LGBTQ community.

I believe that many Christians have been sheltered from LGBTQ whether by their own accord or by the family in which they were raised. I would think that if more Christians heard stories and got to know us better, they would be more capable of compassion even if they still chose to disagree theologically.

I believe that Love should not be based on theological agreement. I know that I have been hurt by friends and family that have said unintentionally cruel things. But, I try to understand where they are coming from, and usually, if I can get into their headspace, I realize that they don't know how to talk to me in a way that isn't offensive about what they believe and how they are feeling.

Then, there are some Christians that, unfortunately, are very vocal and do spread hatred and propaganda. I have no excuses for them. I find it obscene and would rather not be identified with them.

The culture war raging between LGBTQ and Christians is heated and has claimed many casualties. I don't know where I stand as a gay christian, but I know that as long as I am looking to be offended, justified, or win rather than looking to understand and be understood, this culture war will continue.

I love you all.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exodus has folded, I believe.

19. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, but I'm using them as an example because I'm too lazy to Google for another gay conversion organisation. Plus everyone knows what Exodus did so it keeps things simple.

20. I went through one or the other of these in all of them I attempted

I did not find a single friendly organization