1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT and in Jail/Prison

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

No I am not going there, but I am wondering what its like to be LGBT and locked up. I have heard horror stories from the US, and that the UK ones are far safer but is it true or just hollywood.

2. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Apparently you get raped in US prisons. That's all I know.

3. I have only been in Jail, it was for less than a month for a DUI (could not afford the bail) and I had not been drinking I had a medical condition that was unmedicated which caused me to hallucinate so they pulled me over and I was arrested and pout on trial with the hallucinations occurring.

it was an incredibly awful experience, I received no real abuse from any other people who were locked up. We were transported co-ed, but separated during lock-up. I was actually not that bad except for the fact that the whole thing should have been a hospitalization and not a criminal experience.

one black mark on the system, "being sick while poor" is illegal obviously.

but no rape occurred, no beatings, the food was not good but at least it kept me alive. one day during lockup I did have to go hungry though I remember that.

4. Hexagon

I think its worst for trans women by far. But I am pretty terrified of going to prison myself.

5. Beware Of You

I could imagine, well I can't but I have an idea.

If me and one of my trans friends were caught doing something illegal I would actually confess to everything and say she had nothing to do with it to save her from such a fate. I have read about gay inmates and they seemed to do OK in UK jails but trans inmates get Hell since the prison system still doesn't know what to do with them.

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2013 at 01:24 PM ----------

*hugs*

Crikey, thats horrible. Being a pilot I am terrified of failing the random breathalyser tests since the limit is so low you can be over the morning after a couple of pints.

6. Richie.

I think the media tries to scare us into believing lots of things. Whilst gay rape happens it's probably not something one should worry about.

Just abide the law and you won't ever need worry.

7. Hexagon

You would be an amazing friend (*hug*)

8. I don't think you noticed my post did you - there are TONS of unjustly imprisoned people in MY nation, I did not even check where you are from before doing this , but I am certain there are everywhere. even wherever you are.The "justice" system does not care about doing what is right, they make money shoveling people into it, and that is all they care about, if you even blink wrong around the wrong person, or if someone is bored and you \are not rich enough to buy your way out, you are in wherever they want. Following laws does not help you, and even if you try as hard as you can, you are still going to mess up, there are millions of regulations and laws I bet you don't know all of them, I am sure you mess up either unknowingly or even knowingly several times a day.

9. Beware Of You

My friend got arrested and spent 2 days in a police cell since his house-mate grew drugs without anyone else noticing. They arrest everyone in the place

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is some truth to what you say because private prisons are up and coming now, but I guarantee the people who do the arresting have little to do with it. I've met a fair amount of cops/deputies/etc. lately and they genuinely want to serve the public. Sometimes it's by putting people in jail; other times it's by ignoring violations that are objectively idiotic. For instance, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to shower naked in Florida. But will anyone get busted for it? No. :grin:

11. Hexagon

What??? What are people supposed to shower in, a wedding dress?

12. I am sorry - I have received massive abuse at the hands of officers

on said he wanted to execute myself and my partner merely because she didn't get up and salute him

even though she was naked under a blanket, AND she had 3 crushed vertebrae - he was aware of this fact

I was also lagued at for geing raped and my rape was never investigated

when my other partner was beating me they just turned a blind eye

the officers are an integral part of this system that runs people in and makes a profit

13. Simple Thoughts

Everyone apparently gets raped in U.S. prison. There is no discrimination for prison rape, everyone's fair game or so say the rumors.

What would really suck is being stuck in a crap hole like Russia.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, very sorry to hear that. :frowning2: That's just the kind of stuff they warn us about almost daily in the academy. The instructors there are well aware of the ghastly things some police do and make it their mission to train officers who are worthy of respect. I hope someday soon everything you said will be recognized more widely for how heartbreaking it is. Those guys should be the ones in jail.

15. Beware Of You

The US is absurdly harsh on punishments, I am not going to beat around the bush I have done stuff like cannabis because I like it, nobody gets hurt, in the UK it just gets confiscated, in the US I would be arrested, taken to jail, put on front of a judge and in the states that have 3 strikes I could theoretically be sent to prison for a long long time for doing something that is pretty much harmless