1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Gay Community Sign ???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nikky DoUrden, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Nikky DoUrden

Hey all (and welcome to my first thread) !
    I was just wondering if there is some sign that LGBT have and no straight knows about, to identify each other without people knowing, like a secret sign with the hands or something :smilewave
    And if not I think we should pick one! :grin:

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there's a specific sign, but I know that some gay people wear rings on their right middle finger to show they are gay.

3. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I pull my jeans down to expose my buttocks to another man. Helps to identify who is gay.

4. AlamoCity

If I recall correctly, there were some handkerchiefs gay men would wear on their back pockets way back when (i.e. before I was born) to signal they were gay.

Nowadays, I suppose the closest thing is wearing something from the Human Rights Campaign with their logo.

This is as close to a "signal" I can think of that "only" gay people would know, although with the recent Facebook campaign, I think the cat is out of the bag haha. Or maybe the pink triangle sign, appropriated from the badge gays were assigned in Nazi concentration camps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ Looks like an equal sign my maths teacher used to use on the board....

6. The thing with the HRC sticker is it is innocuous enough that a whole heck of a lot of allies that I know of have it on their cars also, so you can't trust it to out a person as a real LGBT unless you are also including allies in the group.

I don't know of any perfect "gaydar", when I was much younger there were different "hankie codes" or you would if male wear and earring in the "incorrect" ear - and which ear it was depended on which side of the pond you were on - I think actually it relates to which side of the road we drive on and you wear it on the opposite side of the side you drive on to indicate you are gay.

also pretty much for lesbians at the time wearing a thumb ring was a type of indicator.

none of these are foolproof as anyone can do them by mistake, just as speech patters or vocal range does not work.

Really the only way to know for sure if anyone is "in the club" is for them to tell you their orientation. Openness and honesty is the only way to really know anything about anyone.

and getting acceptance of everyone being their real and true self world wide is the best thing we can do.

7. Data

Data Guest

I always thought if someone tickled your palm with their middle finger when you shook hands, it meant he is gay and interested in you or sex with you. Not too private now, but what is?

No real secret handshake though. Hahaha