1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there words that make you cringe?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Dec 15, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

I dislike many words and cringe when I hear/read them. Here are some I hate:

Homosexualist- I see more conservative websites use this and I just think they use it out of spite. A more tame version is homosexual; however, even that word takes me back to the era of the DSM-II.

Sodomites- Do you mean people who are prideful, gluttonous, lazy, and uncharitable? ("Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. Ezekiel 16:50 KJV) I thought so. So please don't use that word.

Classy- In general, if someone says something is "classy," it usually isn't.

Spiffy- I don't know why, but I hate it.

Preppy- Even though I might dress in a way people consider "preppy" I really dislike the word. I prefer "traditional" or "conservative."
    'Stache- Please don't call a moustache a 'stache.

Ethnic- I don't like this term when applied to anything that is non-mainstream or "white." Not even "white culture" is monolithic.

Squatch/Squatchy/Squatchin'
    - My sister likes the TV show "Finding Bigfoot" and I watch it with her sometimes. If I played a drinking game and took a shot every time one of the "experts" said any of those words, I'd be in the hospital for alcohol intoxication after one episode. Making "cute" terms won't raise the credibility of your show.

What words do y'all hate and why? (If y'all use any of the aforementioned words, please don't take it personally; we all have our preferences :slight_smile:)

2. Sweetie/Babe/Hun/Chick(ie) - I have a freaking name, or I am a little older go ahead and call me ma'am - when I was younger Miss was even fine though I preferred Ms.

Mrs. - womon at the rental agency KNOWS not only am I single but lesbian and she still acts as if some man actually has ownership papers on me.

any racist address (think we know all of these) will not list them if you marginalize any nationality or race I call a person out.

3. Mrtambourineman

Selfie..just no. Just please god no. Also the n word. I just dont like it. And beleiber too come to think of it.

4. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The N Word: Im not talking about the actual n word but it annoys the heck out of me when like white ladies on cnn get away with it by saying "The N Word" and it makes me think of the actual word in my mind

And any racist, homophobic etc remarks

5. AAASAS

I hate the word Anal, I hate the word Cheese, literally hate it, I used to call it cheddar because if I said cheese I wouldn't want to eat it; something about that word reminds me it is bacteria.

I hate the word cream, reminds me of bacteria again for some reason.

Almost every word I hate reminds me of bacteria, I hate the word fart, I hate when people say arse, I don't really like the word nipple.

Don't like the word yoghurt either, and I don't like yoghurt so thats most likely why.

I think Hummus makes Hummus sound gross, it is a flemy word to say.

Baba Ganoush makes it sound gross, I call my grandmothers baba and their first name, and it just reminds me of old people.

I don't like the word Burrito even though I love them, because it has been associated with bowel movements in pop culture so much that I have associated the word with it.

Basically everything I don't like has to do with foods or the human body, and is because of associating unappetizing things with them.

I forgot slang.

YOLO makes me cringe, Swag makes me cringe too, if you say swag you are lacking the very thing you are saying.

#5 AAASAS, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  6. bitchyetough

Sooooo many but I'm just going to list "gorgeous".

7. timo

Moist.

Also, yolo/swag/selfie and crap like that which should have no place in our language.

8. Sarcastic Luck

Heteronormaltive, cissexist, cishet, anything that's cis- and not attached to a chemical compound, and ma'am.

9. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Retard - one way to push my berserk button. I have a bad history with it, but I can tell when it's used in a joking way to being offensively used towards me.

10. musicgirl18

Fat. I hate the word fat, along with any other word describing over-weightness negatively, I don't even like the word over weight. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Also, words that mean idiot, or any other words to call someone a crude, hurtful, or disrespectful name. I particularly hate the word fag--t. Ugh.

11. freeskies

i'm not out to anyone yet, so words like "homo", "gay" makes me shudder...I hate to be in spotlight, so when people call me out, i sometimes quiver

12. Mzansi

Politically Correct.

13. girlonfire

"fag" pisses me off way more than normal. Before I was even questioning I had a fit if someone casually said it.

and "politically correct" -- people worry to much about racism. No, not every black person is african american....now you just sound like a stupid american :slight_smile:

14. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Deuces

Mayne

Innit Yo

Baby

15. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    'The gays'
    Faggot
    Dyke
    Retard(ed)

That's all I can think of for now...

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Religious freedom/freedom of religion

17. Data

Data Guest

Racist - so overused it's not even funny.
    Feminist - the mention of feminism makes me shut down. I will NOT have a conversation about feminism.
    Lesbian - I just say "gay" because "lesbian" sounds like a breed of fungus or something.
    African-American - people even call a black person from the UK AA. We don't say Chinese-American. I just say black and leave it at that. I'm not saying anything different from how I'd call a guy white...

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The word lesbo and dyke does

19. sparkly glasses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Comfy and cozy. Two linked words guaranteed to make me cringe each time. I'm also in full agreement with babe / hun etc. Especially when the people don't even know you. It's horrible!

20. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is when people describe certain restaurants as "authentic" yada yada. :rolle: