1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can friendships last forever?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by teluphone, Dec 11, 2013.

1. teluphone

As of recently i had a terrible falling out with one of my friends and we are no longer friends. I'm trying desperately hard to grief and quickly move on without looking back at our friendship but whenever we have to meet up for group meeting, as the group leader he treats me meanly, gives me little things to do on the project, conducts progress meetings without me etc. When i finally confront him about his bad attitude, he told me i'm just being insubordinate and lazy.....that's when a huge argument erupted again between the two of us......as it results it just brings back all the pain about our falling out and makes me feel very inadequate in making friends with anyone as i have zero friends left (even though i'm by no means anti-social) and most of the friends i do make do end up lasting not more than one year.....it makes me feel like i'm a terrible person who deserves to be alone for the rest of his life :frowning2:

So my question is.....is it ever possible for friendships to last forever in spite of all the arguements, changes etc.?

2. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah friendships can last forever I suppose until death. I never had fwends so whatever.

3. Tzoa

I think friendships can last a lifetime. Not every relationship will, and it can take a while to find the right friends that will stick around for the long haul.

4. william123

I have a friend that I've known since I was 2 years old. We were out of touch for about 10 years but then in recent years got back in communication. I hope and expect our friendship to last forever, for we are both similar. Although weeks do go by when we don't speak. I'm always relieved to talk to him after periods like that.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best friend and I have been friends, continuously, for the past 41 years...and still going strong.

I still get shivers of joy when we engage in our wonderful conversations.

How many marriages last that long?

6. Gallatin

Yup, friendships can last a lifetime. My mom and her best friend have known each other for over 40 years.

7. Hexagon

I haven't been alive long enough to produce some of these numbers. My best friend is someone I've known since I was twelve. She will be my friend until I die, I'm sure of it. With her, its a bit different from my other friends. We live in different parts of the country - at one point, in different countries. And we see each other occasionally, and she still knows me better than anyone I see every day.

8. agelos

Out Status:
    Some people
    it's surprising how many lgbtq persons have the same friendship issues with you. seems like almost no one is willing to become friends with such person. unles he/she/. . is lgbtq as well, or idk. i see it more and more often. to my girl friends, i'm out as trans , but they don't want to hear very often that i'm gay or seem to take it into consideration at all. too much for them

and it certainly sucks to be in a group with a friend you've fallen out. happens the same to me and we sit the one opposed to the other without talking, and i have to look at him and see all the stupid things he's said to me and characterisms for my personality for absolutely no reason, just because he's nervous at the time . do i have to put up with all this ? or you ? or anyone with stupid ex friends who see themselves as authorities who can command their friends what to do( and expect sth else than infuriating them huhh)

9. CTJ

CTJ

I've known my best friend for over half of my lifetime. We've had our ups and downs, mostly when we were young and stupid, but we've pretty much always been friends and i believe we always will be. You know you're meant to be friends forever when his girlfriend accepts that he loves you more than her :slight_smile:

10. TheAMan

Friendships can most certainly last a lifetime and I hope that the ones that I have with my guy and girl best friends last forever. Also, here are two Jewish proverbs for inspiration.

Whenever love depends on some selfish end, when the end passes away, the love passes away; but if it does not depend on some selfish stand, it will never pass away.

Anyone who establishes a friendship for access to power, money, or sexual relations; when these ends are not attainable, the friendship ceases.

Basically what these these two proverbs are saying is that as long as your friendship is established on selfless grounds, it will last forever.

11. timo

I've had some good friendships fade away over time cause we've grown apart, took different roads... but on that roads, I made new friends. I think it's a natural process. Or as Bradford Cox sings "hey you lose and you win some". But going separate ways doesn't mean the friendship has to end. If you're close enough, it'll work.

I do believe that friendships made later in life are more likely to last forever. I feel like it's easier to meet people with the same interests and mindset as yourself as you get older.
    I met my best friend just over three years ago and I don't ever see us parting ways. Same with other friends - while I still talk to 'old friends' every now and then, my closest friends are the ones I met in the past couple of years.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well we're all going to die someday, so they won't last forever, but most of mine have ended because we moved away.

13. Colours

I used to wonder the same up until a few months ago, but me and my best (girl) friend are so incredibly close and similar, I'm sure we'll last a lifetime. We even talked about it and we both think we will. It's the perfect friendship, really.

14. Sitri

15. tulman

I went to kindergarten with my closest friend. We went all through school together, was the best man at each other's weddings, Godfathers to each other's first born, pallbearers at each other's parents funerals. We've cared for each other's kids during vacations and vacationed together. Now we both have grand children. We were each other's first sex partners even though it was merely adolescent experimentation at the time. We've been the closest of friends for over 60 years and we treasure each other's friendship more and more as time goes on. We met for lunch recently and sat there for close to 3 hours just talking and enjoying each other's company. We hugged as we left. Yes, friendships can be life long and I hope all of you can experience the awesome warmth a deep friendship like ours brings. It's a gift.

16. Sarcastic Luck

Yup. I'm still friends with a guy that I met over twelve years ago. We don't talk every day, but we'll message each other over facebook.

Here's the fun thing about it: it's been for the most part, an online friendship.

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There was a article about this, suggesting that friendships that last 7 years will last a lifetime.
    Dr. Irene S. Levine: The Seven-Year Expiration Date on Friendships

Definitely, a large fraction of my long-time friends are people I've known since grade school. Even though I'm far away from them and only interact through Facebook, I do feel a connection.

18. teluphone

not to sound too overdramatic, i'm feeling suicidal atm :frowning2:........i would probably feel a lot better if i can just end it all so i don't have to keep feeling like this

19. Data

Data Guest

(*hug*)

Listen my friend, you should never use a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

This problem is so temporary, you won't even remember it in a few years. You had a falling out that went poorly. It happens occasionally. People have falling outs with their PARENTS who they've loved for their whole lives! I had a falling out with my mother and I moved out because I couldn't stand to be in the same room as her. We've kind of gotten over it (not totally) and I've continued to age so I deal with it in more of an adult manner.

My point is, you'll make friends, and friends will move away or stop talking to you. All you can do is expect it and not get too beaten up when it happens. It is certainly not something to consider using suicide (I realize it may be something you feel is going to push you over the edge, but still) to remedy or put an end to.

To answer the original question, yes I believe friendships can last a lifetime. I have 3 friends who I've known since 7th grade that I talk to pretty often. 1 got into drugs pretty bad and got expelled from school. I hadn't talked to him since a few months ago when we bumped into each other at the community college where I go to school. Amazingly, 7 years later we attend the same program and work in the same class. Small world. The other two have always been my best friends all through high school. Both of them have joined the military, and they regularly message me on Facebook or call to talk. One is in the Navy, the other is in the Army. If I had a say in fate, I'd want to keep them forever. They are truly great guys and I'll try to NEVER let them slip away.

20. ScatteredEarth

Believe me when I say that there are moments in life that will simply shock you.. Moments that make you think how anything like that could possibly happen.. Some of them are good, and others are bad, but it's all in chance. Some friends will last a lifetime, some wont, some will outright hate you at some point, while others, albeit not as often, will form a more intimate bond with you.

My point is, that even though life is looking grim right now, there are always positives on the horizon, and even though ending one's life gets rid of all the chances of getting screwed over by life, which believe me happens to all of us, but it also gets rid of all the good times, friends, partners, hopes, dreams, etc. etc.

I'll be your friend, and I'm sure many other people on this amazing site will be as well. Believe it or not, but just because you only know people by text on a screen, the friendship can be just as real as someone you see on a daily basis. We're always here if you need us.