1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Americans or people who have been to America!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tyrael, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Tyrael

Hello, as the title says I'm looking for anyone who is American or has traveled to America on holiday or such for some advice.

I'm planning a trip, between mid-January and the end of March. Any time really. Anyway I would like to go to America on this trip. I'm trying to do it cheap, such as flight only, and then find accommodation when I land if need be.

The main issue is, I haven't been to America before, and I know nothing about anywhere IN America. I know I don't want to stay in a big city (due to needing it to be cheap) and I'm able to drive so I can get around if I need to. That being said, I'd rather not be in the middle of nowhere. That's really my only preferences.

Any advice on places you live or have stayed would be nice.

2. Techno Kid

Cities big or small have different hotel/hostel prices and style options so it really depends on what interests you have.

3. Nyarlathotep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well, most traditional tourist spots are in big cities but i suppose Yellowstone National Park would be a cheap destination. Its main attraction is its numerous geysers but it also has a beautiful forest and hiking trails. St. Augustine down in Florida would also be fairly cheap. It has a beach, a fort from the Spanish colonization, and various stuff that can be found in any old city. However it all depends on what you want to do and the prices will vary from any city big or small like the previous post said

4. Tyrael

Yeah of course I realise most big cities are where people like to go I guess. I'm just looking for something relaxing to be honest, I don't like it too hot (I'm from Glasgow and it's almost permanently cold here!). I'm happy if there's some decent pubs and food places nearby and cheap accommodation would be ideal but as mentioned that'll depend on where I am.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you know anyone in the US you can stay with? Any particular things you'd like to see?

Also, be warned that the earlier in the year you come, the worse the weather is going to be.

6. Tyrael

I don't know anyone in the US except a good friend, who is willing to sponsor me if I move there but it's not somewhere I could stay.

I'm fine with bad weather, I'd love to see some snow anyway. I live in Glasgow in Scotland, it's permanently bad weather here so it's nothing unusual! :lol:

I would like to be within traveling distance (I could hire a car) of some popular tourist places, but I am happy with anywhere that has some bars and restaurants. Just not the middle of nowhere.

7. AKTodd

It depends on what you want to see/experience.

In terms of historical stuff, I'd actually suggest my part of the country (Tidewater, Virginia) - we have the Jamestown colony, Williamsburg, a boatload of museums, and various memorials, plus gobs of historical locations (yes, I know Scotland probably has pubs older than my entire country:wink: - but anyway). There's also a pretty nice aquarium in my area and Washington DC is only about 3-4hrs drive away (the Smithsonian Institution and tons of memorials). We also have the oceanfront which, it being the off season, will have very cheap hotel rates for a fairly nice place to stay. The downside is that traffic can get pretty bad (what side of the road do you folks drive on?) and at that time of year the leave will be off the trees and it may be rather grey and dull. Snow is unlikely here but will be around farther north probably.

If you like natural beauty, I'd suggest California or the American Southwest. Some beautiful mountains, the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater and such in Arizona (also maybe skiing in the mountains in Northern AZ). California also has nice mountains, redwood forests, and some cool cities. More big cities though. The weather will seem lovely by your standards from what you're saying. Not sure what costs of hotels and such will be.

Hope this helps,

Todd

8. Tyrael

Well that all would certainly keep me busy! Thanks for posting, lots of good information. I have actually been considering Milwaukee, not for any particular reason, I just heard about someone visiting it recently. And let's be honest, there's just so many places to choose from! We drive on the correct side of the road over here (!) (just kidding) the left side. I drive for a living so I'm perfectly ok with driving if I need to! I would probably be there for 7-10 days depending on how much money I have and how much the flights etc are. It's just so hard to narrow it down! Once I do I can start checking prices etc.

9. ninerw

If you're ok with weather, I would check out the Appalachian Mountains. There are some really nice small towns nestled in them, and they are beautiful year round. Plus they are in a days drive to a number of major cities, like NYC, Philly, Washington, Atlanta, etc.

If you're looking for some place cultural, no better place than NYC. But it can get expensive. There are some nice cheap options here, but it's all about looking for them. Central Park is free, so there's that! You could also check out Philadelphia which I find to be cheaper than any other major US city, especially since it is between the most expensive cities of Washington, NYC, and Boston.

But I live in NYC and am from the Southern Appalachians, so I am biased. Where are you flying to, or have you not made your flight reservations?

10. Tyrael

Hi there, I do like the sound of being able to check out NYC, Philly etc as I'm quite happy driving. I haven't booked any flights, though I will be trying to fly to wherever I decide upon, from London.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in Utah, and I definitely agree that going to a national park would be great. Check them out here:
    U.S. National Park Service - Experience Your America

Also, if you like snow, definitely somewhere in the Rocky Mountains would be great. Utah has very good skiing, but that can be expensive.

Since you can drive, you could stay in suburban areas of a big city. I lived for a short time in Pasadena, which is part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area, and it was a nice quiet area with Hollywood and downtown LA only ~30 minutes away.

If you're interested in Native American ("Indian") culture, you might try New Mexico.

12. Data

Data Guest

Don't come to Tucson. You'll be bored to tears and you might get hit by a snowbird who doesn't onow how to drive.

Phoenix would be nice though.

13. AmityRanch

Disney World

14. Sitri

Not exactly a common tourist destination. Though, it is fairly close to Chicago, so if you want to check out that area and stay cheap it's probably smart. Just to warn you, the Midwest consists of cities, surrounded by suburbs, and everything in between is corn. Not a lot to be seen between the cities.

15. Tyrael

Please excuse my ignorance, but what areas would you consider to be Midwest? I thought Chicago/Milwaukee were more to the East.

16. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you do go to Milwaukee, there's an awesome spy-themed restaurant. I've lived in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan, so I know a few things about that region, although I'm not too familiar with Milwaukee. Of course, it's not tremendously far from Chicago or St. Paul and Minneapolis, so if you wanted to visit either of those places while you're in the US of A, that would be an option too.

17. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Buy an American travel book.

18. Techno Kid

This might help. :slight_smile:

Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

19. Tyrael

Thanks for all the information everyone. It just seems like there's so many places to go to! I'm trying to narrow it down so I can at least try and price the flights. So many interesting places :slight_smile: you're all very lucky living there!

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2013 at 03:41 AM ----------

Haha thank you! :slight_smile: appreciate it.

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's not cheap in the slightest. Otherwise, that would be a great suggestion.

Midwest cities would include Chicago, Indianapolis, anywhere in Ohio, Kansas City and St. Louis.

I actually suggest St. Louis more than Chicago, as you'll probably see more beggars in Chicago than St. Louis. It's also a very pretty city in the summertime, plus there's a lot of Mark Twain stuff.

Edit: Saw the Wiki page, and I didn't realize Minneapolis was in there. Definitely check that place out.

#20 Jinkies, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013