1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic thinking of heterosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mr Loopy30, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Mr Loopy30

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone else think MOST heterosexual people automatically assume everyone is heterosexual? When I said to a group of heterosexual friends, "me and my boyfriend..." They all said "you're bent?!" It annoys me when people are like this. Unfortunately for me, many of my 'friends' are stubborn-minded heterosexual homophobic-to-men-but-not-women.

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually know quite a few that don't. Slowly getting better, I think.

3. Mr Loopy30

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol i wish I had your friends. I have only a few who are open minded about 'life'.

4. Ibz

Ibz

Over the past few months of being in a relationship with a lovely lady, I've learned that there are few things more powerful than people's ability to make up excuses for two girls holding hands. (Oh, they're really good friends... they're showing solidarity with x culture where hand holding is a big thing... etc.)

Considering most of the population is heterosexual, I try not to get too upset when people assume everyone is, but, yeah, it can get annoying. I have some friends (straight and otherwise inclined) who do not assume such things, and others who do. I'd personally rather not say that *most* straight folk assume that everyone is heterosexual, since I'm generally against generalizing. But, yeah, a lot of people do assume that.

5. Mr Loopy30

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I kinda didn't look before I leapt. I just get so annoyed and stressed at homosexual discrimination against men when it doesn't happen to women or when bisexuals don't get and abuse. I hope you and your girlfriend are having a good relationship (I'm guessing your still in the same relationship, if not I hope you have some for of love in your life.)

6. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lesbians and bisexuals don't receive abuse? What are you talking about?

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heteronormativity is pretty annoying. It seems to be improving. A lot more people than only a few years ago make few/no assumptions until something has been proved.

Yeah, and what are you talking about? Do you actually think lesbians and bisexuals don't receive abuse?

8. My Two Wings

Ugh, I'm pretty sure there's a term for that (assuming everyone is the majority unless stated otherwise), but I can't remember what it is. Oh well...

Anyways, they probably do, but I would hope not. If there's one thing I hate, it's someone assuming what my sexuality is.

9. sysreq

You know what else bothers me? When people think there's a difference between non-heterosexual and Queer!

And yes there is like one person I know who isn't heteronormative.....it gets annoying.

I'm sometimes forced to be heteronormative around them. I hate it.

"There's nothing that annoys me more than when anyone tries to tell anyone else about their religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity." -Me

10. Ibz

Ibz

We are having a good relationship-- thanks! :slight_smile:

I actually meant to agree with you (mostly) with my post. Lots of people do assume that everyone is straight. They assume my girlfriend and I are straight, even when we're holding hands. Guys probably experience this differently because of societal expectations for masculinity. But it's a real bummer, for all of us.

At this point, I haven't really experienced any overt homophobia directed at me (at least, since middle school, which was long ago). But, I've really only been out for a few months and I haven't come out to any people I know aren't too fond of gay folk. Also, I'm only one queer lady, so I can't speak for everyone. I know lots of women get plenty of discrimination, and heck, I'm sure I will, eventually. Yay! :wink:

11. musicrebel

I dunno, like the kids in my community who go to my school, some of them don't even believe in gay/bi/lesbian/etc. people! It drives me insane. They grow up thinking everyone is straight and don't even believe that people other than straight exist. It's sad because when they get out into the real world, they'll be so afraid of non-hetero/cisgendered people.

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, this has actually been the case with most people I know. You're straight until proven guilty.

Complete opposite when I'm in an LGBT crowd, for obvious reasons. I can usually assume I've got a good shot at a male date (or, hey, so I wish- I am trans, not a miracle worker) in the throng. :lol:

But anyway, back to your point. Most people tend to be straight so unfortunately, lot of people (and even I'm guilty), operate on indeductive logic. If 80% of the people you're coming across are straight, you tend to assume that's typically true of the other 20%.

13. Mr Loopy30

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I didn't really think my reply thoroughly, sorry for sounding so stubborn.