1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do if you won $636 million?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Dec 17, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As has been hyped on the news the past couple days, tonight's Mega Millions jackpot is $636 million. If you won the jackpot here in Michigan, and took the lump sum, after taxes, you'd receive a check for $223,862,500. What would you do with all that money? Invest it? Save it? Help out family? Retire? Go to school?

A better question would be what would your reaction be? Anything like this?

[youtube]2lK9LNFb4NM[/youtube]

#1 AwesomGaytheist, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Knowing my luck I'd probably die, and my brother would get all the cash.

What would I do with it...visit Japan for a few months, maybe a year. By new clothes and a house. Make sure I had enough money for surgeries and things and then live off the interest!

3. I am pretty much the same - first since I never play it is not going to happen (I am a statistician that is why I don't play) but if a person bought me a ticket and I did win the shock would most likely;y kill me outright.

if I did win, I would not show any reaction immediately, I would cash it in secret and set up some sort of trust to use it legally.

then I would buy a private island just for me and my partner if I ever meet one.

4. PurpleGrey

I would believe I was dreaming, start questioning reality, and become insane. Therefore, all the money would go to keeping me in the most luxurious mental hospital until I die or get better, whichever comes first. I could totally write a book like that! I ought! I shall!!

5. Data

Data Guest

I'd pay off my mother's house and car. I'd buy a house for myself and restore my 190D to almost factory new conditon. I'd buy my sister a house (probably in CA) and a car that she wants. I'd buy my dad a house and pay off his truck. I'd pay off my mom's boyfriend's house and his minivan. I'd pay for my sister to go to college, and for myself. I don't know if my mom has student loans still, but I'd pay those too.

I'd get braces to fix my teeth. I'd have my teeth whitened. I'd get cautery tonsil crypt sealing to stop my tonsil stones from forming. I'd get liposuction to get rid of my stubborn lower stomach. That's all.

Then with what I have left, I'd save it and live comfortably till I die. I would be ecstatic just to have a house that's paid for. That's a huge deal for me. A car that's paid and a house that you own is basically home base in my mind.

6. Jwis

Besides paying off friends and family debts, charity and all that fun stuff what would I do for myself?

I would self fund my PhD work doing the research that I want to do all the time.

I would then start a non profit that would bring water treatment / wells to areas that do not have clean water. I would fund this with my winnings while still accepting donations (money goes fast!).

I would work for the rest of my life. If I didn't have to worry about money I would do charity and volunteer work.

I would also buy a large plot (1,000 acres +) of land and build a nice small house in the center of it. Put in running trails, a lap pool and a bike course so I can train for my triathlons.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're about to do the drawing. Did anyone here who's in the US buy a ticket? I sure did.

8. Jwis

I did, $5 ticket with megaplier.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Invest in steady and safe ventures; with such a sum, the profit would be enormous even at relatively low returns. I'd employ a manager of the funds with a comfortable commission, but not enough for them to be complacent in the profits.

As for the use of the money, I'd pay off all my immediate family's debts.

I'd set up a trust for my education and my brother's.

I'd have a significant perpetual donation to Médecins Sans Frontières (with that amount of money I could employ someone to manage the money so it would always be sustainable). I'd also donate to Canberran homeless shelters (some were cut recently, which was appalling; they were aimed at youth and the weak).

I'd buy a flat in Helsinki, in Paris, my own house in Canberra, and one more in Zurich.

I think I'd also like to bribe a senior (permanent) government official to give me information, just for the sake of it, and continue onto another and another until my death. And I could release it when I die, causing a delicious scandal (I'd never use it for personal gain; that's just too wrong and slightly suspicious). It'd be terrific fun.

All this would drain a significant amount, but the investments would probably be able to cover the expenditure; no more than twenty million for the properties, two hundred thousand (or more) a year for charities, and a million or so annually for the bribery. So I'd be left with around five hundred million (after twenty years of expenditure) to invest and make money off.

10. apostrophied

I'd freak out.

No but seriously, I'd pay off all my parents' debts and my student loans, buy all the things we need but can't afford, make some generous donations to worthy causes, and invest the rest and use it as I see fit over the years. I'd try to lead a normal life and keep it as my safety cushion lol.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like as much as it as I needed to pay for college, and some in a trust fund and live off the interest along with my job money, and put some into a retire fund, and donate money to LGBT charities.

12. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd retire, buy some property, build a big house on it & disappear into it LOL
    I'd also pay for my nieces college when they're old enough to go.
    And invest whatever was left

13. Gen

Gen

I was actually thinking about this before I left this morning and I'm not sure I would even want to win at this point in my life. I'm not one of those people that claims that money means nothing in your life, because although it might not birth happiness, it can obviously bring freedom and stability. I would love to have a million or two lying around to be for college expenses and such, but I wouldn't even know what to do with that much. I plan to accomplish specific things in my life, and while I would love to believe that having that receiving that much money at one time wouldn't have an effect on those things or cause me to succumb to the lethargy that is clear to come with such a blanket of wealth, I can't say with certainty that I would.

With those things considered, I think I would want to give 95% of it away. If my career turns out to be that lucrative in the future then wonderful, but I don't want that wealth lying around without having anything to attribute to. As odd as it may sound, I don't want slaving over a PhD or writing my novels in the future to turn into mere hobbies and pass-times since I could essentially just sit on my ass all day. I want those things to have serious and meaningful effects on my life. So, I'm taking the corny way out...

14. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hire an attorney and a financial adviser.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See "dream life" thread because I think that chunk of change could make it all happen.

16. Artica

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Id get my citizenship fixed for me and my family, and then maybe travel around a little bit.

17. Jwis

Well damn, looks like I have to go to work tomorrow :lol:

18. Foxface

buy my mother her dream house
    Buy my partners mother and father their respective dream houses
    Buy my dream house with a barn and horses
    Do therapy for free for those who have no insurance
    Travel a lot

Otherwise the rest of the money would be used to set up a foundation for people who want to go into therapy but can't afford school

Foxface

19. Grimm

Pay for my college, pay for my siblings and close friends college. Pay off any debt my family members have. Stick a hundred mil in a bank account or a couple, then give the rest to whatever charity I find most suitable.

20. freeskies

Live forever in NEW ZEALAND! My dream destination :slight_smile:

^after helping the needy of course...