1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expressing emotions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Hexagon

How expressive are you of emotions? (I am not asking whether or not you feel them).
    Why?
    What do you do to release emotional tension?

I'm not particularly expressive. That has gotten more pronounced as I've gotten older. I'm naturally that way, but I've also come to the conclusion that I should avoid expressing negative emotions because they cause distress and stress to others.

I used to hit a punch bag, but since moving to this country, I've found that the ceilings are made of plaster, and aren't suitable for drilling into.

2. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very, but for some reason more so with negative emotions. I've ben told it's heartbreaking when I cry and terrifying when I'm mad. Omgg the blowouts I've had.

But yess I'm a very expressive and emphatic person.

3. Sarcastic Luck

Not very. I try to keep things low key which gives me the appearance of being a bit deadpan. This is especially true when people upset me. I'll try my best to hide it since it just gives people another thing to use against me. I've done this for years though.

Usually something creative. Writing or artwork. If I'm unable to do that, I sit and stew.

4. easier for me

I am female I am allowed to express, and I talk things out and I cry a lot.

sometimes I do get angry

plus I read someplace to buy a cheap set of dishes and break one every now and then so I actually did this. when I am really mad I break something :eusa_clap

also I take really long hot showers (when the freaking thing is working)

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm horrible at expressing my emotions. If I'm angry, I'll usually go on walks or something like that to try to cool down. If I cannot leave, then I'll punch my pillows or something like that. It takes a lot to get me angry though.

Other than that, the only emotion that I will express sometimes is excitement.

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I come from a very emotional family, rational though we are. So there are times when I'm on the verge of tears, sometimes more times than most of the females that I'm around. 9/10 times, I'm the loudest laugher. And there are times that are random when I'm about to cry for no reason at all. Don't ask me why, I have no clue.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I express emotion calmly or in a really extreme way. No grey areas. I'm either disdainful and eloquent about my displeasure when I'm angry, or frothing at the mouth* and incoherent. And when I'm happy, it's either a gentle smile and polite conversation or dancing around the house singing at the top of my voice.

I'm nowhere near maturity, as you can tell. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

*literally

8. Foxface

very much expressive...I don't hide my emotions because I am not ashamed of them

Foxface

9. Sitri

My emotions are only visible on the extreme ends. This can... cause problems. For example, when I ask somebody to stop because I am angry, they see me looking the same as before, think I'm joking, keep doing it, and wind up with a fork in their neck. If you see me crying (which unfortunately happens quite often) it means the world has beaten me into submission and I don't know what to do.

10. Data

Data Guest

I express happiness, anger, and anxiety very, very strongly. You can tell when I'm overjoyed, you can tell when I'm ready to rip someone's lungs out, and you can tell when I'm ready to puke from being so nervous.

I don't express love well. I haven't told someone I love them in years, including family. I just always end up getting hurt, and I feel like taking back what I said. So I no longer say it.

I don't have a very good poker face, but if I try really hard I can almost stifle things to a point where the other person is confused because my responses end up not making sense to them in the cryptic manner that I formulate them.

I am quick to boil over though. If that's my one weak point it's that someone only has to push one of my buttons once or twice before I want to kick their teeth in.

11. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I wear my heart on my sleeve. Unfortunately.

12. AlamoCity

If I'm happy, I'll show it and smile like a dork. If I'm sad, mad or serious, I have the same face and don't really show it. I try my best to not show emotion and remain stoic and even feign happiness to "put a mask on." Only my mom knows when I feign happiness or pretend I care about what someone is telling me.

That said, I do sometimes boil over with emotions, especially when I haven't had much sleep. Usually, my words will slur, I mysteriously get a somewhat noticeable and weird southern accent, and I may use expletives (or minced oaths (e.g. goshdarn it) if I can help it).

I am quick to love my family because they're awfully nice and good. However, I don't know how I would express "love" in the more romantic fashion because I haven't really ever experienced that.

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm hard to piss off, and that said, I don't show negative emotions. If you piss me off, you earned it, and I may boil over. Usually though, I'm a stuffer. I don't feel sadness (Though there are times when I ask myself, "Why don't I feel sad?"). I feel happiness and I feel joy on rare occasions.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm related to Al Gore.

"I hear you've been doing a new dance called the 'Macarena.' I thought you'd like to see the Al Gore version of the Macarena. So here goes. (stands still) Would you like to see it again?"

-Al Gore

14. Grimm

I have serious problems showing my emotions IRL; the person you'd meet out there is completely different from the person you'd talk to here. It's one of the many things I hate about myself, which just adds to everything I've got bottled up. Vicious cycle. But when I'm on this site or gaming, I'm nearly always super happy and not afraid to show it. :icon_bigg

My guitar helps. I find it's an excellent outlet.

15. MoyashiAlice

I have a tough time displaying any negative emotions and affection. I rarely cry, which for a girl is quite odd. When I do cry, it is often for only a minute or two until I force myself to stop. I never show any anger at anyone either, even if they deserve it. I tend to write out my negative feelings instead of expressing them.

On another note, I also hide any sort of affection for others. I'm not physically intimate with anyone, even going so far as to refuse hugs. I don't tell anyone I love them, not even my parents and am horrible at comforting others. Because of this, some people see me as "cold", "acting asexual" or someone who "obviously cares about work more then friendship." However, interaction with people at a base level is never bad. Just when people try to get all intimate (in terms of friendship/family) with me.

I should also mention that I have social anxiety disorder, so this may also play a part in it.

16. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm awful at expressing emotion. Usually I pretend nothing's wrong and everything works out okay. I find talking through things helps, but I will refuse to do it unless someone sits me down and forces me to talk. I don't like doing the feelings talk much. I've ended up in a few arguments because of it.

If I'm happy about something, I'll let that show, though. Sometimes to the point where I'm like a little kid in a candy shop.

17. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Like I've said in other threads, I don't wear my emotions on my sleeve. I'm really good at putting on a fake smile and pretending I'm okay, which can be a blessing or a curse. The emotion that I have the most trouble expressing is anger. I rarely get angry and when I do, it doesn't last long and I hardly express it. I only can think of one time where I "blew up", but people said I didn't sound angry, just serious. They said it was more like I was giving a "stifling speech".

18. thekillingmoon

Not very. I can be quite emotional, but I have a hard time expressing it. I don't find it easier being a female. I always worry people would think I'm weak and pathetic if I end up crying in public. I don't think I have cried in public since I was in school. I also feel very awkward about expressing affection, which seems to come naturally to most women. I'm definitely not the kind of person who always hugs people and refers to them in affectionate manner. I'd try to be better at it if I had a significant other. It makes me feel kinda silly though.

19. Satoru

I am a highly emotional person who is also very sensitive. I tend to cry when people have negative emotions toward me and am a huge pushover. I like helping people who I care about and tend to let my emotions show on my sleeve. I was brought up under the notion that boys can't cry so I have had a hard time with being emotional. Nowadays I try my best to be neutral and cover up my emotions which can lead to mix signals. I was stepped on by people who used my good nature to their advantage. I try to be less affectionate toward people to. Once I start to show emotion, I start to show my more feminine side.

20. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, not really. I bottle things up most of the time. I'm not very expressive of whatever I'm really feeling, and won't ever make a scene over something. I find it hard to be angry, which is probably why.

I don't know how well other people can read me, but there are symptoms of when I'm feeling sad. I usually go quiet and stare into the midspace, and I'm very untalkative.