1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Face: Is it real?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Dec 21, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

Do y'all believe certain men (or women, although the article referenced deals with males only) have "gayface?"

I was looking at one of the first happy couples married in Utah, Seth Anderson and Michael Ferguson, and noticed that the one on the right of the picture (Michael Ferguson) basically tripped my "gaydar" (well duh! but I mean that if I had seen his picture without knowing he was getting married to a man, I would have suspected he was gay) (Here's a link to the gaydar thread recently started by Wasp that made me interested).

[​IMG]

One of my friends suspected that I might be gay before I came out to him and said he couldn't put his finger on it but suspected that I was gay for some reason. Perhaps I have "gay face," who knows.

That said, an interesting article in Scientific American from 2009 (There's Something Queer about That Face ) basically stated that many people can tell if someone's gay, even when viewing a person's image for just a fraction of a second and even when only shown a portion of the males faces. People identified the correct sexual orientation of the men's pictures at "levels greater than chance." Now, I haven't read the actual paper but even if the accuracy is slightly better than random, do y'all believe you can identify an LGBT person by simply looking at their face? I know "gaydar" is more related to the whole person's way of acting, looking, dressing, etc. but this is more related strictly to the face of the person.

Note: I use the phrase "gay face" because that was one of the terms used in the article and don't mean it in an insulting way.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's all about the high eyebrows.

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

The guy in the photo doesnt really trip my gaydar, but I know what you mean. Some of the guys I meet set me off and they have a sort of peculiar look to them.

4. apostrophied

Well the purple sweatshirt does raise some doubts lol.

I think that the "gay face" is probably often a mix of more feminine features as well as other clues such as clothes and general behavior.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Funny in that I have a friend who makes a lot of blunt assessments, some of which wouldn't fly on here (I already know that), talks about a heavy brow or a "scrunch face" as something that is very masculine. Eyebrows that are very high and arched, or that angle upward, are not considered as masculine as those that make a guy look like a thug.

6. Ridiculous

Gay face definitely exists but I wouldn't say either of those in that image really had it.

7. Data

Data Guest

I think it's that huge happy smile and the eyebrows.

Usually something I see women do.

8. RainyViolinist

I'm not sure but I think it might be that people with gay face have softer facial features. That and the way one smiles can set my gaydar off.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Which, if true, might tie back to a genetic explanation.

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A lot of gay men I've seen in pictures have a certain look... it's hard to describe, but their eyes seem... larger? and more detailed? almost like they're squinting. Not quite a "baby face", but that might come closest to what I'm trying to say. And it's probably some combination of facial expressions and in some cases, being born with a different makeup than your "average" male.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a one-way thing: There are some people where you can look at their face and be pretty sure they're gay, but there are definitely people who are gay who do not have "gay face"

There's a whole subset of cognitive psychology that looks at things like facial structures, face recognition patterns, and such. It would be interesting to see someone do a large, well designed study on this and see what would come of it.

12. Xochipilli

I think so. I'm not sure what makes gay face gay, but I know I have it going on in 6/10 pictures I take.
    xD

#12 Xochipilli, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Someone on a faculty somewhere ought to be studying this. It would be interesting! It might also make people self conscious if they end up with a lexicon of traits. They already have theories on which hand one uses and a hair whorl, something I hadn't heard about until I read about it last year or so.

14. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can actually tell if a guy is gay by looking at their face. It is really weird. I'm not right all the time lol. They have this feminine aura surrounding them. They can be very masculine but give off a slight tint of femininity. Most straight people I've notice don't see this.

15. method

Not sure there is a gay face, but I think at least some gay men have a tendency to hold their head at a slight offset, as the guy on the right does - that'll usually trip my gaydar off, as it does in this case.

[​IMG]

Matt Bomer has it here too

#15 method, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  16. SFSorrow

Interesting, I've been told this before, and that gay guys have different neck movements when talking. I've never picked up on anyone else doing it but apparently I do it too.

17. leer

I guess there is a certain look on a gay guy and to me personalty it a bit of a turn off.

18. Colours

Yeah, he doesn't have a gay face per se but the huge smile kind of gives him away.

19. Nikky DoUrden

I don't know about you guys but the following guy doesn't look gay at all
    (and im not cynical lol)

[​IMG]

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This comment about masculine gay guys having this "something" is common. I've heard it and I know what you're talking out. Not all of them have it, but some sure do. It's either something that is slightly pretty and too put together or something too intense and desirous.

Aside from this face topic, one of my friends said that every gay guy, no matter how masculine and how much of a jock he is, how sturdy he is, or how well he holds his liquor, has some quirk that is feminine or atypical, such as being overly neat, having a lap dog, or something else that will be very inconsistent. I actually think it makes sense, because I took notice of that after he said it and sort of see it. For some reason, uber-masculine straight guys tend not to have the inconsistent attributes.