1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I'm allowed to have my opinion"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skov, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Skov

Hey everyone!

I want some opinions on an issue. So, pretty much I'm sure we've all seen the debates over gay rights online where someone arguing against it pretty much just says, "[something homophobic and hurtful]. It's just my opinion and I'm entitled to it. LGBT people want everyone to be so accepting of them, but they can't accept my opinion." Or something along those lines. I'm very vocal about how I feel on issues that are important to me, and this just drives me nuts when people say it. I don't feel like they should be allowed to have that opinion and I will never accept or respect it. Why would I respect an opinion that dehumanizes me as a person and talks down about some "lifestyle" I live, especially when it is about something the other person literally knows nothing about? So, do you think they are "entitled to their opinion?" Also, how do you respond to these people?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I let them know that then, by that token, that I'm then allowed to disagree.

Easily said than done- that's how my mom feels about being trans.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But you can point out that the opinion is harmful, stupid, and that you have an equal right to tell them to shut up.

This line works well; "I will not respect your opinion if it disrespects my existence."

4. biggayguy

Opinions are like ass holes. Everyone has one and most of them stink.

5. Skov

That line is perfect!!! I will definitely use that.

6. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you, I have zero respect for beliefs or opinions that homosexuality is a sin, unnatural, harmful, etc. How do I respond to these people? Frankly, they're not worth my time, so I just try to ignore/avoid them and completely cut them out of my private life.

7. Tintagel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How can you expect people to accept your opinion when you don't accept theirs? We don't live in a part of the world where you're 100% socially engineered zombies. We have opinions. Everyone does. Like it or not. You cannot live in a good society while trying to keep people from voicing their opinions. If you indoctrinate people, then you are just plain evil. You just can't tell people they aren't allowed to have a certain opinion.

I can accept opinions but that doesn't mean I agree with them.

This is such a recurring theme among left winged people 'I will tell you what opinions to have and if you don't have the right opinions, you are the spawn of Satan'. This isn't the Soviet Union.

So yes, I do believe everyone is entitled to have their own opinions because we aren't a beehive.

How do I respond? It depends on the context and/or setting. I'm usually intelligent about it, providing my needed facts or if I'm in a more casual setting among familiar people, I'm a little sarcastic about it.

#7 Tintagel, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  8. My Two Wings

Being tolerant means you must tolerate my intolerance!! /homophobelogic

Poor homophobes are so oppressed. :rolle:

EDIT: And sure, they're entitled to their opinion just like anyone else. Doesn't mean I have to accept, respect, tolerate, etc. it.

#8 My Two Wings, Dec 13, 2013
  9. Jwis

I like this. I can see using this in my future.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, including myself. I view these peoples opinions as wrong, and bigoted. My lifestyle is not a choice, and the hateful words that they say are very hurtful to myself and many others. I just try not to let what these people say get under my skin. Why dwell on those that will just cause you pain?

10. starfish

I tell them, they have the right to their opinions, and I have the right to think their an idiot.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People have their right to an opinion. Others have a right to retaliate using whatever legal means necessary.

People need to rememeber that the First Amendment doesn't apply to individuals. If you say something onerous enough (like gendered, bigoted hate speech), people have a right not to associate with you, employ you, sell things to you, or rent property to you.

#11 Pret Allez, Dec 13, 2013
  12. Tintagel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's the best you can do.

It really disturbs me that people think it's okay to say that people aren't allowed to have a certain opinion.

Retaliate how?

#12 Tintagel, Dec 13, 2013
  13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

You have the right to your opinion. I have the right to tell you where to shove your opinion.

14. These together

people have a right to their opinions, but I also have the right to block yuo on facebook or just turn around and walk away if I don't like what you are saying

if a person is being a jerk I am not required to listen to what they have to say

they can spout whatever, write whatever & I have the right to keep my own opinion and feeling no being hurt and safe by just shutting them out

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like Plato's view (as described in The Republic): opinion lies between knowledge and ignorance.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People have a right to freedom of association. That comes prior to everything else. If I don't want to be around someone, I don't have to be. I don't have to sell someone something. I don't have to employ them. I don't have to rent property to them.

I can't physically assault them, but it is arguably legal to (refuse) to do the above mentioned things. Furthermore, I can advocate that others join me in my concerted non-association efforts. Hence we can also legally have boycotts, blacklisting, and so on.

Of course, in my ideal society, if someone says something that's clearly sexist* hate speech, that person just gets punched in the face.

*: Where, for the uninitated, sexism includes homophobia and transphobia.

17. RainbowMan

1000% agreed. From my point of view, you do need to respect that they have the right to hold whatever opinion it is that they have. However, the reverse also applies - they need to respect your right to hold your opinion, which may be different from theirs. If that opinion includes thinking that they are an idiot, then so be it.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think we need to take a bit of a stronger stance than that. The problem in our case is that we're dealing with people who are essentially advocating "live and let live" without any reciprocity.

19. Foxface

My beloved sister I think we might actually disagree somewhere

I'm mighty shocked. You of course know I mean what I am about to say with greatest respect

Live and let live is in a way I exist. I however choose the Wiccan Rede of "as it harms none, do what ye will"

Obviously we all know homosexuality doesn't really harm anyone. If I make love to a man in my house, nobody gets harmed. The problem is I am 100% for free speech even for fools I suffer such as those in the WBC and Stormfront and so on. Obviously I am quite against harmful actions.

So my question to you (and anyone else) is who decides what is harmful speech that requires retalition? Who decides where to draw the line? Yes what we speak as advocates for feminism and LGBT equality is progression but the problem is we have to allow churches their own opinions and ultimately let the votes decide. We've seen so many wins lately in states like Illinois and so forth and that's great but would you rather those who speak for DOMA to be silenced legally and federally? Then who is silenced next? Even LGBT equality can be made into hate speech of deemed offensive by many

I have to go with what a few others have said. It is their right to hate me and it is my right to ignore it

Yes if anyone on ANY side of the fence gets violent or disrputs my rights I am all for swift and legal action

otherwise, I will say I performed my military action for all, not just some

Foxface

20. Tintagel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Really, I think this is one of the only other opinions (as well as Foxface's) on here that I can agree with in this matter.

Why would someone go to such lengths as to boycott and blacklist someone just because they have an opinion contrary to yours? This is all reminiscent of a child throwing a fit. It's an abuse of the freedoms given to us by the countries we live in.

You know what? I think laws against hate speech are bad. Not because I like hate speech, but because I believe in freedom of speech. Freedom of speech isn't free unless it's all free.

That goes along with the idea of freedom of expression which guarantees us the right to express ourselves (opinions! :eek:slight_smile:.