1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biphobia in the gay community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sk808, Dec 9, 2013.

1. sk808

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey guys, (this is one of my first posts so hi!:slight_smile: ) anyway, this girl named arielle has a youtube channel where she talks about stuff LGBT related, and recently uploaded a video about what lesbians think of bisexuals (here's the video if you haven't seen it) What Lesbians Think About Bisexuals - YouTube and there views on bisexual girls were not very good at all. The girls use words like "confused" and "greedy" to describe bisexuals. What gets me mad is how can people that are part of the gay community be so judgmental about someones sexuality? Some of the things these girls talk about are not even valid points. One of the girls say that she would rather date a lesbian because a "bisexual might go back to a guy" basically what she's saying is a bisexual is more likely to cheat on you than a lesbian. which is not true, it comes down to the person if they would cheat and not just based on there sexuality. I mean these girls are gay them self's so they obviously know how homophobic people can be towards them and other gay people but then there being biphobic? There being complete hypocrites, and that's what makes me so mad that there gay them self's and judge people based on there sexuality. Biphobia is a huge problem in there gay community. I do think some girls/guys give bisexauls a bad name tho don't get me wrong, due to the fact some gay people do go trough a stage of being confused and settling with the label bisexual and later coming out as gay, or the fact some girls do come out as bisexual for attention. But there are many people out there that are genuinely bisexual. And it makes me very angry and sad that some gay people have these opinions on bisexuals. I myself am gay but have a few bisexaul friends. So this isnt much of a question, but more of a rant/discussion. What do ye guys think of the video? any opinions submitted are appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Data

Data Guest

I think it was meant as a stunt to bring those hurtful stereotypes to light. They didn't really mean it. Gay God did something just like it, but with bi guys.

3. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although the video likely wasn't the people really feeling or thinking those stereotypes, there are definitely is biphobia, or I guess a lack of understanding of bisexuals, in the gay community.

4. sk808

Out Status:
    All but family
    These were genuine people talking, it wasen't staged or anything

5. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Either way, it certainly pointed out the stereotypes that do exist against bi people by the gay community.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Proportionately, I think there is more biphobia in the gay community than there is in the straight community. Again, this is my perception based on what I've heard said, including many snide remarks. With SOME straight folks, it's either a major turn-off that the person has the capacity to engage in same sex acts or it's something they'll sweep under the rug because the person is normal "enough" for them in that they can pass. With SOME gay folks, it seems to be a "shucks, we didn't land us another one in our corner." How would a few additional people labeling as gay help the collective cause. It seems that some love to provide a directory of who is and who might be gay for self-validation rather than respecting that everyone is different.

This topic is one of the popular ones here. The others seem to be whether oral sex can transmit HIV, discerning sexual preference amidst mixed messages, and a few others. It's all good. That's what the forum is here for.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hated what they said in that video

8. My Two Wings

This is why I don't understand when I see LGBT people discriminating against bisexuals, or trans* people, or asexuals, or pansexuals, or whatever. We're supposed to be a community of accepting people for who they are, so why attack each other? It can only hurt us.

I didn't watch the video since I can probably guess what's said in it. It's usually the exact same things homophobes say: "They're confused", "They're just trying to be different", etc. How do they not catch the blatant hypocrisy there? It's truly baffling.

9. Foster

I started watching this video a while back but I couldn't finish it because it was really hurtful and it made me mad......

10. Daydream Harp

Didn't manage to stomach to watch the video either, but wow is that mean and hypocritical of them to say things like that indeed... now I feel kinda afraid of dying alone...

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw both versions, actually. It seemed like the women were more insecure around the issue and tried making light of the situation with common stereotypes, while the men were more self-assured and dismissive of the orientation altogether, with bitchy attempts to sound cute.

