1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird medicine or treatment from your place?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Renge, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Renge

Now we're from different region and country.. Do you have any unusual medicine or treatment from your place or your family? :slight_smile: That's probably weird for the foreigners..
    If yes, what is it for? How do you make it and how do you use it?

In my place when someone get a cold or flu, we use a coin and an oil to rub it on their back. The coin (which is covered in oil) will be rubbed across the back until it shows a red mark. It's done repetitively on all the back's surface. The elder says its for increasing the blood flow on the skin. It's kind of creepy actually, cause the red marks look like someone just whipped you :/
    [​IMG]

It is weird, but it cures.

2. VioletXena

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Um, as a Canadian, I can't think of anything particularly "strange" in terms of remedies for illness. Vick's VapoRub does kind of creep me out, though. I used to hate it.

3. apostrophied

^ I concur. I think our remedies are pretty "normal." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Renge, where are you from lol?

4. Minamimoto_Fan

To cure the hiccups, my grandma would have me swallow a spoon of honey whilst upside down. It was a 60/40 usually not helping me out, she also liked to think using holy water would help (which is weird since she wasn't catholic)

5. musicgirl18

^^^ This is really cool! Uh, really I can't think of anything cool. Usually we just pop a couple ibuprofen when we feel bad. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't like it though 'cause it makes me feel worse.

6. apostrophied

Actually, this is not so much a remedy as a little trick, nor is it regional as far as I know, but when you get the hiccups, rub your earlobes between your thumb and index right away when it starts. It stops it more often than not if you catch it early.

Of course, I can't do it anymore since I have earrings, but before I did, it worked great for me. :slight_smile:

7. Sarcastic Luck

Lol, never heard that method curing hiccups. To be honest, I can't see how it'd work since hiccups are pretty muscle spasms of the diaphragm. I have however discovered something that works every time.

Take a deep breath and hold it. Push it down towards your stomach like you're trying to make yourself have a gut. Keep it like that till you really need to breath, then, slowly let the air out. 9/10 this will get rid of the hiccups. If you still have them, doing it again will get rid of them.

Essentially, what this does is stretch the diaphragm out.

8. Minamimoto_Fan

I also burn some incense my boyfriend bought me to help when I get headaches. I think it's really a placebo, but the soothing aroma always helps me calm down and clear my head, so it helps me relax if anything

9. English Frenchman

My end all fix all is Tea Tree Oil. There isn’t anything wound and/or illness that it can’t cure.
    Why do you think the Australian army gives out rations, like the English navy used to for Rum?

10. apostrophied

Try my trick, I swear, it's about 70% effective in my experience.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil are the best for colds.

Tea itself is a pretty good remedy for sunburn; put it on (cold) to soothe the burn.

12. apostrophied

How does one use it for a cold?

I remember using it on my acne. The smell was horrible, and the results weren't convincing enough to keep on using it (even though I bought stuff that was supposedly good quality)...

13. Sarcastic Luck

Don't need to. Mine works better lol.

14. Hexagon

Yeah, a remedy made from willow bark. It cures headaches.

15. Renge

Indonesia. Treatment that I said is actually a traditional one and people still use it. Especially the grandmas :grin:
    There's a time when my online friend (she's european) caught a cold and then her friend from Bali tried it on her. She screamed all the time :roflmao:

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That looks painful. It reminds me a bit of the practice where Finns whip one another in a sauna with birch branches. Just for fun. :lol:

It's actually really invigourating.

17. Renge

Oh and more, I don't know if it's common in another country. When you have diarrhea, we drink a really bitter tea. It helps to stop for going back and forth the toilet.

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2013 at 11:00 AM ----------

Whip one another? That sounds kinky xD

No, it's not painful. Just like something scratching on your back, that's why it needs oil. Well, it gets a bit ticklish around waist lol

18. biggayguy

Gargle with salt water to soothe a sore throat. Gargle with Listerine to cut down a cold. It has to burn in your throat a bit or it won't work.

19. Tyrael

I learned a remedy for a sore throat from an Indian guy I used to work with.

You put a couple of spoonfuls of honey in a blender, a clove of ginger, grind some black pepper into it (or a couple of whole peppercorns) then add boiling water and blend it all till the ginger is all blended into the mix. Then you pour it, let it cool a bit then drink it as quickly as you can. Tastes horrible, but it does the trick.

20. Data

Data Guest

I just eat chicken noodle soup for a cold.

For a sun burn I use aloe vera (from my back yard :grin:)

When I puke I drink Gatorade or ginger ale.