1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are some hobbies y'all have or would like to have?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Dec 21, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

What are some hobbies y'all have or would like to have? Would love to see the diversity in our LGBT community.

I personally collect turn of the century (19th-20th) silverware pieces with the goal of having a full service for 12 with every possible implement made in the pattern and every serving piece I can find. Will probably take me decades to finish. I think I like it because a sit-down meal is probably one of the last vestiges we have of the idealized Norman Rockwellesque/Currier and Ives epoch that may be a figment of our collective social identity but many of us seem to strive for.

In the future I'd like to hunt and have stuffed as many North American game species as my wallet and time permit me in my lifetime (some tags are very hard to get); just the head as a trophy and the pelt would be preserved, not the whole body. The same for fish, but I wouldn't get them mounted. This also serves as a nice way to tour the country's ecosystems. (Meat would never be discarded, in case you're wondering). (I also hope that this isn't a turnoff if I happen to fall in love with a vegan or vegetarian)

#1 AlamoCity, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

I actually collect and play Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. My absolute favorite is the Dark Magician, I have two of his foot tall figures and a giant version of his card.

Here's what the Dark Magician figures look like: http://www.kirinhobby.com/shop/images/TY8/TYKT05403_01.jpg

P.S. The game stuffing might be a turn off to the vegan/vegetarian, I would know. :wink:
    But love conquers all my friend. :grin:

3. AlamoCity

Haha my two best friends collect Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. I never got into it but have gone with them to a comic book shop/tournament meetup place and have seen the gameplay. Never really got into it but looks interesting. Also, I got the vibe that a greater than average percent of those guys are gay, for some reason.

4. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I still have a tin of yu-gi-oh cards and a huge box of beyblades somewhere. The only remains of my childhood I have left. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My only hobbies are drawing (rarely) and listening to music.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

As of right now, I mainly write. Teaching myself how to play acoustic guitar and hopefully, my sisters will be kind enough to lend me a chance on the drums they'll be getting for Christmas... I know my shit in the kitchen, extended family knows who to go to for fresh bread. Would like to know how to draw, do woodwork, programming...

6. part one - I am not even a militant Vegan, I let people know I am so they know why I don't eat the same as they do, or why I can't eat what they are eating at a party or why I bring my own food to things - but I never preach until asked why I do what I do (and I still get flamed)

but for me - hunting, fishing whatever, you kill an animal - this is a deal killer in dating me. same as smoking I don't date anyone who will do this. Let alone get into a relationship.

and you are speaking to a person who if there were an apocalypse - I could make traps, weapons and hunt down and kill and prepare what I need to survive - unlike virtually everyone who eats meat on a daily basis.

my desired hobbies -
    travel would be nice, don't get out enough, will be going to college soon if I finish and get a decent job maybe in vacations I can travel

gardening - always loved this but I live in a city now.

I like to observe people

7. Hexagon

Yeah, the hunting would be a massive turn off. Sorry.

I write, draw occasionally. I'd like to grow my own food, but like givepeaceachanc, I live in a city, and have no garden.

8. AlamoCity

9. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Would like to have:

*Saving money for future purposes.
    *Draw everything without having references just pure imagination
    *To finally read and finish it within the day.
    *Surfing
    *Hiking
    *Learn to play one instrument
    *Write a book (this is more like a wish than hobbies)

Hobbies I do have:

*Drawing portraits
    *Running
    *Reading
    *Watching anything I could find in the internet.

10. kem

kem

I'm a vegan too, but I'm fine with fishing and hunting as long as it's done in moderation. Hunting in Finland is important for keeping the ecosystem in balance; we made the mistake of overhunting the natural predators of moose, so their populations need to be managed by man. Game should be utilised as well as possible, and no profit from the animal should be made. Fish are an excellent source of protein, small-scale fishing hardly affects the natural equilibrium. I'm not saying I could bring myself to eat animals, but I'm fine with it ideologically.
    Taxidermy though is hideous and awful and it turns me off and makes me sick. We had to go to a zoological museum and draw animals that were stuffed and mounted like trophies. I felt bad. To each their own though and if that's what you like, cool.

Hobbies I have:
    Drawing
    Painting (hoping to do this full time one day)
    Exercise
    (Yoga)
    Visiting museums
    Photography

Hobbies I'd like to have:
    Hiking
    Yoga
    Running (I used to run close to 30km a week but that was over a year ago :frowning2: )

#10 kem, Dec 21, 2013
  11. Richie.

Cycling and technology

12. Alpha78

Out Status:
    A few people
    Playing/practicing soccer, learning about random technology, coding:thumbsup:

#13 GivePeaceAChanc, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
  14. HighQualityLog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Astronomy is something I've been interested in lately...I'm starting to get into it. i been particular interested in the planet Uranus. It's an eerie and mysterious planet out there...

15. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I eat, sleep, and breathe sports. My "me time" is going to all my school's football and basketball games, and I watch all the time on TV.

I love cooking, trying different foods and drinks, traveling, looking at different places on Google Maps, and playing Scrabble.

16. Awkward Balloon

I am very interested in languages and frequently learn and practice mine online.

I'm also into PS3 and playing Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and spend too much time at that.

I play sports such as hurling and Gaelic, although these are finished for the winter. I occasionally jog with my sister to keep fit.

I play the piano and take part in my school's musical production each year.

As for hobbies I would like to have, another few musical instruments would be fun and I wish I had more time for reading. But I'm quite happy with what I have.

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shodan in Shotokan Karate

I'm at least waist deep into GTA online right now. And going for platinum trophy on Persona 4 golden.

Listening to rap very loudly in my FR-S.

Actually I've started taking an interest in cosmology and quantum theory. Yes, really.

#17 Kasey, Dec 21, 2013
  18. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe it's strange, I'm vegan, and I would never intentionally kill or harm an animal or put my money towards products that do (I check everything I plan on using for animal byproducts and animal testing), but ironically, I have an interest in specimens and articulated bone sculpture (though I can't bring myself to purchase these things). If I can get my hands on some flesh eating beetles, I would likely start a colony and collect roadkill specifically to gather and tag skull specimens and articulate bones. Around here the poor things never get picked up anyway, they usually sit on the sides of the roads for months. It's depressing, not to mention disgusting. :frowning2:

Sometimes I draw and paint, but I've been having a long dry spell. I play banjolele. I collect vinyl and books. Recently, I started collecting crystal orbs - so far, I have a smokey quartz, a slightly damaged amethyst, and some sort of green stone that wasn't identified, maybe fluorite. I play video games.

I'd like to try fire spinning. I think it seems fun.

19. william123

I play guitar.

By the way, AlamoCity, I think that is a really really cool hobby.

20. AlamoCity

I understand what you mean. It's kinda hard to want something but be ethically bound not to buy it knowing that your purchase increases the demand for something. At least roadkill is outside of the economy (usually haha).

Thanks! I wish I could play an instrument. Sadly, I'm musically challenged :dry:.