1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I saw a gay couple in public!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Dec 18, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

May sound odd but I've only ever seen in public about 3-4 gay couples that you could tell are "a couple" (and I live in a large, metropolitan city that's a bit liberal). So I was very excited when I saw a couple in Target. I was with my 13yo sister, so I kinda had to move away with her so she didn't see the couple (I'm not out to her and I still have issues with her being exposed to "gay stuff"). But as I turned around, it was really cute because one guy grabbed the other guy's elbow.

Anyways, do y'all see gay couples frequently?

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Even though I'm in NorCal, I haven't seen one. In fact, I don't think any of my LGBT friends have seen one in public. But... my GSA's club president has 2 dads. That's all I know.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The ones that stand out in my mind were two guys holding hands in PetSmart. They were probably mid-20's and both of them were so cute. I was jealous and happy for them at the same time. <3

4. Zac

Zac

I'm in a small town but I often see gay couples

5. Xochipilli

Aww, gay male couple! I haven't seen guys who are obviously together. I have seen many female couples though.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen a few, and most of them were in Kalamazoo, a bigger city than the town of 6,000 I grew up in.

7. MoyashiAlice

I think I have seen four in my lifetime. It is hard to tell, but a few set off my gaydar.

Once was two girls just outside Wonderland where my family and me were having a picnic. They were running around and laughing, chasing one another. Then one landed on top of the other and they pressed their foreheads together. The girl on top pulled on the other girls bra straps and then released them so it made a sound. Then they got up and walked away holding hands. It was cute looking back on it, but at the time I was blushing like crazy because my whole family was there and watching like me. :icon_redf

The second was when I was on vacation. I happened to look out the window and these four boys were packing up their car. My brother, who is constantly trying to embarrass me about guys, was like "Your like one of them don't you?" While I was telling him I didn't and was just looking out the window my Mom stated that I won't have any luck with them anyway because they were gay. My brother looked surprised and asked how she knew. My mom said they two of the guys kept putting their arms around one another. My brother said that didn't necessarily mean they were gay to which my mom replied, "One of them kept touching the other guy's butt as well." Basically concluded that conversation. :grin:

Finally, I saw two obvious pairs of lesbians while working at the mall. I wanted to give them a thumbs up or show some sign of support but couldn't with so many people around.:lol:

8. biggayguy

I see many lesbian couples. Male couples are harder to see unless you're at the club or MCC church. Of course gay couples abound during pride week. It's like you have to be on the secret gay network here to meet gay couples. They aren't hidden but they don't advertise either.

9. AlamoCity

It's hard to tell with lesbian couples because in our society, two girls holding hands can mean anything or everything; two guys holding hands is a whole other issue (unless they come from a culture where that is halal).

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. And I live in a liberal urban area.

I see more women who may be a lesbian couple but are not displaying the couple-like behavior you describe.

I see fewer men who may be couples, but I see more PDA among the men, for some reason.

I think a lot of people I see who appear to be coupled are really currently doing the "love the one you're with" thing. What I see are large networks of friends more so than networks of couples, but I'm not exactly plugged in.

11. oh yeah

first of all, I have lived in Los Angeles (hung out in West Hollywood) and then even in the last city and my current city I have friends who are couples. Both genders - Plus I have attended pride. (several)

it happens even at bus stops and stuff here. More with the younger generation, but certain activists tend to do it.

Must be a coastal thing.

12. biggayguy

I knew these couples were lesbian from seeing them at gay pride and the GSA, There were also couples making out in the park.

13. Hexagon

I see them most days. Out in the street or in supermarkets.

14. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hardly see them anywhere besides my school. If it weren't for my friends, I wouldn't even know these two lesbians who walk together all the time in the halls were a couple. Frankly, if I ever did see a gay couple in public, I wasn't able to tell and therefore didn't remember.

15. PurpleGrey

Even when I lived in an extremely left-wing area, I never really saw any same-sex couples, even though many kids at school claimed to be bisexual. Now, where I currently am, I still don't see many, just once when I noticed what may have been a lesbian couple, but I wasn't sure. I have no gaydar. :frowning2:

I can only tell if someone's gay if it's obvious. Even if it seems obvious to others, a girl could just be butch/stud and straight. This is why I'm single! ;(

16. AKTodd

Not counting Pride or other specific LGBT related events, I've seen two obvious male couples (they were holding hands), one in what passes for Norfolk's 'gaybourhood' and one in a local mall. In this part of the country this is surprising.

Todd

17. Jwis

I live in a smaller University town. We have an interesting mix of liberal and hick. Even so I see a gay couples often enough. I was at a hockey game the other day and saw two couples that made me super jeleous! To be honest I never noticed lesbian couples... I'm sure I've seen them though.

Now that I'm mostly out of the closet I just need to find a boyfriend!

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When i saw two lesbian couples in public I felt so happy i was thinking it's nice to see some one like me walking around town and that i am not alone . I also thought that's how i would like to be in the future with my girlfriend .:icon_bigg:eusa_pray:redface:

19. Renge

Nope. Not even one. Huhuu:frowning2:

20. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A wild gay couple appears!

I haven't seen many, though the most recent time was awkwardly with my parents waiting at the airport. There was this lesbian couple, two quite pretty young women, getting coffee across from us. I thought it was sweet, but I'm sure my dad was nonplussed.

Also, one of my music professors was lesbian but not very obvious in her class (besides teaching us about gender in music). I felt sad that when some of the students visited her home for a dinner and movie about our music subject, her partner "conveniently" had to go visit some friend (I know this because when I was leaving, I saw her partner sitting in the car outside). I didn't know if she did this because she thought I (being the only guy) or other students might have been uncomfortable. Later on, I saw her and her partner and several other women at a local art festival (there was definitely a high percentage of LGBT people at the event), and I just said hi to her.

#20 resu, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013