1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimistic people, where are you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by benjy497, Dec 21, 2013.

1. benjy497

benjy497 Guest

While reading a good bunch of threads here and there on many different topics, I was amazed at how pessimistic most people are. I see myself as a pretty ''half-full glass'' thinking guy. When I consider a certain situation and its outcome(s), I tend to favor the positive rather than the negative, while still balancing the two point of views. I still have faith in humanity while most of people surrounding me don't. I think humans naturally have the potential to be good, I'm confident on my life goals, I'm really not into arguing, etc.

I've been repeatedly told that I'm idealistic and that I base my life on magical thinking, and it was almost said as an insult. I admit that staying happy all the time is often a challenge (even for me) and that it's almost impossible to stay permanently happy. I have my own problems and many insecurities. But is there people on here who, like I do, tend to look at the positive rather than the negative and who have fond feelings for humans (most of the time)? (&&&) :3

2. i always look for the positive and its only bad for me becuase i dont think of the worst at all, but if the worst does/did happen thats when i would deal with it. kinda bad? i guess lol. but i always try to be happy/positive as i spent 90% of my early life and teen years being so miserable but now its changed and i feel like a better person for it.

i do get random days though where a sadness just is in me and i just cant shake it but the next day is a new day and 99% of the time it goes the next day! cant be happy all the time but i try my best :slight_smile:

3. Nikky DoUrden

I think people come to this forum mostly for support so it might seems like people are "pesimistic" when they actually seek some empathy ? just my 2cent :slight_smile:

4. benjy497

benjy497 Guest

I see myself in what you're saying. I spent most of my teenage years alone in my room doing my business and sometimes especially at night I would just lock myself up in the bathroom and cry. But I was always happy during the day and deep inside there was always this light of hope. I think I was biologically designed to be happy (!). But there are still some days where I feel blue and worried for some reason. I cry a lot and I feel wonderful afterward! :slight_smile:

5. Hexagon

There was an argument about optimism and pessimism a few months ago. I resolutely maintain that everyone is a realist - they generalise from past experience and make realistic assumptions about the future. I had an argument with a teacher when I was eight about that ridiculous 'glass half empty' thing, and I won it.

Its worth noting that both optimism and pessimism deliberately make false assumptions, making them incorrect by definition. Why is optimism better anyway?

I would like to finish this ill-conceived rant by pointing out that pessimists bring umbrellas.

6. AlamoCity

I am not an optimist but I think you really can't expect many LGBT folks to be optimists. Many of us have had mental anguish over this issue since we were cognizant of our attractions/identity and as such have a difficult time finding the silver lining in things. They say people in their youth tend to be optimists who later evolve to pessimists (or, as Hexagon said, realists) by understanding how the world actually is and works. That said, I believe many LGBT folks were robbed of the youthful naiveté stage because of our various societies' ways of treating the subject of sexual orientation and identity.

That said, I really wish I could be an optimist. It would do wonders to my blood pressure.

7. AKTodd

I consider myself an optimisti.

I had a pretty crappy childhood for reasons that had nothing to do with sexuality. From that I was pretty messed up going into college. But I got better (with the help of some friends:slight_smile:) and in the process I also learned to both look for the good and the 'bright side' of things while also being prepared to adapt, adjust, or otherwise just deal with the situation when if it doesn't work out. And I learned that I'm strong enough to deal with a hell of a lot of crap and stay standing.

So far it's worked out pretty well.

Todd

8. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am definitely an optimist. I have driven many friends a little crazy in the past because I do, as hexagon pointed out, make deliberate assumptions about the world. :slight_smile: I am an optimist because I like being an optimist. I don't think everyone needs to convert to optimism or anything, but I am happy.

I don't think sexuality has much to do with optimism or pessimism inherently, I think people who have been or are enduring pain through discrimination and prejudice could be pessimistic because of their experience, but their experience is not related to sexuality, but bigotry in my opinion.

9. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I consider myself to be an optimist. I like to look at the brighter sides of things. If I fail at something, I consider it as an opportunity to improve and make myself even better

10. I really consider myself a realist, I just extrapolate from the past. No I do not wear rose colored gasses.

glass half full/empty? It is completely full - half water half air. :thumbsup:

11. Kellyve

Optimist right here :slight_smile:

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me the glass isn't half full, or half empty, it's broken!

I'm a cautiously optimistic pessimist, who is fond of humor and irony.

13. Kreiger

Sometimes I switch between the two. Is that cheating?

14. benjy497

benjy497 Guest

That made me smile. I love that way to see it. ^^

15. Hexagon

Or 99.9% vacuum...

16. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would consider myself a realist. Maybe my view tends to be skeptical, even cynical, but I'd hardly call it pessimistic - it's certainly positive when the prospect for something good to happen is high.