1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are we attracted to same sex people who look like the opposite sex?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Starry Eyes, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

I've always heard this question raised. Why is a gay man interested in feminine men, or why is a lesbian woman interested in masculine women? Why wouldn't they just be straight then? Liking feminine men myself I'm actually curious about the answer to this. I know it is not always the case that gay people like same sex with opposite sex characteristics, but I would like to know if there are any studies about this.

2. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i see your point but it can all be explained by science.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because your body doesn't dictate your personality and actions. I like all sorts of different qualities in people, but I know I'm not especially keen on vaginas, so if I just liked the feminine aspects of a woman and not the actual womanly parts of a woman, it stands to reason I would look for the same in a man.

4. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I would love to know this! I often see a girl dressed really feminine and I think wow she would be so cute if she was a man, Crazy!!

5. My Two Wings

For me personally, it's because breaking gender roles is sexy. Masculine women and feminine men go against what is expected of our genders that it becomes kind of a turn-on. This is just sexual attraction, of course. I don't have much of a preference romantically.

6. DrkRayne

Actually...I want to know the answer to this. As a woman who is attracted to feminine women...I want to know the answer to this regarding women who are attracted to more masculine dressed/acting women.

7. kem

kem

I haven't been interested in many feminine men because most I've met have had unpleasant personalities, but I probably don't have any preference either way. Androgynous model Andrej Pejić is one of the hottest men I know, but I really, really like masculine men – as in tall, muscular and rough.

#7 kem, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  8. Ruthven

She prefers female pronouns so...

ANDREJ PEJIC | La Monda

9. AlamoCity

I think we just have different preferences. Some straight guys like very feminine women and some like women who can get dirty with them and go outdoors with them, for instance.

I prefer masculine men (or center-masculine, if you can call it that) and am personally not particularly feminine.

#9 AlamoCity, Dec 20, 2013
  10. Foster

I'm not sure, because I'm not really like that. I'm not attracted to the "manly" look, so I'm not attracted to girls that look like guys. Just my preference.

11. I can take a stab as one who has dated around a bit

I date all womyn, femme and butch

I pretty much just like anyone who is not male. there is a difference. if she actually decides to transition and is male I would have to stop dating because at that point the person is a man - I have known people who were Bi gender and while they were great as people we never could have dated due to us just rubbing each other the wrong way too often - I just don't seem to get along with men - this is why I don't date men.

so the idea is just because a female dresses/cut her hair a certain way does not make her any less of a womon.

12. freeskies

I'm not sure, although i haven't personally had any relationship with either feminine or masculine gays, I seem to be attracted to masculine guys who can sweep me off my feet :slight_smile:

But i think everyone of us has different preferences, which can be either through sexual attraction or non-sexual attraction (like personality/qualities). Science can prove it i suppose...

13. Ruthven

Exactly. :slight_smile: And of course for dudes too.

Yeah this too. Like it's all it really is. I don't know we always have to have reasons to be attracted to certain gender(s) and the types or whatever within that. Like some other people, I see it all just like liking something like (wow three likes so close together lol) ice cream or a genre of music, and then within those two things it's the type/flavour of ice cream you like and what artists you like.

14. CrimsonThunder

I like my women feminine and my men masculine, so "we" aren't all like that. Also it's a thing called preference and taste, everyone's is different.

15. Hexagon

Because androgyny is awesome.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are probably thousands of different answers to this question, but for me, it involves a balance, being on the softer, more feminine side. A lot of women would fall under the slightly masculine or tomboyish category, but for a man with similar traits, he might be considered more center of the line and typical.

I couldn't tell you exactly why I'm attracted to gender-non conforming people, other than it's easier to relate to them on several levels, and I find their expression a lot more interesting than your average manly man or girly girl. The fact that they don't really give a toss for what society dictates is also pretty damn awesome and a turn on, more than anything else.

For some people, it's the genitals... for me, expression and personality seem to play a larger role.

Also this. :lol:

17. kem

kem

Oh, didn't know that. That's cool. I'll change my view on her to "one of the hottest persons I know", now on the list of both men and women. I wish I could pull off the androgynous look as well as she...

#17 kem, Dec 20, 2013
  18. WindSong

WindSong Guest

Are we? It's possible that some people have a certain type of presentation that they feel more drawn towards, but there are many as well who are attracted to personality independent of whether it is mostly feminine or masculine. I don't know the studies on this either, but my own experience tells me that this generalization may not be as general as depicted on popular media.

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2013 at 04:19 PM ----------

Same here...

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not attracted to feminine guys at all.

20. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could same the same for straight people who go for 'laddettes' (as they called them in the 90s) or those skinny emo boys with floppy hair, why aren't they just gay?

I wonder this myself though. I fancy women who look a bit mannish, but if I saw a man who looked exactly the same I wouldn't find it attractive, which I can't get my head round. I think it's like someone said above, there's something sexy about androgeny.