1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever wonder if life would be better if you weren't LGBT+

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I sometimes wonder if I was in the heterosexual 90% than the minority, that it should have happened to someone else.

I don't know but I think life would be easier if I wasn't a gay genderqueer guy.

2. Hexagon

I struggle to imagine this, to be honest. If I wasn't trans, would that make me a cis-guy or a cis-girl? I can't really imagine being a girl, and I don't even know where my GQness comes into that. And as for sexuality, its kind of part of me. So I suppose the answer to this is maybe, but then I wouldn't be me. So yeah, queer and happy.

3. BudderMC

I think about this quite often - probably almost daily, to be honest. And I've never come to an answer.

It's really easy for me to say "oh yeah, if I liked girls, then I could find a date much more easily and I wouldn't feel so different". But when I get a little more introspective, I don't think that's entirely true. Part of the reason I have challenges in trying to date is my own self esteem and other problems. No, having a tiny dating pool because I'm gay doesn't help, but it isn't the biggest issue I realistically face yet.

On the other hand, being gay and dealing with self acceptance and coming out has taught me a lot of good and bad things. I could make a list for both sides, but ultimately I think it's trained me to be far more self-aware and appreciative of the value of good health (physical, mental, emotional, etc.), which I wouldn't trade for the world.

tl;dr I think my life might seem better, but I'm not sure it would actually be better.

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Might be easier. No better I don't think though.

5. leer

when I was coming to turns with everything I did question if Id be happier straight it took time but I figured out that I know no other lifestyle than a gay one because it part of me .

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Better? No. I like myself.

Easier or more comfortable? Maybe.

7. Emulator

I used to think I would go with the flow. But after a while it's difficult to force it, especially since the proof is right there. I'm fine with it, though. So maybe life would have been better, maybe it would have been worse. It would definitely have been different.

8. thekillingmoon

Mine? No, being gay is the least of my problems right now. Though it's undeniably easier to find a partner when you're straight.

9. AKTodd

Nope, never wondered this. By the time I figured out I was gay, I'd already gone through so much else that liking sex with men barely qualified as a minor speedbump. And I'd already spent more than half my life telling 'the majority' to go f**k itself, I'd live how I choose.
    What was one more reason?

Todd

10. freeskies

Yeah! I still think about it at times... If i were heterosexual, I wouldn't have gone through a lot of all that crazy self questioning in my teenage years. I think i would be more focused and stop worrying about "coming out". I think if i were heterosexual, i wouldn't be extremely self conscious.

11. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Easier? Certainly. For one substantial parts of the world would lose an excuse to denigrate, marginalise, institutionalise or kill me.

Would I feel better? Probably not...Unless you gave me a potion that stopped me giving a crap about people.

12. C P

C P

In the sense of accepting your sexuality, which has been really tough, you're damn right being straight would make things a lot easier for numerous reasons.

With all that aside though, I can't really picture being straight other than what I see in others like my family and such.

I have tried to see girls as something beyond friendship before, but it just doesn't work. I wasn't into girls truthfully even before being gay hit me(thought maybe I just wasn't into the dating thing or anything), so I just don't get attraction to girls at all.

#12 C P, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

13. Better? I think it would have been different

the first real long term relationship I got in was abusive, if a man had beaten me as bad as she did , he probably would have killed me. (although in retrospect - the police might have arrested a man doing it to me, maybe maybe not, many of my friends being abused say the situation keeps going)

I probably would have been married and divorced more than once and not as professionally accomplished.

doubt any of this is better.

I am not sure life is what you can force it, your are born into certain circumstances and they end up directing a whole lot of your life.

14. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would life be better if I didn't start transitioning during highschool, have to force my body to majorly physically change, go by a new name, pay thousands of dollars on medications and tens of thousands more on surgeries, go out with girls instead of guys?

No. I'd be mentally ill anyway and that's the only thing wrong with me. On top of which I'd of never met my boyfriend, someone I will (for once) try my hardest to keep.

15. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Life would have been so much easier. One less thing to worry about it. Then again I rather be gay than straight.

16. Oxelotl

Life would be a lot easier that's for sure. I'd be able to actually bring my girlfriend home or not be paranoid about holding her hand or kissing her in public. And there would be less panick about me having to come out, and when talking about girls I wouldn't have to pretend I like them when deep down I like guys.

But that's it really. I'd still be paranoid, and worried about my body and insecure about my skills and doubt that potential girlfriends would like me. So Easier? Yes. Better? Not really.

17. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    no way i love being les and i would still find it hard to mingle with boys. plus im doin the planet a favour.

18. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought that back at the start when I hadn't accepted myself. But now I think being bi is awesome and I wouldn't go straight if I had the choice because then I would be missing out on liking women as well. It's society that needs to change, not me :slight_smile:

19. WindSong

WindSong Guest

There are a lot of groups of people that have been historically discriminated against for their race, gender or sexuality, for instance. I don't think imagining that a member of a historically disenfranchised group could somehow pass as a member of an entitled group or become a white, straight male, for example, helps make life better for them. A gay person is no lesser or better than any other person. All people should be treated with respect and human dignity, and that is something that I am truly invested in imagining.

20. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't imagine it.
    If I was born as a guy? Heck yeah.
    If I was born as a girl? Heck no.