1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hijra Men Of The Indian Subcontinent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mzansi, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Mzansi

Hijra (South Asia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ^This is truly interesting in the presence of a well established(Albeit marginalized society) of men who have taken on and identified as women!

I've not heard of this in my entire life and find this really quite intriguing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Though their treatment in their respective societies is quite abhorrent :slight_smile:

I just felt I should share this!

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd heard the term before, but didn't exactly know what it referred to. Interesting topic, thanks! :slight_smile: I wasn't sure if I'd end up identifying as Hijra after doing research on it, but from the looks of it, I still don't. There seems to be a fairly strong link to religion, which I've denounced for the most part.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it's quite interesting that they are accepted by both Muslims and Hindus. I learned about this during my Music of South Asia course, where the professor was lesbian (not out to the class, but it was obvious from her bio) and gave a very good primer on gender/sexuality, including of course hijras. This was the first time that I had ever heard a teacher directly and fairly discuss sexuality in Oklahoma, which was nice. Interestingly, they will come to sing and dance when a boy is born at a family's house.
    BBC News | From Our Own Correspondent | The hijras' blessing

4. Mzansi

Mmm it's definitely intriguing,
    Though I am sure if we explored other cultures you'd find more examples of such sub-cultures within the Islamic world!

Thank you very much for the link!
    Me and my sister have been doing research on a "Third Gender" within Eastern Societies,
    They seem to have been MUCH more accepting than Western cultures regarding such "cultures".

I mean in China and Vietnam the whole concept of being gay was many times actively encouraged until the advent of Christian and Islamic values in the region!

I've heard Ancient Egypt also had such cultures :slight_smile:

5. freeskies

I know Hijras. I have in fact met these people, although not in a friendly or casual way, but in fear! Yes, its true that they are completely marginalized in our society. Historically they might have had a pleasant and important beginning in a Hindu society. But now, they are seen begging on streets and people feel rather comfortable when approached by a homeless person than a "hijra". That is how lowly they are treated.

I personally have a fear of them because I had an incident where they literally forced me to give them money in a public train, and threatened to strip if I refused! But let me mind you that this is my experience (coming from someone who rarely ventures outside house). There are probably genuine and kind hijras out there. But what I think is that they are stuck in the past with those awkward and weird Hindu rituals, and they should start to change their ways...

It's sad that as Hindu's we celebrate the dual gender nature of our GODS but ostracize and marginalize hijras to the point where nobody wants to employ them in any kind of normal jobs.

6. gayphdstudent

Interesting topic but note that its much deeper than it may seem in general articles etc...a very strong religious link to an event thousands of years ago in which it is believed a male incarnation of God on earth, changed to female form...this is believed to be the origin of many such groups in india.

There is an interesting book called Tritiya Prakriti, authored by a western gay Hare Krishna devotee on the topic of the 'third gender' in hinduism in case any of you are more interested. I have a kindle copy but havent read it yet...the reviews sounded quite positive.

7. Mzansi

Such interesting personal expeirence of their plight and how they're viewed in society!
    I've never met or seen anyone in this group!
    But I'm sorry to hear your experience was not a nice one :/

Thank you for this new perspective on the Hijra Men!
    I have to say it's an interesting reason to create such a caste!
    I'll have to go and get it at Exclusive Books! xD