1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People You Still Have To Come Out To

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainbow Girl, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Rainbow Girl

I thought this would be interesting/fun discussion which is why I put it under "Chit Chat" instead to "Coming Out Advice". So how many people do still have to come out to? I don't mean how far you are from being entirely out, I mean people you think need/deserve to know or you just want to tell them.

For me I still have to come out to my parents, at least four or five more friends, my family doctor and my therapist. In terms of extended family, I've already told one of my cousins on my Dad's side of the family but I still have to tell my other cousin on that side (and I guess his fiancée), plus my aunt uncle and grandma plus I'd really like to tell one of my Dad's cousin who I'm very close with. I'll tell the rest of my extended family eventually but those people are my priority to start (my Mom's extended family isn't a priority because I don't see them often). I also want to tell at least two of my Pathfinder leaders, most of my parents close friends (I like to think of them as my friends too) and maybe some of my friend's parents. So I guess I still have a ways to go.

What about you guys?

2. I have relatives my parents have asked me to never see who don't know, they probably won't ever know. My grand parents died quite a while ago also my step-grand parents. An the last of my Aunt and uncles have also. I don't even know who my real father is.

When the relatives who died did go, I was asked not to attend the funerals by my parents, and I have been dis-invited from their home and other events by them.

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As far as people that need to know, I don't think anyone further needs to know. There are some people I would very much like for them to know. But as for a need to know basis, no one else needs to know.

4. StillHere

Grandparents, aunt, uncle. Ugh.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still have to come out to my hometown workplace. They still think that I am a gay woman..

6. StillHere

That's when you know your doing a good job! XD

7. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only family I am out to is my sister, and dad, but I am not sure that my dad understands. I am out to some of my friends, some of the Res hall staff, and some of the people from church at school, not many though, and majority of PRIDE, I sorta outed myself in the middle of a facebook argument on the PRIDE page, oops.

There is no one in my hometown, besides my sister and Dad that have any idea, and I don't plan on tell too many of them. They won't understand.

8. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, that was shitty of them. They'll regret it in the end, but I'm sorry that you have to deal with that.

As for me, I'm not really out per se to most of my extended family. What I mean is that I've only every spoken the words "I'm gay" to my paternal aunt and have told that to no one on my mother's side. That being said, I don't hide my relationship with my parent. Although my paternal grandma always refers to him as my "friend" but I think she gets it as he's been with us for Thanksgiving and last Christmas. Also, I don't think many straight guy "besties" would move out of state with each other.

I don't know, but I imagine my mom is very DADT with her relatives. My maternal aunt knows, but only because my partner and I showed up together to visit my mom in the hospital while she was there. I didn't introduce him as my partner, but given the amount of shade she threw I think she figured we were more than drinking buddies lol. Her family is super "fire and brimstone" religious.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

As of right now, I'm out to most of my friends (barring a few exceptions), immediate family.

Still need to come out to my extended family and formerly come out to the people my mom outed me to. Extended family's pretty liberal so the only person I'm really worried about is my great-grandmother. I don't think she'd really have anything against it but I don't think coming out as male would have any use- she's fading.

My biological father and a whole swathe of family I haven't heard from since he left- probably will make it known should he decide to resume contact. Now that side of the family, they're pretty conservative/religious. Had a gay uncle on that side who almost got tossed out when he came out of the closet with his partner, or so the story goes. But they left me for no good reason- I can stand to lose them

Lot of old friends I'm still not out to. Not close friends but when I come out to the world, obviously they'll find out.

Like, coming out as trans and transitioning? It's a far different beast than it was when I came out as gay. Liking girls? No one has to know if you don't want to. You're on HRT and getting top surgery? Everyone figures it out.

10. biggayguy

I have some very homophobic relatives in Oklahoma. They would know if they look at Facebook at all. My wealthy doctor cousin went to Oral Roberts University. I doubt if he mentions me in his will.

11. RoguesWolfe

Family..and some friends. But knowing me..I'll just never go through with surgery and such...or if I do..I'd most likely live a double life. My mom understands for my partner...but I don't think she would with me.

12. matty13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Randy, in the sense that I have told all the important people, I tell people only if I think they need to know. However, there are some close friends that I have still to tell, I just haven't seen them in a few months! - I've been busy.

There is another discussion, which may be relevant, which is the people you haven't told but will eventually find out! - I have extended but close family who don't know but will definitely find out sooner or later.

13. BlueLines

I still have my entire family to come out to, so that is really nerve racking, not sure when I will though. It won't happen until much later on, as most of my extended and immediate family is very homophobic....

14. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need to come out to my parents. After that I don't really care if any of the rest of the family knows. I need to come out at work, but that can wait until they might see any physical changes. And I need to come out to one of my friends, because we hang out a lot and she ought to know by now.

15. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    mate, i dont "have" to tell anybody and i wont if i dont want to :slight_smile: i am my own rule maker. i have told 4 of my friends and 1 of my enemies and there is no one else i want to tell. have a good day :slight_smile:

16. AlamoCity

Father, cousins, uncles and aunts, maternal grandparents who probably don't know what gay is (live in isolated rural town population 100) and any Facebook friends I haven't seen in a few years.

17. Foster

I still have to come out to my parents (not doing that anytime soon), my other sister, and my best friend (Might be coming out to her tomorrow, woo!). :grin:

18. Hexagon

In regards to my sexuality, I'm out to everyone I know. In regards to my gender, I'm out to as many people as I want to know. Which is as few as possible. Other than my parents, and this irritating doctor, no one.

19. apostrophied

The ones I "have" to come out to? Or the ones I haven't come out to? Big difference there. :wink:

In order of priority:

Most of my friends

My mom and my dad, too, I guess

Extended family (I can't really imagine a more awkward scene, to be honest...)

Blahhhh.

20. Dented

All of my family and the majority of people who know me.