1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this wrong?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Dec 5, 2013.

1. person57

So, I met this guy on a dating site a few days ago and we spent a few days getting to know each other and we really like each other a lot and we decided to start dating today. My parents won't let me date so I'm keeping it a secret relationship. Also, he's from Seattle, Washington. Do you think there's anything wrong with having a long distance relationship and keeping it secret? (Also, I'm in California)

2. My main concern is your age. You're only 14. You need to be careful about meeting random guys from the internet.

3. animequeen567

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a long distance relationship and keeping it secret, BUT like IphisAndIanthe said your age is concerning. I don't think people are even allowed on dating sites if they are younger than 18....You also haven't actually met met this person have you? You have no idea if this guy could be catfishing you or if this is a person that might not be who he says he is (I know the oldest excuse in the book, but it's something to be careful and aware of). Just be careful. Use good judgement. I'm not telling you to break the relationship, just be careful.

4. person57

Well, the guy I'm dating is also 14 and I trust him

---------- Post added 5th Dec 2013 at 05:05 PM ----------

Well, I'm using a dating site that is made for teens

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Still makes catfishing a real possibility. I'd tread really, really lightly about this sort of thing.

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    14 year olds really don't need to be dealing with online "dating" in my opinion. You're still a kid basically. Not to mention you really don't know who you're dealing with until you video chat with them or something.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't see what's so wrong about it, so long as you're safe about matters, like not giving out too much personal information, until you are 100% sure.

We all have the need to seek love/affection, and just because we are 14 or 40 or 88 doesn't change that.

We live in an increasingly digital age; if two people who are 14 were to meet on a site like this one, and have an online 'relationship', I don't see anything wrong with it. Plus it can be hard to find people your age IRL. If anything, it may be helpful in learning how to meet people, and how relationships work in general. So long as you don't take undue risks, the only thing I can see happening might be a broken heart, and those heal, I had a few.

#7 HuskyPup, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  8. CrimsonThunder

It's not wrong if it makes you happy. :slight_smile:

Just be safe and try not to let yourself be hurt emotionally (as long distance relationships can do that) Good luck!

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Buddy, what are you doing on a dating site? You're 14!

There are so many predators out there and I know how you feel, but your parents are right. Don't do this.

10. Monika the Diva

Trust us, there's a lot of creepy people out there. Have you met this dude on skype? You should do that to see what he looks like but you shouldn't be dating anyone at 14, you're still too young. Way to young but that's just my opinion but please be careful the real world is REALLY not a great place.

11. Ridiculous

Says he's 14.
    And you shouldn't trust anyone you've only known online for a few days.

I know you don't want to hear any of this but it's in the interest of your safety. Be cautious.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're 14, and you have no way of authenticating his identity or verifying his age. I also think that emotional investment in a long distance relationship spanning across two state borders is setting yourself up for hurt and disappointment.

I think 16 is a reasonable time for you to be dating the boys in bright, sunny California.

13. person57

Okay, I'll be cautious

14. Skov

I would suggest trying to meet him on Skype if you haven't already. A few pictures can easily be taken off the internet to try to trick someone.

15. Data

Data Guest

Man, when I was drunk a few hours ago I was reading this thread and yelling at everyone in the room "AT LRAST HE FOUND SOMEONE. I WISH I COULD FIND SOMEONE WHO WANTED TO CALL ME HIS BOYFRIEND." I was a bit irritated that everyone was being such nervous nellies, but I guess you guys do have a valid point. If this person is indeed a 14 year old and you guys have some stuff in common, chit chat and do what you will. Don't meet anyone from the internet in person, and don't give out your email, phone, or address. You'll probably date a few people in your life man, and one or two might be pretty sketchy. You just deal with it and move on.

I'd feel terrible if I told you not to talk to him or do a LDR and he turned out to be your soulmate...

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Find a way to verify that he says who he is. Skype, or something else that completely proves he's telling the truth. There are a lot of predators who pretend to be teens so that they can rape them. You need to be very careful about this.

As Data said, do not give out your personal details. This is a really serious thing; you could be in a lot of danger if you do.

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fail to see the huge harm in 'dating' at 14. I started dating a girl at 13, and we dated until I was 16, and realized I was gay. Yes, it hurt, and was a hard thing to end, but I lived.

Lots of people date at that age...why do so many people seem to be acting so prudish? I can see the concern over internet predators, but geez-Louise, aren't people entitled to their romantic/sexual and social needs? Just because one is 14 doesn't mean you're somehow exempt.

18. animequeen567

I agree ^^^ Skype is a great idea.

19. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This may sound unpopular but...

You should not be allowed on dating websites. You should not be doing this in secret. It is very dangerous for someone as young and as inexperienced as yourself to be doing this. There are stories where people as young as yourself have been killed by meeting random strangers on the Internet. If I was you I would stop this at once. Focus on your studies, make friends, learn new skills and find some hobbies.

Your parents should monitor your activity on the Internet on a regular basis until your older like 18 years old.

So to make myself clear. Do not use dating websites. There are people out there who are dangerous and can harm you. Do not reveal any private information about yourself.

20. person57

Hey guys, so I decided to break up with him.