1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's wrong with being queer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Hexagon

What is wrong with being queer, in the original sense? Why do some LGBT people object to its use? It means different. And we are different. Its not a bad thing. The world isn't divided into weird and normal, and I would hope the queer community would be in a position to recognise that.

I've noticed a greater proportion of queer revolutionaries use the term, for some reason.

So yes, I am Queer, in more than one sense of the word, and I'm proud of it.

2. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The word never bothered me...

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I happen to love the term but I think that's only because it made reading Alice and Wonderland that much better.

I'm queer, I'm here, and it makes queer poetry that much easier to write.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of people who don't like queer are conformists. They want to be as "normal" as possible, and try to disassociate themselves from being queer. When someone does that, I tend to have a negative view of them; internalised self-hatred doesn't do much for me, and it just makes them look moderately pathetic.

5. Hexagon

Also, I don't think we should be so upset when a heterosexual uses the term. Reclaimed words don't exactly lose their power when people get upset when the wrong people use them. We know when people are using it as an insult, and its a different matter then. But why shouldn't heterosexuals be allowed to say "the queer community"?

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Queer" without acknowledging its sexual meaning, does mean "different" but has the connotation of "weird" or "bizarre".

It's possible for the GSM community to reclaim queer as our own, but while I don't mind if others call themselves/me that, I don't personally use it.

7. DesertTortoise

Given how fucked up the 'normal' world is, being queer is an honor and a privilege.
    I do a pretty good job making sure nobody mistakes me for 'normal'... though, maybe it's my age, more likely to think 'eccentric' than gay. Even with the nail polish.

I really dislike 'gay.' It's a euphemism, adopted as a hertero-normative alternative to the ugly, clinical 'homosexual.'

I like the vibes on this thread so far.

And got no problem with hetero-normies using the word. Faggot is something else again. I have dear friends who self-identify as faggot, but that's for us who like it, not from straight people.

#7 DesertTortoise, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  8. Techno Kid

I think Queer is a great word! ^_^
    I'm not able to get into the heads of Queers who don't like it, but I am not going to force them use a word that makes them uncomfortable though...that's the beauty of free choice.
    :slight_smile:

9. Minamimoto_Fan

I personally don't mind the term, but I can see why people might not like it.

I would think people would be able to understand why somebody wouldn't like the term. It shocks me that some people downright think poorly of you if you don't like the term. If it were me personally I'd tell the people that say I was "self-hating" to shove it.

I got my ass kicked by a bunch of "Christians" and they called me queer, fag, etc. It's experiences like that that make it so that people don't like the term and to have somebody who should understand judge you is worse than people who use it in a negative manner. I'm sorta surprised the term doesn't bother me to be fair.

Like I said before, I don't mind the term, but there's so much more to me than my sexuality, thus I'm not going to really use it to describe myself. Yeah, if somebody asked me if I was, I'll say, "Hell yeah, got a problem," I just don't like labels is what I'm trying to get at I guess.

10. I am one who does NOT like it, and there is not in any way I can be considered a conformist

I am a Feminist, Vegan in a conservative meat eating agricultural community, Peace activist who lead a vigil in a conservative area, atheist, environmentalist and as lesbian I am femme who wears skirts but no makeup.

I just don't like the connotation of being bizarre

queer

queer
    [kweer] Show IPA adjective, queer·er, queer·est, verb, noun
    adjective
    1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a queer notion of justice.
    2. of a questionable nature or character; suspicious; shady: Something queer about the language of the prospectus kept investors away.
    3. not feeling physically right or well; giddy, faint, or qualmish: to feel queer.
    4. mentally unbalanced or deranged.

11. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm ok with the word queer myself. *shrug*

12. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally do not like the term queer. I do not feel that it applies to me, which is difficult with sorta being part of the GSM community.

I, however, am in a very weird situation. Yes, I am heterosexual, but I am also demisexual. I feel like I don't not belong with the hetero community because I am demi, but I also do not feel like I belong in the GSM community, because I am hetero. I do not like the term for me, because I do not like it applies, I am not a part of either community.

#12 phoenix89, Dec 12, 2013
  13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Point well taken. :lol:

14. Kreiger

Honestly? I've never trusted the letter "Q."
    It seems like a letter that barely made the cut to be in the alphabet.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have identified as queer for a long time and I vastly prefer the word to identify us collectively, and I really hate LGBT or any of the other terrible acronyms we've come up with.

16. blueberrymuffin

Think it can be from denial as much as self hate (think of all those "straight acting" gay guys) but yeah, it's best to just embrace the word. It makes no sense rushing off trying to 'fit in' when half of society thinks we can't no matter what we do, and some, even in government, do as much as possible to prevent it. The only thing that insisting we're "normal" is good for is to piss off phobics.

Of course, something like marriage is more loaded cause of the 1000+ rights that comes with it, but i have no problem with being called queer.

17. Saint Otaku

I'm a gay boy, and I do like the word. ^_^

I think the connotation only makes it better -- beauty in strong meanings!

18. MrBrightside

Call me queer and theres a strong chance ill punch you. Its used as an insult up here alot, it means strange/wrong to me, and it really riles me. Poofter isnt as bad to me, if a mate says tht ill be ok, but a stanger id be annoyed, just not as badly.

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never had anything against the work queer. For me, it's a whole lot easier to say that I am queer than it is to say that I am a asexual transgender male.

20. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep.

I'm neutral about the term "queer" being used to describe me.
    Would I call myself normal? "Normal" is somewhat arbitrary. Who is to say what is the norm, and what is not the norm? I guess I can make a list about myself and see what everyone thinks. I'm a Chinese, agnostic, libertarian, conservative, gluttonous, bisexual, (mildly) autistic, (transgender) guy, and I sound like one of those people on Hipstr Tumblr who like to make themselves look like *special snowflakes* in their profiles right now. "Queer" is a lot more comprehensible, but I'm not a fan of how the term sounds (literally, that is- it just sounds, well... queer), nor am I a fan of its fans.

That last point sounds a little bit meta if you think about it, but all I mean by that statement is that I don't want to be associated with the stereotypes surrounding the word. ("Genderfucking Fryingpansexual Transvestite Trypophobe", anyone?)

Nonconformity in and of itself isn't inherently bad (or good, for that matter)- it's when people start developing superiority complexes, being jackasses to people who prefer to follow, and do things differently for the sake of being special, even sacrificing logic and practicality where I draw the line. Social mores are not really something we need to focus on right now, since they're a non-issue- live and let live is what I say.

#20 An Gentleman, Dec 12, 2013