1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

same sex mariage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by markosss, Dec 21, 2013.

1. markosss

I live in a place where same sex marriage is not recognised so I dont know several things about it can you help me? Can I travel to an other country and get married there? Can I still perform a marriage in my coyntry and just not recognised and what if I get married and travel to a place that punish homosexuals????

2. kind of depends on where you are, as long as you are some place you are not going to get hurt for being who you are, it does not matter what you do, they simply are not going to recognize it.

Now if you go someplace where it is legal and do get married, if they ever do finally allow same sex marriage where you are , they usually bring in those who have been married in other jurisdictions, so having been married in another legal place rather than just a "pretend ceremony" anywhere has a reason, it just means waiting for the thing to happen in your place to get it recognized.

so your reasons to travel and get it legitimate are - it may be legal where you live eventually AND some people just want to have what is considered a real one rather than just a non-official - even if it is not recognized.

3. matty13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all, it's unfortunate that being yourself isn't currently tolerated where you live.
    Also, are you plannning to get married soon?

If so, yes there are many countries where you can go to get married, however local laws are different in each individual country and in some cases state or county, so make sure that you know the law before you go! If your partner is from another country which has marriage equality the process will be easier than if you are both foreign. However if you return to your country they will almost definitely not recognise your marriage.

Finally, you don't have to come out to everyone, just the people you want to, so if you travel to another country (even with your partner) that isn't tolerant of gay people, then why do they need to know that you're gay?
    I am lucky that I come from a very tolerant place but at the same time, I don't see the need for everyone to know my business.
    If you must travel to a place that isn't tolerant, be careful and be sensible.