1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone is/was homeschooled?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by apostrophied, Dec 9, 2013.

1. apostrophied

Title says it all! :slight_smile:

If you're homeschooling, how are you doing it?

If you already graduated, what are you currently up to?

I was homeschooled K-12, graduated from The Keystone School in 2011, and am now studying psychology (junior in college). I've been on the dean's list for both freshman and sophomore year, so I guess you could say I've proved the naysayers wrong.

Anyone else? :slight_smile:

2. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was homeschooled. I don't wanna talk about it, lol. It was a bad experience on soo many levels, and I am defsss not going to be makin any deaan's list, lol. But, hey, I'm glad it worked out for you :grin:!

3. apostrophied

Alrighty lol, we shall not talk about it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Bear101

I homeschooled our daughter until she was in the middle of 5th grade. It was a great experience for both of us.

5. Sarcastic Luck

I was homeschooled my entire life. Ended up signing up with an online schooling system set up by a school in OKC. Ended up having to repeat 3 grades; was in 12th when I signed up, chose to be bumped down to 9th because I understood jack all in math/science. Walked/got my diploma. Got into college, had to do two remedial courses in math.

I absolutely hated being homeschooled. Had no social interaction, and what little I had, I was treated like shit because I was the outsider/didn't go to school with them.

As it stands now, I have an Associate of Science and am applying to get into one of the two pharmacy colleges in the state.

6. apostrophied

I agree about being treated like crap for not being in the crowd. Well, for me not like crap, but not fully included. Mind you, that was only a problem when dealing with certain crowds (like the all-girls catholic school kids, they were impossible to break into).

Congratulations on applying to pharmacy, that's a big accomplishment!

@Bear101: that does sound like fun, I'm glad it worked out for you!

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hey.

I homeschooled for four years, all of high school. Wouldn't say it was a bad experience- was nice working at my own pace. Most of it was independent work, got to where I'd choose and review the curriculum or cobble it together from text books and online courses. Had to assist with my sisters' (had four) schooling. For a while, I was the primary teacher of them.

STEM subjects were always a struggle, especially math. Even well before I left public school to homeschool, I was making good grades but not understanding the material.

Still lacking in science (never found a good secular curriculum) but after loads of different curriculums and texts, finally got a grasp on math.

Got along well with other homeschoolers, at least when I was still living in a liberal area. Moved to Oregon and most of the other homeschoolers were zealously religious, we weren't on the same page. Always struggled with social anxiety but got a lot worse after I started homeschooling (but I can blame a lot of this on puberty- that's when I grew into a neurotic nut :lol:slight_smile:

I'm now a community college student working towards transferring to a four year university and a possible career in journalism and media communications.

#7 drwinchester, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  8. WallWeed

I was homeschooled all the way through until my senior year in highschool (when I began taking full time college classes), and I don't regret one second of it! Truly a remarkable experience and I'm so thankful to my mom for making the sacrifice to homeschool me.

While my younger years were probably not as socialized as they could have been, from middleschool on I was blessed with a wonderful group of friends that I'm still privileged to call my best friends today!

I'm currently a junior in college, studying Music Composition, and I absolutely love it! My first semester was a bit of a culture shock, as I had never set foot in a classroom, taken any online classes, or done any sorts of testing (outside of a couple of AP finals). I basically taught myself everything right out of the textbooks from 7th-11th grade. But despite it all, I managed to acclimate quickly and made it through my first semester with straight A's! (not to brag at all, I'm just sick of people claiming that homeschooling doesn't prepare students for the "real world" or "real education.")

9. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I too was a "high school only" homeschooler. Although, in my case, I only completed about the equivalent of ninth grade because my mom was in too poor of health to teach the last three years. (This was way back before the state really kept a close eye on homeschools to ensure kids were getting the education they required.) Got my GED at 19 (really good scores), drifted aimlessly for a few years, then took my SAT at 26 (also did well on this) and enrolled in community college. Currently a full-time (perpetually underachieving) professional and part-time art school student.

Do I regret not going to public high school? Every single day of my life.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, honestly I regret it as well. Kind of wonder how I would've turned out to be if I'd stayed in public school. Less anxious? More friends? Mind boggles.

11. Hopeful

I was homeschooled all the way through! My senior year I did go to the public high school in the afternoons for chorus and band and track.

I'm glad I was homeschooled. My mom is very relaxed about homeschooling, so I do wish I'd gotten more structure, whether it be from my mom, or whether it had been from a charter school or something. I did take some online classes, through VLACS. I took Spanish I, II, III, Latin I, II, Mandarin Chinese I, as well as an SAT prep course and a GED prep course. I didn't find out about the classes until I was sophomore in high school, but I wish I'd started taking classes in 8th grade or freshman year - that way I could have gotten an actual diploma from them.

For example, I just took the GED (and passed!) but nobody really knows except my family... I feel embarrassed saying I didn't have a diploma of any sort until now. But oh well, it all worked out and I'm okay now.

12. biggayguy

There was a family that had six home-schooled brothers in my church. They seemed very self contained. They were very intelligent but quiet. Around each other they acted like normal boys but not with other people. The oldest boy went a bit wild in college.

13. My cousins are home-schooled, and their parents are doing a wonderful job. I think it depends on the parents, really. For instance, If my parents had decided to homeschool me, I'd be screwed, but it works for some.

Also I already have really bad social anxiety, and I imagine I'd be even worse if I hadn't been forced to interact with my peers in school.

14. Shamash

I'm home schooled at the moment. Well. Kind of. See, I go to an online school, and my parents have no involvement with my teaching. Which is nice. I go to classes at regular times, just like in normal schools, but I go to them online. With other real kids. So I'm not entirely socially deprived.