Always to see the differences between men and women/gays and lesbians. It really brings to light the issue surrounding gender: the sexuality of men is rigid and unchanging, while "all girls are bisexual in college"... I never understood how some gay men could believe in and support bisexuality in women, but not men.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good post. Even worse is an insecure and homophobic sociopathic executive who turned a blind eye to lesbians in an organization (well, it was good for the few women who were lesbians) but hated the guys he suspects are not straight, all of whom were more conventional than not.

Yes, so while there's LUG (lesbian until graduation), there's also BUG ... and beyond. LOL. Also, how is it that a woman in college could enjoy it as a student and then suddenly NOT like it? She's probably also BUG ... and beyond.

13. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember watching that video. It was pretty difficult, and I felt sick by the end of it. I mean, I've met people who think bisexuality is just confusion about your sexuality, but those girls in the video were just so open and rude about it. Frankly, I was thankful for the video, because afterwards I actually knew that there were people who thought like this. Now I feel better prepared, should I ever meet someone who doubts my sexuality in this way.

Also, thank goodness not everybody thinks bisexuals don't exist. The girl who created the video even stated that she believes in bisexuality, and made a video of bi girls reacting to the one the lesbians made.

14. thisisawug

This kind of thing drives me crazy! Just because you haven't experienced a particular feeling yourself (like not solely being attracted to one gender) doesn't mean that it isn't valid in other people. It's like saying "I don't like tomatoes, therefore it's impossible that anybody else could like tomatoes. They're just confused about their taste buds and trying to get attention by stating something as radical as liking this particular type of food in the 21st century"

I guess the thing that we have to remember is that even though people of gender/sexual minorities are always being referred to as a community, we're actually just as diverse a sample of the population as taking everyone who has brown eyes, or everyone who likes tomatoes. We might have some shared experiences with questioning, coming out and facing discrimination but at the end of the day there are going to be ignorant, prejudiced gay people just as there are ignorant, prejudiced straight people.

Still, this kind of thing is just ridiculous. Hopefully one day everyone, gay and straight, will be able to accept others for the way they are.

15. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not going to lie, That video REALLY pissed me off, I'm sure at least one of the girls in the video has experienced homophobia, What a bunch of hypocrites!

16. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah doesn't the B in LGBT stand for Bisexual? I mean, we all are on the same side...

17. BattyNora

Intolerance in any form leaves a bitter taste, but when it comes from those that more than likely have been on the negative side of this themselves is just horrible.

18. sk808

Out Status:
    All but family
    Not all lesbians hold these opinions. I'm gay myself but could never understand how someone in the community could be biphobic. I mean, were all a minority who face discrimination but these girls choose to discriminate against people in within the community? I don't get it

19. BattyNora

Sadly, while there are those that are happy to accept we are all different and have the right to he different, there will ALWAYS be people who are unwilling or unable to.

There will always be people who are intolerable to things they do not understand in any walk of life. Realising that this way of thinking is their problem and not a reflection on those they are intolerant to is easoer said than done.

20. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't watch the video, but I think Biphobia is more of a problem than Homophobia. Like you say, gays are the source of a lot of Biphobia because they will go through a period of denial/uncertainty, claiming to be Bi. Then they jilt their often straight partners uponn ascertaining their sexual incompatibility. For Bisexuals, it's a double sting because this sort of thing creates negative stereotypes of Bisexuals even though it's homosexuals doing this, not them.

I do think some anger is misplaced jealousy of Bisexuals by homosexuals, but altogether I think homosexuals who are Biphobic are just returning the hate they've beenn subjected to against an even more marginalized target. Obviously they do sometime bully heteros, but often they pick on Bisexuals cause they're an easier enemy to go after.

More, the advent of gay acceptance has allowed homos to wield more power, and now they're repressing bisexuals i a way that heteros id to them once. Gays, who have long posited the view that homosexuality is immutable an that by extension they should be afforded rights, haven't applied that same compassion to Bisexuals.

Bisexuals haven't been afforded the overt kindness since the market has geared its efforts at homosexuals instead, and in the struggle for inclusion they've jettisoned Bisexuals, just like they did to trans* people long before.