1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many times have you 'come out'?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Siarad, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Siarad

I ask because I 'came out' yet again today without quite realising it and it seems to happen quite a lot these days (I think it's a sort of snowball effect!).

I was entirely the closet for many, many years (about 10 from the time I could reasonably be assumed to have realised my sexuality/inclination), then I came out to one person because he kept coming on to me and I got fed up with it, then half-way came out to my brother, then a local lesbian group (who I just didn't get along with), (in the last three years) then a male old school friend who I nearly got into a relationship with till I realised my mistake, then properly to my brother, then to an agency worker colleague, (in the last year) then to my actors' group (in the last three-four months), then to others in my political party (in the last two months), then to two of my 'proper' colleagues (tonight).

It made me reflect on how many times I have actually 'come out'. I tend to consider myself still to be in the closet because I haven't told any family members other than my brother that I'm gay but it occurs to me tonight that I seem to have 'come out' many times.

So I was wondering - how often have you 'come out'?

2. Foster

Hmm, well obviously the internet knows I'm Bi. But with my real identity, I suppose I've come out twice. I came out to my sister, then a guy on social networking was hitting on me and making some rude comments so I said I was into girls. Then I blocked him :slight_smile:

So I guess not many times yet.

3. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    About 5 times to my friends and sixth time tomorrow hopefully to my semi-dad

4. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not many times. Three or four times online, once or twice off, so... I don't know. 4 times? 6? I never actually counted.

5. Hexagon

God, I don't even know. Anyone who I meet who knows me long enough finds out I'm pansexual (I say bi in non-queer circles). I don't tell everyone the first time I speak to them or anything, but it is something of a prerequisite for being my friend.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If one defines "coming out" as me telling someone I'm gay when they didn't know, then I've done it too many times to count. But to me, "coming out" isn't as simple as that. As I said in my "Life after the closet" thread, to me, telling someone I'm gay is only really "coming out" if there was an element of deception to it before, if I'd previously let them think I was straight or had just outright told them I was. So if you make that distinction, there were maybe a dozen comings out, since putting "interested in: men" on my Facebook profile knocked out most people I had to come out to.

7. sysreq

at least 50 to like 30 people

8. AlamoCity

Mom
    Uncle Eli
    Friends: David, Pat, Stephanie, Dustin, Jaime, and Stephen.
    Still have a ways to go, not really "out" in general or Facebook or "looking" to date this instant.

So eight thus far.

9. Tic Code

I hit double digits in the last month! :grin:

I am officially up to 10 people who I have come out to!

10. StillHere

I've come out to my sister alone. My whole school at once (scariest thing of my life), my dad, and also one of my best friends more personally.

So 3/4?

11. LongMayIReign

August - Best friend
    September - Mom
    October - English teacher, internet
    November - A dozen or so at Splash MIT
    December - Closest school friend, not hiding at dance
    Tomorrow? - 4 other school friends

My goal is one person or group a month. I want to be completely out by the beginning of junior year, reserve my sister and dad

12. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More than I can count, at this point, and I've been outed multiple times as well, a couple as trans (to people who thought I was a cisfemale, soo yeah, not keewl)

13. leer

this took some thinking i have told 14 people am gay .

14. Nikky DoUrden

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I maybe came out more times then I care to count as a lesbian- I'm pretty sure any and everyone who knew me for more than a month knew. I was...pretty open about it. Which is why I find it hilarious when people accuse me of having internalized homophobia concerning my gender identity- I had NO shame about liking women. And I'm a bisexual man, lol.

As trans, obviously I've had to come out to people for necessity. Professors/counselors at college, some family, most of my friends save for a few who knew me as female, etc. Transitioning isn't something you can merely sweep under the rug, people are going to obviously know what's going on if they've known you for long enough. It's certainly awkward, especially if you've got to explain what being trans means, but oddly enough, most people I've come out have been pretty accepting, if not understanding. I was expecting rejection but the only people who really have given me crap about my gender's been my own family. My friends had guessed enough about me to not be surprised about my gender, people on campus know or have probably guessed and I've never openly been harassed.

16. My Two Wings

Well, there was my initial coming out, which took care of most of the friends I hung out with and my brother. Then my parents when I showed them my pansexual t-shirt. And there have just been a few times after that where I'll casually mention my sexual orientation on FB or texting, and whatever friend that didn't know will be like "Oh, you're pansexual?" I probably still have friends who don't know, but it's not like I'm hiding it. They have just never asked.

17. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out a lot , to my family , 6 or more of my friends , some of my crushes I thought I will have a chance with one of them xD and no there wasn't any chance .
    I should stop coming out :grin: .

#17 the prince, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  18. so many times :/

19. Sitri

0, but there were four situations where I almost...

20. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I have no idea if I can recall everything, but more times than I would've liked to do so.

I've come out about being trans with all 'immediate' family (excluding paternal grandparents), all of my friends, classmates, teachers, and principal in high school, and a couple of professors in university now. Came out to boss and coworkers after coming out to family, and eventually made a post on Facebook regarding my name change to everyone. Later came out to my girlfriend's family. Coming out as trans was something necessary, so it's no wonder everyone close to me is aware of it.

As for my orientation, nobody really asks too much about it, but my friends and immediate family are aware of me being pansexual (as I don't feel the need to come out about my asexuality.) I know I'll be coming out to more eventually.