1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jobs and being LGBT.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sully, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Sully

I've just got my first job since coming out (I've been unemployed for ages and have just scored two jobs :grin:).

I'm working as a kitchen hand at one place. I feel sort of awkward, all the guys there are pretty blokey and they talk about girls and shit, I DREAD the moment they start to ask me questions about women (girlfriends etc), I don't really come across stereotypical gay, so I have no doubt that they assume I'm straight.

Has anyone else been in this sort of situation? If they ask if I have a girlfriend what is the best way to dodge the question? I don't think I really want to tell them I'm gay (although it's not really a big deal as they seem pretty nice and they're all pretty young).

At my other job I think I'll be waiting and they'll be more women working which I'll prefer as I tend to feel a bit more relaxed around women.

Also my long term career path is also going to be male dominated and quite hands on, I just feel awkward :/

2. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I'm in a group full of guys I just go:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH MAAAAAN THOSE JUGS WERE SO HUUUUGE MOOOOOO LIKE DUDE I ****** 9 GALS IN THE BACK GARDEN WHILST SWALLOWING A HEART OF A BABOON!

Seriously I would say I'm single and thats it.

3. CrimsonThunder

Just tell them that boobs feel like bags of sand, guys always agree with that statement.

And from my experience guys that work as kitchen hands are more of the feminine kind, cooking isn't a blokey thing lol.

4. method

I think avoiding it is only a temporary solution. I've used a multitude of question-dodging replies, but as you get older it's gets more implausible to do so without actually lying straight up.

"What, you're 24 and don't have a girlfriend? Come on, what are you doing?!"

5. Hexagon

If you want to be deceitful, then lie. Not one of those silly dodging answers, but a lie. It'll be easier, and they won't be suspicious.

6. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been working in construction for two years. Surrounded by blokey guys. And the subject of women comes up in conversation quite a lot. I used to always deflect the question and said I wasn't looking at the moment. But since one of the guys there outed me. They all found out, which was fine. Nothing changed. Apart from endless questions about guys and whether I'm with anyone.

7. method

I don't want to be deceitful :lol:

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I work in construction too... Often on building sites. Blokey alright.

But it never comes up for me.

I once went on a "gay hiking walk" and there was a builder there. He said he refers to his boyfriend as his "wife" when at work .. So I guess there are as many gay guys in the 'blokey workplace' as anywhere else...

:thumbsup:

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh come on, you're all missing the key phrase here!!

"I'm more of an ass man"

Everyone has a butt! You can talk about butts all day if you have to and nobody will ever know! :grin:

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. pansy

short order cooks are the greasiest, manliest people around it's pretty disgusting

I work in a kitchen too usually with this talky, racist turd of a guy (who is hilarious and i get along with really well despite that and my better judgment), we mostly just complain to each other. If this one busboy is around they start in on the girltalk but just never participating in it kind of gave them an idea i think. Sometimes he'll still rib me and ask if I think a female customer that just came in is hot or not, I tell him he's being sexist and creating an unsafe work environment as part of this running gag where he plays the comic and I'm the straight man.

You're going to be fine, you'll connect with your coworkers on some other level, it's intimidating working with a bunch of heteros, but your job shouldn't stress you out every day. Cishet guys sometimes have the capacity to make conversation outside of the women they objectify. Find other things to talk about, or focus on your work.

12. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You just got there. I think, if you plan on staying there for any amount of time, tell them you are gay if they ask about relationship stuff. It is easier than lying or question dodging and then coming out later to them. It will also probably keep them from making homophobic comments around you, that is if they are decent people. And, it's a chance for people to know you for who you are from the start of the relationship. I say just tell them if they ask.