1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyber Bullying

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musicalshyguy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. musicalshyguy

How can I stop cyber bullying from happening to my best friend who lives in another state from me? Someone emailed her this- "Awe little miss can't fight there own battles must have gotten her feeling hurt poor baby are you gonna go cry to momma! Gonna tell on me!?!? Awww I'm in so much trouble :O! I don't get two shots fat ass nothing is going to stop me! You can tell the president if you want! Everyone's still gonna know your a worthless fat ass bitch XP BECAUSE YOUR A NASTY ASS BITCH!!!" I got my friend to tell me the email and I sent them- "who the hell do you think you are? talking to savannah like that?! you deserve to burn in hell for treating innocent people like that, you piece of shit!"
    I fucking hate some people. Excuse my language but this needs to stop!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell her to delete the email and move on, block the email address and don't respond. Don't you respond either.

EDIT: Also perhaps your friend might want to be more careful about who she gives her email details to...

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it doesn't look like they can get arrested for their message, but you can definitely report them to the service provider and the email domain (Yahoo, Google, AIM, etc)

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, delete the email, and any sites she uses it with. Also, it would be in your best interest not to contact these people anymore. It's a bit childish, and would only get you thrown in the pot as well.

5. musicalshyguy

She's keeping them to show her counselor.

6. Sully

Lol. Not at your friend, but at the idiot bully. Some people are so thick. On a serious note though, I think experts say that the best way to stop cyber bullying is to not expose yourself to it. Simply, turn off your computer.

Also don't bother replying to them! You've gotten yourself involved and cyber bullied the bully! Doesn't that make you just as bad?

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just delete them...why even open the things? What's the counselor going to do with them apart from say 'yep, that's bullying alright!' and tell her to delete them...

8. Data

Data Guest

Just ignore it. Usually nothing happens till someone kills themself. Don't egg 'em on and just ignore it.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If she knows who is harassing her, the best thing to do is give the information to her local police and let them handle it; cyber harassment is illegal in many jurisdictions. If it isn't in hers, the best thing to do is simply delete the emails without reading them, and put the source of the mails into her "killfile", so that they get dumped quickly before she ever sees them. She can also contact the ISP of the sending source and inform them about what is happening; if they are an actual net access supplier, not just an email service, they can cut the offending party off the net; most ISPs have "conditions of service" in their contracts which prohibit such activities.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In Montana, it is a crime to communicate with someone if they do not want to be party to the communication. That means, if you've asked someone to stop calling you or emailing you, and they persist anyway, it's a violation under the Privacy in Communications statute.

I don't know what the state of the law is Louisiana, but it is possible your friend might be able to make a legal threat.

11. photoguy93

These people are attention seekers. Don't respond to it and tell your friend to either report it as spam or delete the account. Does she have any way of knowing who it is? It could just be some ass who thinks he's being funny.

12. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    This is the best idea let the school deal with the kids

13. DMark69

I agree with most of the posts already. The bully is looking for attention, if you block and ignore, they will get bored and move on. Replying, from you or your friend will get the the attention they want and they will continue.

14. Mr Scratch

Cyber bullying is becoming a real problem, but the solution seems easy to me: ignore it.

If you feed the troll, you empower it. Typically speaking, bullies are people with ego problems (and potentially problems of their own that we're unaware of) and the best way to deal with them is to ignore them.

I wouldn't delete the e-mails (in case the activity continues, you need to have something with which to report it) but I would definitely block the address so that they can't keep sending the harassing messages. And has been said, only give one's e-mail address to people one trusts.

15. Nikky DoUrden

I agree with what the people above said, especially contacting someone of authority that can deal with the kids (although from your post im not sure whats the age of the bully/troll).

In any case - explain your friend that the cyber-bully doesn't deserve his attention, and at most there is a simple filter u can do for emails so they'll automatically sent to spam.
    But again, its good to let someone of authority know about it, maybe even the bully parents.

16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Turning off the computer is the obvious solution.
    Why don't people just delete these troll emails or do something else? Why dwell on it?

17. Sorceress of Az

You can block Email Addresses?
    How do you do that? (Seriously I didn't know you could do that.)

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Review your state law. Montana has a law on the books protecting privacy of communications. In particular, you can direct someone to cease communicating with you, and they must do so, or they are violating the law.

Perhaps Louisiana has something analogous?

19. Mr Scratch

I think people of a certain age have trouble not dwelling on this sort of thing. When I was a teenager, it was easy to get hung up on things that now wouldn't phase me in the slightest.

You can mark them as spam, which will filter all mail from that address directly into your spam folder, or some e-mail services will allow you to create a block list that will prevent e-mail from addresses added to the list by you from reaching your inbox.

20. gaymersofter

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ElliaOtaku and Ryuichi said are two options.

However if it does really get out of hand cyber bullying is a crime, if your friend wants to make it a legal issue. But then she needs to save all the Emails and other messages.
    Cyberstalking and Cyberharassment Laws | State Laws against Cyberbullying

also two other potential laws they may also violate are;
    -Defamation: making stuff up about your friend, and saying/writing it where the public to see or hear. Such as saying that your friend beats up children and molests them, when it not true. (as this can adversely effect their lives, like not getting a job because an employer falsely believes that the applicant is a bad person, based on the lie)

-Criminal threatening/Intimidation:
    This is where the person makes physical threats of violence to said person or to their property. (such as saying "I'm going to kick your ass tomorrow!" or "I'm going to burn your house down!")