1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marching band

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thesharkamander, Dec 21, 2013.

1. thesharkamander

I'm pretty sure there are more queer people in my school's marching band than our GSA.
    'Cuz thinking about my friends in marching band...
    Only like 20% of them are cishet.

So are any of you in marching band? :slight_smile:

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That made me laugh. My mom was in the marching band, but I don't even play an instrument.

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I high school I played mellophone in Marching and Pep Band, and single and later double French Horn in Symphonic (concert) band. I was in a show marching and contest concert band in high school.

During undergrad I played in the pep band for four semester and played, Mellophone, Clarinet and bass Clarinet. I am well versed in the way of instruments, but I can't afford to own my own.

4. Doorway

I can't play the piano but I can play your organ! (*rimshot). Actually, I play both :grin:

Come to think of it, there are at least 3 gay kids in my band class, and they all play brass and winds. Go figure :icon_wink

5. My Two Wings

I was in marching band in ninth grade, and I hated it and quit and never wanted to do it again. Practicing was a pain in the ass (losing any amount of summer time sucked), the band director was an asshole, his brother (who transposed the music we played) was a condescending ass, the bass drum I had to carry was too heavy, the harness was a piece of crap, being in the drumline required me to memorize a bunch of stupid cadences (as well as the music and choreography), and our marching band sucked anyways so we never won competitions. The director was even a bit dickish when I told him I was quitting, so I was glad to be done with it.

Also, as far as I knew, there was only one open gay guy in marching band.

6. I was in High School , of course I am well out of that now. I can't really tell you numbers though, I really only remember one other lesbian in the entire school.

(we are talking about 500 students each year for 4 years) somewhat rotating as each year a set graduated and another set cam in, plus it was in an area where a lot of people were moving in an out due to the work environment.

7. Projectfabulous

I'm in marching band :grin: As far as I know, there are only 2 gay guys in our band (myself included) and we are both in the closet (although I am very stereotypical and he not so much(and we play the same instrument(I don't really get all of these parentheses))). There's probably more, but I don't if anyone else is.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I marched as flute my freshman year, but later I only did concert band and orchestra (marching was too much for my courseload). There were a couple other gay guys, including the only two guys in color guard. One of them also played flute, so I'm sure people suspected me because I was the only other male flutist and being friendly with him.