1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sugar free me

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andstillimhere7, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay so I'm taking this no sugar challenge and I just want to know the facts. What can I eat, watch for, avoid, get? I don't want to eat sugar stuff like candy and sweeteners can you please give info.

2. Tzoa

Read the labels of everything you buy, both the nutrition information and the ingredients. Better yet, avoid the middle aisles in the grocery store. That's where you find most of the high-sugar, highly-processed foods you'll want to avoid. You'll probably crave something sweet, but try not to go overboard on the fruits.

3. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So can I eat fruits and dairy (except ice creams)? Because I find it difficult because everything has sugar in it. Does mayo count? Do some vegetables contain sugar?

4. Tzoa

You're right, pretty much everything does have sugar in it. But there's a difference between naturally occurring sugars and added sugars, and I think the sugar-free challenge is talking about avoiding the added sugars.

If you're trying to avoid ALL sugars, even naturally occurring ones, then no, you can't eat any fruits or vegetables. You wouldn't be able to eat any dairy or grains, either. It doesn't leave you with a whole lot of options, and even though these foods have naturally occurring sugars, it doesn't mean they're unhealthy. A better option would be to cut out all processed sugar and to eat fruits and vegetables that are low in naturally occurring sugars.

5. Formality

I'd not stop eating sugar althrough. I think you should eat some fruit still, fruit is good for you as long as you don't overconsumate it. And it contains some sugar, but as Tzoa said that sugar naturally occurs in the fruit.

A little tip. If you get tempted to eat sugar, make a smoothie instead with some spinach, kale, some strawberries, a banana, some ice and some greek yoghurt. It's healthy and it actually does help even though you might think it doesn't. Good luck! :slight_smile:

6. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Can I eat white rice and potatoes because I've heard that it has bad sugar in it. But I'm dubious. I'm sorry I'm taking this seriously.

7. Tzoa

White rice and potatoes are high in refined carbohydrates (and sugars are just a type of carbohydrate), which affects your blood sugar levels. Brown or wild rice is a better alternative to white rice, and I've heard that squash is better than potatoes.

8. Hexagon

No sugar challenge???? What is this evil? I've never heard of it.

Well, whatever it is, you have my sympathies and respect. Good luck.

9. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you, I was dared into it as well as the health benefits to it. I'm really worried about what I eat, I'm being a glucophobe

10. photoguy93

Why are you doing this? It's a huge commitment, and I think that it really could backfire. I'd consider giving up things in succession, like...candy one week, then pop, etc, etc. Or, just eat healthier. It's very hard to go cold turkey.

You can get rid of sugar.....you can eat healthier! Just be aware that "no sugar added" means more sugar typically.

Keep us posted!

11. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well this is a challenge and why? So I can be faster and other health benefits. Basically I will avoid junk food and other unhealthy foods with large amount of sugars. I with keep this up for 1 month and as long as I can. This is also a test about my self-control.

12. Tzoa

It sounds like you already know what foods to avoid. The less that is done to the food before you buy it, the better. And I really like Formality's tip. Green smoothies are so good!

Good luck!

13. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's been almost week and the lack of sugar candy is okay, but then there is the other foods that do contain sugar and I've been angry because there are foods that have starch and I try to avoid those.

14. the idea is you want complex carbohydrates

Sweet potatoes are better for you anyway, one potato every now ant t hen would be OK, especially if you eat it prepared correctly, Baked and with stuff added, not french fried, or scalloped or like tht

white rice out, Brown rice good.

Fruit is OK, because it is complex, you are cutting out refined sugar, and fruit is quite complex, no fruit juice straight though that would get rid of all of the beneficial fiber and other ingredients - eat the whole thing, preferably raw AND in season

I use sugar no problem after having cleaned up my act , I was severely hypoglycemic for years but after eating very healthy for years I am much better

after a while some maple syrup or agave juice for sweetening may be OK but use sparingly as they are sugars, just much more natural than refined sugar, they are complex