1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uk retirement age

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Johneh, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay so it's been in the news here that the UK retirement age to be able to unlock the state pension is being raised too 70. That's for anybody that is in their 20s now.

Work till you drop kids.

I wonder if the same applies to the thieving MPs.

:bang:

2. leer

all politicians are the same they want money and power . people should have a right to decide when they retire not having to be told when to .

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps for middle-ranking white-collar workers, 70 might be OK. But not for manual labour or for upper-management (a lot of premature deaths from workload in both categories).

It's too much. If they want more work or more money, why don't they address the tax system and lack of government contribution to technology in industry?

4. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. People are going to die premature because of inceasing stress through out their lifes. It's just greed pure and simple.

5. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it has been raised to 120...lol.

6. photoguy93

Yeah. That is a hefty age, but if you're 20 now, that's 50 years from now!

Think about 50 years ago. Think about how medicine has changed. People are living longer and will hopefully learn to be healthier. For someone like my parents, yeah, that's way too old. But me? I think it's okay.

7. jargon

Just devil's advocate: no one's telling you when you can or cannot retire, just when you have access to retirement benefits. I could "retire" now if I wanted to, but I shouldn't expect my government to start giving me Social Security payments.

As health and life expectancy continue to increase, so are retirement ages. When average life expectancy hits 120, we won't want the retirement age to be 65. That'll mean people spend less than half their lives in the work force. Granted, if technology also takes us to a place where production is much more efficient and we can survive that way, great. But until that day comes people need to continue working a proportionate amount of their expected lifespan.

8. Hexagon

I feel confident this won't affect me. I'm pretty sure they'll raise it again before I get there.

9. Richie.

I'm in my thirties :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apparently 1-3 kids born today will reach 100 years old so a third of the population will have a long retirement ha

10. Harve

You do.

But if the age at which you can get a state pension is kept at 65, then it will only increase the strain for any other welfare or public services.

The retirement age should've been raised long ago and its increase isn't happening quickly enough. If we want to keep retirement ages rising more slowly than life expectancy without increasing the burden on the working-age population (increasing taxes or reducing public services), then we need more immigration as immigrants tend to be of working age and make a positive contribution to the UK's finances relative to UK citizens: the latter are more likely to be retired, in education or out of work and thus are more likely to soak up government expenditure.

The tabloids will simply look at the overall welfare budget rising due to the ageing population but instead point towards comparatively negligible benefit fraud, often with an anti-immigration slant, and will vilify the welfare state and all who use it, as well as putting pressure on to curtail migration. That's the exact opposite of what we need.

#10 Harve, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013