1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confront or ignore

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Dec 6, 2013.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes on Facebook we will see people use anti gay words like fag and do you confront them or ignore them. It depends on my mood if they are friend of mine I would just delete them or hid their posts on my wall. Even if they are not a friend I might confront them nicely. At any rate it is never really worth confronting them because they will usually give an unintelligent answer. Although if it is a relative it's even more personal.

2. Hexagon

Confront, unless the users of the words will just say "oh, it doesn't mean queer anymore, it means stupid. Get over yourself"

3. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    My brother and I are both bisexuals and we both use the words "fag" or "faggot" casually. So on facebook it doesn't bother me at all.

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I use those words a lot myself. Therefore, how could I confront someone about it?

It sounds like you're looking for reasons to be offended, and that's a sign of anti-social behavior.

5. My Two Wings

I used to just ignore it, but now I'll say something like "It's not nice to use that word." Luckily, I don't see it get used often (at least, not on Facebook).

I have been called faggot a few times on other sites I visit. The person is just playing around, but it's really awful to be called such a word, so I definitely say something about it.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I probably wouldn't confront someone over it, but if it happened more than once, I'd probably unsubscribe from their updates or quietly unfriend them for it (depending on whether they use it in their own statuses or in comments on my statuses, respectively). I do my best to keep Facebook is a safe space for me, and people using my sexuality as a slur has no place in my safe space.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another user blowing my thoughts out of proportion. I am a typically shy person but I live a very good life with a great man so don't get all therapist on my ass.

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2013 at 01:10 PM ----------

Yeah I usually just delete them simple as that.

8. unless its a relative i ignore. facebook is a load of drama anyway haha.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that is usually the best thing to do.

10. agelos

Out Status:
    Some people
    even gay ppl use such words, or trans*. they just don't get it's a damn way of helping discrimination against themselves continue. they use them to offend ppl who mock them because they're diferent or non straight, or mis-gender them

this should stop sometime it's just too infuriating

11. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My response to that is "those words are a slur against me so why wasn't I consulted on the meaning being changed?"

Either shuts them up or leads them to metaphorically hang themselves.

12. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't confront people.

People need to accept that there are people who are going to disagree with you. Their views might even be offensive. However, you cannot force people to change their views because your feelings are hurt.

I suppose in some circumstances it is fine to point out that it is not polite to say such things. That is acceptable IMO but should only be done if you believe there is a possibility the outcome will be fruitful. Otherwise your wasting your time.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What i meant by confront is just telling someone that it is offensive to say such things. I did not mean threats or something like that.

14. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understand you did not mean to threaten them. However, sometimes it is pointless to tell people that you find something offensive when it is highly likely they are not going to agree with you. It is like arguing with a brick wall. Nothing good comes out of it.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I totally agree its not worth it.

16. Tzoa

I don't really do anything on Facebook. I use it as an instant message service to chat with my friends, none of whom use derogatory language like that. But if I were to branch out and be more involved on Facebook, I would say something if I knew the person. Otherwise, ignore them.

17. Projectfabulous

I ignore them unless they are directed at me or a friend whom I know is not okay with it.

18. Siarad

The decision whether or not to challenge people's language is a very personal decision and it takes a lot of courage and self-possession to challenge someone.

However, I would argue that we need to acknowledge that language is meaningful and important.

I actually believe that language is important and revealing. The word 'handicapped' to describe disabled people, for example, doesn't sound like an offensive word at all and was used as formal language for many years, however the word actually comes from Victorian times and the fact that disabled people were seen as having absolutely no chances of performing in life like able-bodied people and could certainly not work and therefore would have no option but to go begging or 'cap in hand'. When you think of it that way, it casts a suggestion of disabled people that is entirely derogatory and negative, dehumanising in many ways.

I also think that the language surrounding homosexuality is significant. The meaning of 'gay' has altered from its original meaning but it does now have that meaning, formally and in many people's description of their orientation. That has not changed, in fact, 'gay' is now mainstream, formal, official language for homosexual orientation. So to sanction the use of the word in a negative context, is also to sanction the association of homosexuality with negativity. If we allow that or consider it unimportant or unconnected, then we risk inadvertently endorsing homophobia.

(What I really look forward to is a future where all terms to describe sexual orientation are abandoned in favour of people generally describing their 'type' of partner and gender being an incidental part of that. But as long as we need terms for sexuality, let's defend ourselves on the ways they're manipulated and turned against us.