1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a partner/boyfriend while in closet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JayR, Dec 16, 2013.

1. JayR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you think it's possible. If so, how did you guys do it?
    I'm not totally in closet, but i'm not totally out at the same time. some of my friends know about my sexuality, but the rest of the world doesn't.

2. Tic Code

I'm actually in the same predicament, so I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks xD

3. photoguy93

It seems completely possible, since people come out.... With a partner!

It just depends on what you do. If you tried online, it could work.....it just depends on how much work you want to put into it.

4. leer

it`s not happened to me but I know several people that it has happened to I know a couple that came out on the same day.

5. Siarad

To answer this I'd have to change the title to "Finding a partner/boyfriend/girlfriend while in closet" but like other members I would like to hear what people have to say. since I am still in the closet (ish) and would like to know.

6. C P

C P

I think I'd like to hear answers on this, too, being in the closet as well. I don't plan on just randomly coming out, but rather let people figure out over time(if I ever find a potential bf)...so very curious to hear what others have to say.

7. Foster

I'm kind of learning (sadly) that unless you proudly proclaim that you're gay/bi/etc. people just assume you're straight. Maybe that's not always the case, but it seems to be for me xD I guess you could meet someone online though.

But when it comes to real life, I don't actually hide the fact that I'm Bi, I say and do things all the time that hint at it (I'm not going to hide who I am just because I'm in the closet). But no one has figured it out.....not even other Bisexuals and Lesbians (or maybe they have and they just weren't interested, lol). But alas, I'm rambling.

8. alex1170

It is definitely possible, just not very likely. both my boyfriend and I are still in the closet and we have been together for 2 years. We met online and were both just looking to hook up at the time since both of us had never been with a guy sexually before either. Turns out we clicked together and accidentally fell in love. Looking back it seems super unlikely this would have happened. But it certainly is not impossible.

I have also heard that prolonged eye contact is a good way to show someone you are interested. I just never had the balls to do that.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can't be entirely in the closet if you have a partner, obviously, but you don't have to be out to everyone. It's pretty rare, and isn't the best strategy. You'd have to just 'chance' upon a partner; it's not easy to get one when most people don't know your sexuality.

10. castle walls

I found two gfs while I was in the closet. It is definitely possible. I was with the first one for five and a half years and the second one for a few months. I met them doing everyday activities.

If you go out and meet new people, you're bound to run into a person that is interested in same sex relationships at some point. Even if you aren't interested in that particular person, they could know someone that you'd be interested in

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. No matter what, you are going to have to make compromises unless you want to act completely discreet, which would just make you even more fearful and stressed out and probably kill much of the romance.

12. Satoru

It's especially harder if you have social anxiety...

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People have done this all the time, but I think it was almost easier when people did NOT depend on social media. Usually, it happens when school friends (more recommended) and work friends (less recommended) start palling around, ultimately end up in the sack, and stay together for as long as it lasts. People who get to know each other fairly well can give and receive nonverbal cues and it sort of goes from there. Usually, though, when these situations sort of stick is when people do come out. It almost makes more sense, IMO, since they have a significant other and this person has become a key part of their life.

Good luck.

14. Data

Data Guest

Yes, it's possible but pretty difficult.

Back when I wasn't ready to come out, I didn't want anyone to know that I was gay. The risk of asking someone else if they're gay or asking someone out was too great for me to accept. The risk of sneaking around and hoping nobody sees you was too great and too irritating to accept.

The fact that people come out when they eventually find a partner is telling. It does happen regularly, but I wouldn't have done it unless a guy literally fell into my lap. Then I might have considered it.

15. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It depends on what you mean by "in the closet". It sounds like you are pretty sorted about your sexuality at a personal level even if your not ready to be generally out. Thats pretty much all you need to start exploring the possibility of meeting guys who have the potential to be a boyfriend i.e. guys who are gay.

Back when I was "in the closet" but had accepted my sexuality I contacted guys through personal ads in papers like Time Out and Gay Times. I guess that kind of snail mail contact ad has been completely superseded by the internet these days, but its the same thing. I guess you just have to be more careful now because the net seems to attract so many creeps.

Anyway, I succeeded in meeting a really nice guy that way and we became boyfriends for a couple of years.

16. blm

blm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In the same predicament as above seems strange to feel so ready for a relationship with the same sex without being ready to tell the people you love most family and friends about your sexuality

17. I've got the same problem. Why is finding people so hard. :angry:

18. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not completely in but not completely out either. My ex and I just chose not to tell anybody but hey if people came and ask questions, I wouldn't lie. So it IS possible.