1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Life, Pro Family etc.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Does anyone else find its horrible deceptive how the religious right pick the names for their campaign.

First anti abortion is called "Pro Life" - As if anyone would be anti life right?

Now anti same gender marriage is called "Pro Family" - As if anyone would be anti family right?

2. sysreq

Agreed, definitely.

Have you heard of the AFA? Over here we Yanks have the American Family Association, or the country's second-largest anti-gay organisation, besides the far right wingers. Third place goes to the WBC, obvi.

Hell I ain't no Yank I just live here

3. Hexagon

No one is going to name themselves something they think will cast them in poor light.

4. Sitri

I prefer to call them anti-choice and anti-love.

5. Foxface

As much as I agree look at PETA, notable eco terroist group and left wingers are huge in this group...people for the ETHICAL treatment of animals. As if my pets are not ETHICALLY treated.

As much as I am a die-hard left winger, that sort of branding exists on all sides I think

but yes Pro Family is a horrible term

Foxface

6. Beware Of You

I am well aware of Bryan Fischer, he is insane.

I follow the Young Turks on youtube some of their rebuttals from these homophobes makes me laugh

---------- Post added 5th Dec 2013 at 10:14 PM ----------

While I am against making animals suffer and fur , PETA cross the line IMO

7. Data

Data Guest

I hate PETA. Can't stand them.

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ They are funny.

9. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One day I shall sit all of you down and tell you about the Animals Rights Militia. They make PETA look like saints that walk among us.

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use the term Anti-Choice, as far as abortion is concerned.

And to that extent, it's sad how many states have effectively denied this choice to somany women, largely due to the opinions of old, white men in office.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PETA are idiots, but the way conservatives say they're "pro-life" and other stances is just spin, plain and simple. They do call it that because they paint their opponents as baby-killers, rather than facilitators of good lives for the babies which are intentionally brought into this world. Forcing women to pop out babies means more get abused/abandoned and end up dying anyway. And that is not what I'd call life.

And as far as pro-family goes? Disgusting. It implies that gay people cannot have families, and can almost be construed as a dehumanizing opinion. That sort of conviction deserves no respect because it is inherently disrespectful itself.

12. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I like this.

13. Foxface

I agree...PETA is sad and pathetic...I was making the simple point that non-right-wingers do it too

Foxface

14. I get tired of being called "Pro-Abortion"

in my last city they actually tried to ban abortions and I testified at the hearings

I am pro-choice, personally never have had one never would my point is abortion needs to be safe and available for anyone who wants/needs and chooses - it is not my/your business to choose for her

and for that I get called Pro-abortion? or Anti-Life?

I am Vegan - how many more lives do I save on weekly basis than any of these jerks! :thumbsup:

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a huge bitch, so I'm just gonna say the abortion debate needs to be reframed. There are two sides to the debate. It's not "pro-life" versus anti-life. It's pro-slavery and torture versus anti-slavery and torture. I am proud to count myself on the side of those against slavery and torture.

Likewise, its not "pro-family" versus anti-family. It's "anti-free association" versus freedom of association.

16. biggayguy

A person could use the term "Pro Death" to describe Choice advocates. Which is inferred by using the term "Pro Life" to describe the anti abortion group.

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Political movements like to attach their agenda to a common, but unbelievably vague idea. Family has literally thousands of definitions. But if they've claimed family as their own, for their opposition to exist means it is against family. Someone against family must be evil and dangerous. Life, too, is something most hold dear. Being against life then must be disgusting and inhumane.

It becomes easy to polarise an issue with simple words. They don't reflect reality (how is a poor girl supposed to survive with children? How is that pro-life?). But the words themselves are associated with such virtue and goodness that one immediately characterises a movement with those words at its PR front as good and charitable. It requires blurring situational reality; all falls under middle-class, white, suburban morality, and the situation is judged from the position of affluence and power. It's the imposition of a small set of values onto everyone using language. That language is dominated by the groups in power, and that power can be furthered using language as a tool.

George Orwell's Newspeak comes to mind, doesn't it?

18. sandshoes

Holy crap, I'm so happy that I live in a country where both same-sex marriage and abortion is leagal and there is no duscussion if it should be or not, it's just given that they are human rights.

19. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The anti-abortionists tried to ban abortion recently in my city. It's one of the few with a clinic that performs late-term abortions. Of course, the ordinance didn't pass, but they're still trying to get it banned, no matter how hopeless it is.

We should expand late-term abortion clinics in America - it's dreary that only 4 clinics perform abortions after 20 weeks in Amerika.

20. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

People Eating Tasty Animals