1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ppreston9, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

I dont think he exists and i don;t think jesus was our saviour. I think there is something else guiding us.

Anyone know what this is called/share beliefs?

2. Blaz

Blaz Guest

There's quite a bit actually. What your thinking of may be similar to that of a number of people. For clarification, is that "something" goo, evil, neither good nor evil, conscious, omniscient, etc.?

3. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

I just think there is like manifest guiding us that we cant help but follow

4. Hoppip

Destiny? Fate?

I guess you could call it...

Adeitism?

I dunno. Coin your own phrase! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. LowestVocal017

The raw definition of the belief that you described defines an "alternative pathway." Christian/Catholic/Jewish doctrine are called the "traditional pathway". The 'pathways' are metaphors for the ways of getting one into a certain form of after-life utopia, like Heaven in the "traditional pathway."

Hope this helps. :wink:

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lack of belief in a god as defined by modern religion, but belief in a supreme and guiding being = deism.

7. LowestVocal017

Another words, "immoral" as defined by modern religion, but those who do believe in a
    "supreme guiding being" are defined as "moral." Am I close to what you had in mind? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Malchik89

Agnostic! Meaning i just really dont know. There might be a god, might not be a god. Religion was never really a concern for me, i just focus on living my life, making my own choices, and setting my own path. Like i believe there is a force greater than all of us out there, tying events together. But they're being a one true god im just kinda leaning towards non believing. I have more neo paegan beliefs than i do Christian xD

9. cc6log

All religions have at least one thing in common...Man made. So, what a human(s) wrote, is going to tell me whether there is or isn't an afterlife, or how to attain something for after your death... Just doesn't make logical sense in my mind... Very open ended subjective applications to life that were so vaguely written (in the cases of the ones that are down on paper) that they can be correlated to anything and everything we do. Justify any position whether it is what many may call inherently good or inherently bad.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if you believe we're predestined to follow a certain path, that's most accurately called fatalism (as in, fate-alism, not fatal-ism).

11. Beebo

You don't know religion is man made. To say this would be insulting everyone who believes in anything. ANYWAYS.

You should atleast acknowledge the possibility of religion. Because no matter what you say, it is a possibility, even if you consider it a very slim chance.

No one will criticize you for not believing in any traditional religious beliefs, but I don't think you have the knowledge to tell a world filled with religious people that you know better than they do.

12. cc6log

Who passed stories on through generations, then who put it on paper, then who took the stories and written paper and put it into practice, ever changing throughout history

So are all man made but 1, or are all not made from man at all but came from a higher being so they are all right, but how can that be because being right in one is very often wrong in another

But let's go back, you are right, it is possible. Why is it possible, because it is impossible to prove... So it is proven in ones own mind "yeah that makes sense to me" "that must be the right way" "that is complete bullshit" "etc"

You can't be politically correct all the time, their is criticism for everything and things are offensive to everyone unless we engage in a global GroupThink...

But, I digress... can I prove that it is man made, NO
    Can you prove it isn't No
    Where does this leave us, in a dogmatic circular argument where it will go no where

So sorry if I offended you, and I respect your argument but the inherent nature of religion is an argument about right and wrong and my religion is right but theirs is wrong "even if you don't say it, if you think theirs is right wouldn't it make sense to switch over from the one you have now?"

Religion has been a staple of society for human history as far back as can be recorded and surely a lot further back than that, "like the Pedra Furada cave paintings for example" ...My feeling to clarify then was that anatomically modern humans used social interaction, most likely families first, then these families probably started cooperating with other families for whatever reason "possibly mating outside of the family which would seem to be learned at some point for the species" then these tribes at some point and time probably after learning to grow cereal crops "tid bit of Diamonds- Guns, Germs, Steel type argument" grew excess but how do you protect your excess food? Come together into a larger group possibly a city or even larger states which then field some sort of governing body and some sort of army for protection for outsiders. So at this point there is a larger dichotomy created between people because people the people at the low end need to pass up the ladder to pay for the things that are needed in large groups like the governing body and an army for protection against others...So how do you keep the people who pass up the ladder happy... "how Marxist of me" [Religion] This seems like the likely birth to me of our current soteriological religions...be happy to have less as others up the ladder have more as there is more for you outside of this life... "don't forget we are way before the young-ins like Christianity and Islam here" just setting the stage

I tried to sum up the argument the best I could but their other tangents I left out...Is it right...For me it just might be... that is what i'm getting at here...

