1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Media, what you think?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Darren18, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

these last coup of days i been researching a lot about famous social media like facebook and more, learning their business let's say, hearing stories and experiences from people, so what you think in general, do you use social nets like facebook or other ones?
    how easy is to keep a long relationship distance for you in case you have done it? (another question i made)

i still have accounts but barely used them to talk to few people, one of them is a girl that i really like, we met actually and started facebook and skype, yesterday i found some messages on her wall like totally public of this emo guy saying to her i love you and she was kinda saying the same to her, when a few minutes after that me and her we were calling eachother love babe and stuff as such, so we continued on photo she posted, and seen the messages i asked her, do you like other guy too? cause if thats the case tell me and i will no longer call you love and things like that, she siad no what are you talking about and we continued as it never happened,

after so, on her photo status me and her had gotten all lovely cakes again, and this same guy appears on a below comment saying oh yeah, f**k you, next comment she says the name of the guy and writes him to message her right away, i nearly saw it and wrote what was that about? lol, havent gotten new replies yet, but what do you think on that situation too?

appreciate the answers

2. The thing about Facebook is when you are talking to someone on a timeline and not in a direct message, anyone can break in and you get all kinds of nastiness. It is the worst feature of it. one of the reasons I rally wanted to get out of it. mine is locked as tight as possible and still problems. That guy could have been anyone from her past, or any random friends friend.

the ONLY reason I stay on Facebook is because everyone else uses it, I actually asked if I could stop using it and only used meetup where I live, and the group I meet with said no, I would miss far too much. It is used to connect with going out, it is when I find out when we feed the homeless, then next coffee, the next night out.......

I do not post my latest exploits , don't post pictures (I don't even have a profile picture), I don't post here I go & what I do.

I use more of commentary type and news sights and opinion sites. Also Twitter.

I do use messaging when people need it, on Facebook , but not IM or Skype or any other.

3. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

yes your totally right about some of the featues, in fact yea i have seen lots of trolls on facebook, chats, forums, people bothering on groups created to advice and support others, which is no surprise they always do, but yea something are better kept through more control, i do also kind of use it for the same that you, just to keep on touch with few people cause i barely dont use phones or phone apps at all so is the easiest and most comfy way to keep on track, i will update more lol when i talk to this girl today, and will post the replies they make too so you can give an opinion as well

4. kem

kem

The primary functions of Facebook for me are group chat, events and a private group my friends and I have. I do post friends-only and public stuff; once a day or once every two days I write a brief update, usually something funny that happened to me or something I've been thinking about, something I am planning to do et cetera. I post a lot of my photographs on facebook as well.

5. Xirahii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use Facebook and Twitter the most. For status updates, I use Twitter; I use Facebook mostly for following fan pages that suit my interests and talking with friends who don't have Skype. If Facebook drama occurs (thankfully in my circle of friends that's VERY rare), I avoid it like the plague.

The challenges of keeping a long-distance relationship intact is just about identical with local relationships, with a few additional pitfalls. For example, someone can just "up and vanish" without you being able to do much of anything to see maybe what's wrong (happened to me a few times). If that kind of thing happened in a local relationship, you could just drive over to that person's house and deal with the problem that way. Still, I've also established some fantastic long distance relationships over the course of several years and I don't know what I would do without them. Hopefully I'll be able to visit them sometime.

6. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

yeah i used to post lot of pics, now i think i just have one in there like on every other site, kinda like to know who you are talking to sometimes people wants that, i do believe strongly that they do sell auto mode information to many places, thought i do think people has their strong points, another truth thing is sometimes not to be to paranoid, i mean for example someone takes my picture and uses somewhere or some like that, i mean what are they gonna do with that lol, so there is a point but not on a paranoid level, also the well known information private matters like credit cards adresses phone etc, things i have filled with fake data even on my locations sometimes, and of course i dont even worry about credit cards and all that cause i dont even have one lol, so lets say a truth fact someone wants to use something from me, they wont get anything, since im pretty much a guy withouth a stable job and have no personal belongings xd

---------- Post added 5th Dec 2013 at 11:55 AM ----------

i agree with what you said, your very smart :slight_smile: and yeah well im not sure if im on a long distance relationship but is somewhere close, of course knowing for sure will require other methods that ppl actually uses like getting passwords and stuff lol i will never get to that level, i mean in tough cases were things get unpleasant i just dissapear, and also happened to me that other girls did before too, even that happened with friends that i made for years i barely talk to them now but havent forgot them in the other hand, and i guess the terms long distance is the same as in local as you said with difference you can pay a visit to them if you actually live close

7. freeskies

I think social media has definitely brought the human community as a whole, together. It's fun to look at activities of other friends on facebook, sometimes for pure joy, sometimes to envy. I by myself prefer not to post anything because i like to remain quiet. But i do get tagged now and then. I'm not sure actually. My facebook activity reflects my overtly happy bouts, but it doesn't reflect my sadness or when i'm feeling low.

8. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

well then i think that is possitive side, i mean someone mention in one of my other post about people been miserable 24/7 on fb, i think is better that when u use it reflects your happy mood, i know girls in there that i think they are interesting but for example they are indeed all the time posting about hating themselves or cutting or trying to harm eachother which makes it kinda baum, i mean you know you enter a while connecting online to have some fun or to distract yourself from things not to hear more about issues right?

9. freeskies

I do see lot of people express their anguish, frustration, sadness apart from their happiness. I'm not sure if its a good thing to express your sorrow on facebook, or is it better to just cry inside...?

10. I am afraid we are going to have to agree to disagree

when I was younger people actaully go to gether and spoke to each other and reallt did things and had real events and real life

now even when there is a real event

people are to busy fiddling with there stupid devices, media has made people more distant - not broght them to gether

sure you have this ability to see pictures and words of stuff from everywhere but you never really see/feel/touch

there is no reality - zero empathy

it is part of why I want off so often

until I got mine so tight

I got 2-3 rape or flame threats a week

I still get troll most paces I go on facebook if I attempt to join & comment on pages - I have given up on doing anymore than than mildest like on all but one liberal political group, one lesbian group, and one science feed

I gave totally up on all of the Vegan groups got trolled way too often Even or the nutrition and Organic groups

11. AKTodd

I tried facebook for about 3 weeks and then killed my account. To me facebook is just sort of one long eternal cocktail party - briefly amusing in its way but totally non-productive and not any good for getting anything done.

I prefer to spend my online time in communities that actually DO something (such as EC for example) or produce something. I've been a part of my favorite one for over 10yrs now.

Todd

12. freeskies

But one can’t deny the extent to which social media has given us more awareness of how this world ticks. Its because of social media like twitter that helped the 'arab spring'. These days social media is used to get a job. Surely social media has had positive impact in many others ways that i cannot fathom at the moment.

But i'd have to agree with one thing, social media has certainly created a bubble where in physical interaction and face-face interaction is absent, and has definitely adversely affected self-confidence and esteem.

13. Tzoa

I also have to disagree. A recent study found that people are far less empathetic than they were thirty years ago. By constantly talking to people online, we're losing the ability to understand how they're feeling. We can't see their faces. We can't hear their voices. We become detached and it's easy to forget that there's another person on some other computer, a person with with thoughts, opinions and feelings of their own.

Many teenagers and college students today text each other constantly, even when they are in the same room. I'm not joking on that. People are forgetting how to have conversations and how to connect without having screens between them.

^ As to your new post, I do agree to some extent that social media has brought more awareness of the world to people. I don't think it's being used to its fullest extent, though. There are some good things about social media. It can connect family from all over the world, and can be used to find a job, though I think it's used way too often. I miss the days when people talked on the phone or actually go out and do something fun as their primary way to keep in touch.

#13 Tzoa, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  14. blueberrymuffin

I came from a town that didn't have internet, except 56k. So no one was tweeting on their iphone (none could afford those either) all day. When i got to college, i may as well have woken from a coma, with no social media and no contacts. They way you "befriend" people in this generation is to "add them" on facebook. If it weren't for that year in the dorms that forced people into close, actual human contact, i'd be in trouble socially.

They text everywhere, i mean waiting for the elevator to go up 3 floors, during conversations, lectures and group presentations (so rude), and even during sex! This has all created quite a detached generation, limited to 140 characters, and greatly exposed as barely literate. Some of it is just downright embarrassing also. Like i don't want to hear that you just took a shit and ate a banana.

If i could un-invent something, it would be twitter.

15. Foxface

awareness yes, but I think it bred or allowed a certain level of laziness. I see people all over posting these great ideas, activism quotes and putting up pictures say they support some cause and then it ends there with a few exceptions.

I mean I know this sounds rude but posting support on a facebook page is a heck of a lot different then making a physical difference

and of course then you get people who post their views and are cocky about any negative response to said view

I literally use it just to be silly and fun

Foxface

16. Shamash

I have a Facebook account. That is all. I generally just like a bunch of pages and check it once in a while for news and funny photos or videos. It really kind of overwhelms me to do anything else- I commented on a photo of my friends', and it generated 5 different notifications, including a reply to my comment and two likes. I wouldn't be able to survive actually posting anything. I waste enough time as it is.