It can be difficult, and at times I get really, really stressed. Such as now. Because finals are coming up. (I use a proctor to take tests.) My grades are B- average, which is meh. I don't really know what I want to be yet, so I'm taking balanced classes. A lot of the time I feel like I'm underperforming, because my classmates are all really good students, and I am not that great of a student. So, yeah. That's it. Feel free to ask more questions.

15. apostrophied

That online school sounds like a lot of fun! I actually had a similar arrangement in grade 8, when I had an online homeroom twice a week. In high school, though, the social interaction happened on FB exclusively. I wasn't too into it (personal preference), but some of them made real friends and even relationships that have lasted even now that they are in college. Do you mind sharing the name of your program? Or at least whether it's private or funded by the school board?

You're probably a fine student, don't let yourself be discouraged by your classmates' high grades. In online school, you tend to find a lot of high achievers simply because regular school was not meeting their needs. Of course, those who don't quite measure up to their academic talents feel inadequate, but hey, homeschooling is all about working at your level and at your pace. :slight_smile:

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did online schooling in grades 7-8 and 12. Honestly, I love it WAY more than public schooling. For grades 7 and 8, I was at Connections Academy and for my senior year, I was at K12. I'll be jumping around a lot, so my apologies.

For me, especially with my senior year, it was a damn blast. For orientation, we all went to some school and sat in a room with other students and their parents to fill out our schedules (the classes we wanted) and I was stunned by the options.

Aside from the general English/ British World Lit and PE class I had to take (academically speaking since I already got all the credits I needed for Math, Science and History from my former high school), I got to take damn near any class I wanted. There were at least 6-8 language classes (What I remember: German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Latin and I think there was Italian and Greek), and there were things I never thought I'd see a school offer like classes on civics, anthropology or video game design.

Senior Year:
    • * British World Lit.
      * PE
      * Anthropology
      * (2) Game Design classes [dropped out of]
      * Latin I, II (and technically III)
      * College Prep
    (^ My Anthropology teacher ran the Psychology class and invited me to take it once we had finished Anthropology for the semester, but I declined. I was going to take the Civics class, but I guess it was either a mistype or it was full)

Before things really begin, you get a call from your teachers to check up on you (I mostly remember my magister calling me to make sure I was serious and ready for things. I had gotten into the class a month into the year) and you got a visit from your home room teacher to meet for a bit. You get your teachers contact information in case anything happens and all of that (I think they were pretty chill with you friending them on Facebook once you graduated).

Senior year was awesome, since I was told by my guidance counselor that if I had opted out of the two game design classes from the get-go, I would have graduated in January. I won't complain though. I really dug getting back to cyber school because it let me work at my own pace and pretty much within my own time constraints, excluding live class sessions. If I wanted to do homework at 3am, I could have. The only difference was, to my memory, I was kind of limited in how far I could get ahead. In grade 7 or 8, I cleared a whole month of one class in an afternoon.

Also, it was great for me since we were told if our grades for a class were good enough, we didn't have to take finals. In the entire year, I only had to take the mandatory end of the year finals (no finals in the winter or spring--EVER). Plus, the atmosphere was great. It was really cool getting to interact with other students in the classroom, after when we'd chill with the teachers, after school clubs, events thrown by the staff and so on. The one thing I did miss in my senior year were debate sessions that took place once a week when I was in grade 8 I think.

The only downside was technical problems I ran into, like software errors that cost me a few weeks of school work and a laptop they gave me to work with. But things were able to be worked out. The one thing that was nerve wracking was having to speak in "front of the class" and do audio based recordings for things, such as a foreign language class. The one bitch of a thing I ran into was getting into a school.

CC said I would be a junior again because they changed things, and my parents and I were pissed about that. It took about a month of waiting (and being expelled from my old high school for "lack of attendance" *despite giving them my papers saying I was leaving*), but I got into a new place, which was a LOT better in the end. If anyone is interested in a cyber school, look into K12.

17. Shamash

Well, this kind of schooling can be fun at times, but it's rather lonely. I kind of wish I had more person-to-person interaction. I suppose I wouldn't get a boyfriend anyway, considering that my plan is to stay closeted until I move out, but some friends in-person would be nice.

By the way- the school is private.

18. musicgirl18

I've been home-schooled since the end of second grade, and it's definitely been an stressful experience for me, personally. from about 6th grade 'til, now, really, I've been begging my parents to put in actual school, but it probably won't happen. I'm in 11th grade now. Last year and this year I've actually been going to school online, which is a provocative experience. While I am part of a youth group and a co-op I often feel very isolated and pressured. My mom and I don't have a very good relationship, mainly because our personalities are very clashing.

Anyway, the reason I quoted the person above is because I feel very similar. I tend to get very lonely, and I wish I didn't have to spend all day everyday staring at a computer screen.

My third reason for not being very fond of home-schooling is probably a bit of a selfish one, I'm the oldest of four siblings, and frankly, they stress me out. They're loud, obnoxious, have no idea of personal space, and are constantly fighting and yelling at each other. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2013 at 09:15 PM ----------

I also agree with wishing I could have more friends. I really wish I knew some actual, in person, people like me. Not that you guys aren't real, but I think you understand what I mean. :slight_smile:

19. double a

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No but i wish i had been

20. apostrophied

Wow, your school sounds like it was amazing!!! I actually wanted to do K12, but as an international student, the tuition was like $7k, so that was a no-go (Keystone, which is actually owned by K12 now, was less than $2k). Sounds really dynamic and interesting, though.

As for the class selections, that's one of the things I really liked about online schooling with a good online school: there were sooo many options! Of course, with a school that has so many students, they can afford to have many different classes. Not to mention, with Keystone at least, I could start a class any time I wanted, even in the summer. That saved my a lot of time.