One last thing religion is not all bad and I would never argue that... For example religion helps people with not only our mortality but the mortality of loved ones, but in a day and age where I can find my own information and make my own thoughts in line with things that make sense to me,(Does A +B=C if we can't know A and B for sure? or can A and B be found in the plethora of possibilities at all? or do we just give up and accept C?) It all becomes subjective and I stick with the religion was man made----and at the very very least the bureaucracy of it was man made.

I understand this will be offensive to many, at least illogical to the rest "illogical to the offended of course", but is this place is a site about what you truly think and feel about things...Here it is ladies and gents and I am FINALLY DONE WITH THIS POST thank god, right???

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there's some sort of power controlling the world. I don't think the universe happened by accident. But I don't see that power as being in the form of the Christian God, or any other religion's higher power. I guess that's sort of similar, in a way, to what you feel, and I call myself agnostic.

14. LOVEjames

I believe in a Cosmic Force. :slight_smile: It's just some conscious thing up in the sky that, from time to time, interferes with out lives and nudges us in the right direction. So it's pretty much sortakinda what you believe in. <3

15. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hello!

I'm not very religious, but I believe wholeheartedly in God. Not what Christians or other religious typically believe in a God who condemns you into a hot boiling pot of turnip soup if you don't follow each and every rule, but in the omnipresent, ever-loving God. I also completely believe in reincarnation, which you would find in Buddhism or Hinduism. Odd, isn't it?

It sorta bugs me when people don't believe in God because of religion. You can believe in whatever the heck you want and not follow a religion. My spirituality is the sum of many parts of many religions. I don't have a religion, I'm more of a spiritual type of person.

Also, I believe that many religions are right in leading you into the path of God, but when they say "this is the only way" they are not right. You can be Catholic, Buddhist, etc. or not even have a religion. Whatever you want =)

I hope I didn't say anything offensive and of course, this is my own opinion =)

16. sexyalex

lets put it this way ...preston! :dry:

you don't beleive in God right? but you beleive that there is something guiding you...
    give that "thing" a name. For some of us, we just calll that thing God. It's not someone we know, or someone we can talk to over the internet, or the phone or anything. He is someone we believe in. So if u don't beelive in God, worship what u beleive in. Give it a name, and beleive in it and do whatever it is u do to pay reverence and thanks to what u beleive in. Ether way i am sure if u live a healty and peaceful life u will go to heaven...
    ...or wherever we go when we die :dry:

:lol:

17. LOVEjames

My thing about the Christian God, and I'm not trying to insult anyone that is a Christian and everything, is that they feel like they owe everything to God. Like, if they get an A on a test or something, they're like, "Thank God" - and not in the joking way. I couldn't follow Christianity because it just seemed so much like a cult in that way. Maybe it's just the churches around my area, but that's just how it looked to me.

Personally, I don't pay reverence to what I believe in because I don't think that it created humans. I think that how/whenever the Earth got here, it got here and has guided things since. When I meditate, I count off the number of things that I'm grateful for, and the first thing I'm always grateful for is that I found a spirituality. <3 Because it's the greatest thing I've discovered in my life.

18. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I went to the movies once and while I was waiting for my friend to get there, this religious preacher guy randomly came up to me and started talking about God. He kept repeating the same things over and over. I was like okay but then he started saying "and that's the only way" and I'm like heck no! Eventually, my friend came and made him leave. But before he left, he gave me his little booklet thingy and a free admission to a theatrical play: "Into the Eyes of Luke." At first I was like "What is this, Jesus Christ Superstar?" :confused: Haha yeahh...

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I am basically agnostic. I don't really believe there is a force guiding us out there.